Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Mischief Night - Halloween Eve -

Today is Halloween "Eve" -- what we called "Mischief Night"  when I was a kid. We'd roam the neighborhood in groups and play (hopefully) harmless pranks on our neighbors. A biggie was "decorating" someone's house with strands of toilet tissue. (Okay, I know, what a pain in the you-know-what, but it was hilariously funny to 11-year-olds!)

Now, I was a pretty tame kid and never did much more than look, but I do remember having a lot of fun running around with my friends, just thinking about letting loose and doing something crazy.

I think Mischief Night has gone the way of the do-do bird, and I'm sure that's a good thing! But I have to admit to feeling a little sorry for the kids today.Does anyone else remember Mischief Night? Anyone who used to be more creative, more daring, than I was? :-)

8 comments:

Stormy said...

I wasn't much for the mischief when it came to someone else's property. Actually, I was pretty much a chicken, scared to death I'd either get caught by the owner...or worse, my parents! One of the funniest pranks I heard of kids doing though was taking instant potatoes and sprinkling them all over someones yard. When the frost would hit it the next morning it would puff up and stick to the ground...and I think it tended to stink when the sun would hit it later in the day.

Debby said...

I enjoyed mischief night but it is no more because of some kids who got carried away. What we could can no longer be done.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Leah St. James said...

I guess so, Debby. It's understandable, but kind of sad!

Leah St. James said...

Oh my gosh, Stormy...how funny! :-) I think I'm glad the kids in my town weren't that clever!

Na said...

I don't really recall mischeif night but every Halloween there is the sounds of fireworks going off. I sort of like Halloween for the kids when there is still light out or not too dark. It feels safer and less scary that way. Plus time for them to go home and brag about their loot.

Leah St. James said...

Hmmm, fireworks. Now that's really different!

Larion aka Larriane Wills said...

we called it begger's night when i was a kid. does that date me? geez, i hope not

Leah St. James said...

I never heard of begger's night! How neat! Maybe it's a regional thing. I'm from NJ, but they don't do Halloween here in VA like we did. At least not this part of VA!