Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Immortal Curses (Another Chance to Win)

As a kid, I always used to think that Immortality would be a wonderful thing. I still sometimes believe that. However, like many of you, I read Anne Rice. And suddenly I became aware of all the other problems that come with Immortality—namely, at some point, all the people you love, if they aren’t immortal as well, they… depart. Then what do you have? Add into that the problem of keeping immortality secret—folks would get suspicious, and you couldn’t really hang out with your fifth-generation grandkids.

So immortality kind of lost its flare in that respect. It did hang on in the Writers Brain though. I love working with immortal entities. But I’ve developed my own set of reasons for each set-up as to why immortality isn’t a fantastic existence.

I prefer to have more dangerous reasons, not just that the heart will hurt. Though that is reason enough in itself. I like curses. I like dealing with the things beyond others control. The forced Immortality that made Armand such a memorable character in The Vampire Chronicles.

And I especially like putting that curse on characters who were, prior to the curse, good and decent people.

Say, like, honorable knights who fought for noble ideals.

Like maybe the Templar Knights… who were only guilty of the same curiosity all of us share. A curse, perhaps, you or I might suffer because we share the base fault of man.

Templar Knights who were decent, noble men who are now damned to fight for eternity, their souls growing ever darker, until they are shells of what they once knew and become knights veined with evil, destined to destroy all they’ve pledged themselves to.

Tor seemed to like that idea too, and the first book in The Curse of the Templars releases in January. The second in September.



















Will they be saved, or will they suffer eternal damnation?


For more information, you can visit The Curse of the Templars on my website.

In the meantime, if you comment below, and share your thoughts on what immortality would be like, I’ll draw a random name, and although you’ll have to wait just a bit longer, I’ll send you a signed copy of Immortal Hope. I’ll post the winner here along with follow up instructions.

~Claire
www.claireashgrove.com

5 comments:

Na said...

I have always found immortality to be fascinating but recently I read a book that opened me up to the downfall of immortality. If you can live forever with regrets or with a love that does not get returned the immortal might as well be cursed. It fascinates me but I'm more aware that the reality of it may not be a good time always. I imagine you'll make mistakes, have regrets, love and lost like everyone else, except you have a lifetime and longer to consider it and have to learn to deal with loss as people you care about live out their life.

Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

Virginia said...

I don't think I would want to be immorital, I just couldn't imagin living forever. I believe in the true cycle of life.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

Debby said...

I always like reading about the Templar Knights. I visited Malta and they shaped their history quite a bit. Immortality would allow for delving into all your interests. You would not have to worry about your back bothering you.

Sherry Gloag said...

Interesting twist on immortallity. No, I wouldn't want immortalllity, it'd be too lonely. Best wishes with your new book and its sequeal.

Claire Ashgrove said...

Virginia is the contest winner. Thank you everyone for entering! Virginia, please email me at Claire@claireashgrove.com, if you don't receive an email from me in the next few minutes.