Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, October 10, 2011


I’m a Dragon Lady, Like it or Not

Depending on which horoscope you follow, if you believe in them, there are characteristics that define you. There are also characteristics that elude you. For me, it’s a mixed bag.

In the Chinese horoscope, I was born in the Year of the Dragon, whose motto is “I Reign.” The Dragon has also been described as “the greatest non-conformist and charismatic presence in the Chinese horoscope.” To an extent, I agree with the above. However, there is more to my particular animal sign and me.

Dragons are self-assured, resourceful, adaptable, and enthusiastic. For me, these qualities are iffy. On the flip side, they’re arrogant, tactless, hot-headed, critical, unpredictable, and quick-tempered. I can so relate to this uglier side. I tend to lose my temper easily, and when I’m angered, I can be tactless and downright straightforward and, yes, unpredictable and critical, whether or not it’s appropriate. And that’s where the Dragon Lady in me comes out.

To better know me, I’ll skip the likes (They’re not me.) and go to a Dragon’s dislikes. This mythical creature doesn’t like being ordered around, not into unnecessary bureaucracy, not happy being told her ideas won’t work, and has no use for people who don’t put 100% into their endeavors.

A dragon is able to make friends but prefers solitude. She has heart. Her partner in love should be a tiger. Together, their relationship has been described as “a gutsy combo with plenty of sparks to feel the passions and fire.” To that end, I can tell you it’s quite true. I married a Tiger 39 years ago.

All this is just a very small part of my sign as it relates to me. I have only 250 words (I’m already over!) and can’t possibly go in-depth. It was hard to decide what to include and what to leave out. But you now have a little insight to Jannine Corti Petska.

Does your horoscope (in whatever form) influence your day-to-day life? I don’t allow mine that much power. Does it describe you perfectly? Or is it a hit or miss, as is mine?

Jannine Corti Petska was born in New York but raised in Southern California. Her parents' first language was Italian, and Jannine was raised in an Old World environment. She began writing romance novels when her three daughters were young and she was a stay-at-home mom. In-between writing and caring for her family, she tutored Italian, Spanish, German, and English as a Second Language at a local college. Although she loves placing her stories in medieval Italy, she has also written romantic tales of the cowboy in the American West. To find out more about Jannine, please visit her website.


Debby said...

I love dragons and that is what drew me to your post. I was born in the year of the snake. Born in January, you have to check and see when the year ended. I was also born on the cusp as far as astrology is concerned. It doe snot affect my life and is hit or miss for me as well. debby236 at gmail dot com

Susan Blexrud said...

Dragon Lady? You? Gosh, Jannine, I've always thought of you as more pussy cat than dragon. I'm on the cusp of Libra and Scorpio, and I can see characteristics of both in my personality. One thing for sure, I'm complicated, which I think is true of most of us cusp folk.

The Long and the Short of It Reviews said...

Jannine Corti-Petska had been unable to post a comment, so sent me her replies:

Hi Debby,

I think most people have the hit or miss with their horoscopes, no matter which one they follow.
But they're fun to read.

Thanks for coming by and commenting.


Hi Susan,

LOL, I sure have you fooled. I lean more toward dragon than pussy cat.

I'm very complicated, too. At least that's what I'm told. My husband can attest to that!

Thanks so much for reading my post and commenting.

wanda f said...

Im also a dragon on the Chinese Zodiac personally I think they are the coolest animal on there :)