Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Guest Blog: Ann Tracy Marr

Love it. Another chance to blog to thousands of people.

Hate that it's another chance to make a fool of myself in front of thousands of people.

When I put my heart into writing, I expose myself, risking indifference, ridicule, or disgust. It's is a hazard of the job. If I'm lucky (or inspired), I'll get a "hmm" of interest or outright enjoyment. So -- here goes me, naked and vulnerable. I hope you love my blog rather than hate it.

I am Ann Tracy Marr. My credentials are three fantasy romances (a series) published with Awe-Struck Publishing. I incorporate mystery, magic and humor into my plots. To prove my point, about making a fool of myself, let's pick apart my third book -- the one that went POD October 25th. (Hint, hint.) The title is To His Mistress.

I am not very good at writing blurbs. I am better at writing books. The one sentence grabber for To His Mistress is not the greatest. It doesn't jump out and grab the imagination. The longer blurb (what might go on the back cover of the paperback) says:

"What is it with men? Let them get an idea in their head, and it turns into a piece of granite.

"Look at Alexander, Lord Shelton. In an ill-considered moment, he compromises Katherine Scoville. Any other hot blooded peer of the realm would do his duty and wed her with a smile on his face, even if he had murder in his heart. Not Shelton. He decides Katherine is a slut. No way is she eligible to marry the Earl of Shelton.

"Oh, he marries her, but he doesn't like it. Not one little bit.

"Then he realizes that Katherine suits him to a tee. Not as a wife, but as a mistress. So Shelton goes about the intricate business of divorce in the Regency.

"Just wait until Katherine figures out what Shelton is up to. You almost feel sorry for him, the way he is digging his own grave."

I stumbled my way around writing this blurb, trying to be witty, sophisticated, whatever. I finally got disgusted with myself and just blurted it onto the paper and ended up fairly pleased with it. It gracefully tells the prospective reader that To His Mistress is a Regency. It tells you the very basics of the romantic plot; they had to get married and he hates it. In the last paragraph it hints that his hatred will not last, but he isn't going to win Katherine easily.

It's not a good blurb because it tells you next to nothing about Katherine and it might confuse the prospective reader. And yes, the genre is Regency romance, but when I promote To His Mistress, it is paranormal or fantasy romance. The stupid blurb fails to mention magic, which is an integral element of the plot. Told you I'm not very good at writing blurbs.

The most pertinent information left out of the blurb is what I like most about To His Mistress. You see, in my paranormal Regency series, King Arthur is not a myth. Arthur lived, ruled Britain, built Camelot, set up the Round Table, and argued with Merlin. Then Arthur died. Camelot and the Round Table remained in charge of Britain. Time passed, kings and queens sat on the throne, but Parliament didn't get invented. The Round Table still rules. Best of all, if Arthur was real, so was Merlin and his magic.

So there is magic in To His Mistress. In just about every other respect, the book is a conventional Regency, but the Round Table replaces Parliament and there is magic. Neither Katherine (heroine) nor Alexander (mud spattered hero) know about magic, but it is there. Alexander marries Katherine because he compromised her. He doesn't want to do it, but he has to. Magic makes him do it. Katherine marries Alexander because she has to, not because she loves him to bits. Magic makes her do it. Then, because Alexander is so impossibly stubborn and typically aristocratic, he moves heaven and earth to get what he wants: a divorce and Katherine as his mistress. (I guess magic can't make miracles.)

Again, thanks to magic, Katherine, who is delightfully clueless (the reviewer's words) takes her time figuring out that Alexander is divorcing her. When she does, watch out. Clueless is not the same as stupid. (Obviously, magic is no better at happy endings than it is at miracles.)

Magic is my favorite part of To His Mistress. It squirms around and does neat things; it adds spice and unexpected moments. Magic takes an implausible plot to another level -- makes it make sense.

I think that is what has me feeling exposed here. I wrote four Regency romances (the fourth is on the editor's desk) hoping people will enjoy my magical twist on a beloved genre. I don't feel uneasy with Regencies, or romances, or other types of fiction. I don't mind saying that I don't write good blurbs. It's the magic. Discussing magic makes me feel silly - uncertain - naked and vulnerable.

Still, I love writing it, so I'll put up with the feeling.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Ann Tracy Marr writes fantasy Regency romance. To His Mistress, the third book in her Banshee Brigade series, debuted in paperback October 25. Keeper of the Grail is in the works. A computer consultant in the Midwest, Marr lives with her husband, two cats, and plots that bounce off the wall.

Visit her at www.anntracymarr.com
Buy her books at http://www.awe-struck.net/authors/ann_tracy_marr.html

Round Table Magician Ebook ISBN: 978-1-587496066
Thwarting Magic Ebook ISBN: 978-1-587496479
To His Mistress Ebook ISBN: 978-1-587497209
Keeper of the Grail Awaiting release

1 comment:

Debby said...

I never thought of how tough it would be to put yourself out there. I loved the post.
debby236 at gmail dot com