Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Guest Blog: Corrina Lawson on Superheroes!

Thanks for having me today!

I'm a writer, mom, geek and superhero.

Okay, the last is not literally true but I like to think so.

I love superheroes and have read comics since I could read. My latest release from Samhain Publishing, Phoenix Rising, is due out November 8th, and it's a superhero romance.
"He was born to be a weapon. For her, he must learn to be a hero."

It's a great story and my version of the X-Men but it's not very Halloween-like.
So while I was trying to think of something fun to do here for Halloween, I realized I'd just attended an event that features a lot of costumes.

New York Comic Con.

The best part of NYCC wasn't the amazing vendors, the great panels about all aspects of comics and the really cool dealer's room. The best part was free.

It was the cosplayers.

"Cosplay" is a shortened form of "playing at a costumed superhero." Over the years it's become more accepted at comic cons and the practice has grown tremendously. I looked at it as kinda odd--I'm not a big costume girl--and then I attended NYCC and I was blown away.

There was a young man dressed as Superman who looked so perfect that little kids kept running up to him saying "Superman!" He posed for all photos happily. There was a little boy who become lost and went up to a Flash coplayers because Flash is his favorite hero. Flash stepped into the part and helped him find his parents. And, oh wow, the care in these uniforms.

Superman was my favorite but there was a great Doctor Who--including a female Doctor--and some awesome Captain America and lots and lots of Deadpools. Deadpool seems to be very popular among the teenage set.

And I thought, what fun. But I suck at costumes and can never figure out one that's awesome that I can make.

So I ask--what were your favorite costumes, either from now or when you were a kid?

Answer in the comments below and enter to win a chance for a $10 Amazon gift certificate!

4 comments:

Eliza March [Elizabeth Marchat] said...

Love this cover. It's very catchy. I was a pumpkin one year.

Jean P said...

Very cool looking cover. Favorite costume as a kid was a clown, course after that year never had much use for clowns *L*

Jean
skpetal AT hotmail DOT com

phoenixemrys said...

I love going to Fan Expo in Toronto every year mainly because of the costumes. We have seen some incredible, mindboggling costumes there. The work some people put into their creations is astonishing. While not my favorite, a couple of years ago we saw a young man wearing a green g string with a full green lantern costume airbrushed on his bod. It was... startling to say the least.

But my favorite this year was a spectacularly vast young man dressed like Thor. And, oh, mama, did he look the part. He was tall and muscular with thighs and biceps that went on for days. My only criticism of the ensemble was he didn't have the long hair, but honey, with shoulders like that I wouldn't have taken points off, if ya know what I mean! Yum!

Kelly said...

In grade school, one of my classmates came to the Hallowe'en carnival as a Visitor. He even stayed in character the whole time. It was awesome!