Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Character Interview With Shyann Devere of Into the Fire

Shyann Devere, the heroine of Into the Fire, broke away from her bustling catering business for a few minutes to let me ask her a few questions.  She assures me, she's put Luke (her hero) to work while she's with us, so she won't get too behind.

Cherie:  Thank you, Shyanne, for agreeing to be interviewed today.  I know things are going well for you since your appearance on Kitchen Twist, so I'm glad you could make it.

Shyann:  Yeah, Halloween seems to have been the beginning of a very busy season of parties.  I'm not complaining though.  It's the first time I've really felt in my element.

Cherie:  I'm so happy for you.  So, where are you originally from?

Shyann:  My family is from the Carolinas, but my parents moved us all to New York when my father got a lucrative job offer.  So, I consider myself a New Yorker.

Cherie:  Why did you decide to go on the show Kitchen Twist?

Shyann:  After I quit my sous chef job at Heat, I knew I wanted to do something different but related to food.  Catering gave me the freedom to be the one in charge of the operation.  I like being my own boss.  But, being an unknown meant I had to start from the bottom.  I figured an appearance on TV would jumpstart that process.  Boy was I right!  Business is booming.

Cherie:  Congratulations!  So, career is set.  What about love?

Shyann:  (Blushes adorably) Thanks to you and the show, Luke and I are back together, and everything's how it should be.

Cherie:  I couldn't get it out of Luke earlier.  Can you tell what happened in the pantry?

Shyann:  (Her lips tip up slightly) All I can say is Luke is good with his hands.

Cherie:  Well, I'll let you get back to business...and to Luke.  Thanks for stopping.

Shyann:  Thanks for all you've done for me.

Into the Fire


Months after he stole her affections—then her executive chef position—Shyann and Luke meet again under sizzling circumstances, competing head-to-head on a televised cooking show called Kitchen Twist. Each arrives with a motive: Luke intends to win back Shyann’s heart, even as she wants closure on the not-so-tasty heartbreak he once served up.

Luke knows culinary masterpieces require a delicate touch, but that knowledge is tossed out with the leftovers as he works to show Shyann he’s not such a bad guy. Now he pushes his skills to the limit to win the competition and satisfy a bet.

Can two top chefs resist each other as they move out of the pan and into the fire?


Silence reigned for half a minute before he reached out a hand and touched hers like a breezy
whisper. Her head went a little fuzzy at the warm contact. He shouldn’t still be able to affect her so

“I regret it went down the way it did, but why did you show me the exit before giving me a chance
to explain, not to mention—dress? Enlighten me, sugar cheeks?”

With a jerk, she pulled her hand free. He was really asking for it. Sugar cheeks? Seriously? Now
she knew he was only messing with her. She could give as well as she got.

“Tell you what. You win tonight, and I’ll give you your chance. You lose, we go our separate ways,
and you walk out all by yourself, big boy.”

A crooked grin formed on his face as he reached a hand toward her hair. He fingered an escaping curl
before she pulled away, leaving his hand hanging in mid-air.

“You can call me big boy all you want, but I’ll do you one better. How about if I win, I take you to
dinner, and you let me explain the whole situation?”

She felt her eyebrow rise and knew he’d read it as interest, but she didn’t care at the moment. “I
honestly don’t want to hear any explanation from you now or ever, but if I win? Which I will, of

“Then I’ll leave it up to you. If you want me to walk away, I will.” He took a step closer, placed his
hand on her shoulder, and leaned down, his mouth right next to her ear. “But if you want me to call you darling, sweetheart, and sugar cheeks all night long, I’ll do that too.”


Na said...

By putting Luke to work, I hope Shyann means he's cooking up a storm for us ;) Luke and Shyann's story sounds like a good one and I always like character interviews. They give me a chance to get to know a character better.

Debby said...

I love the character interviews. Great job!
debby236 at gmail dot com

Jean P said...

Character interviews are always interesting, love learning more about them.

Cherie Marks said...

I had such a great time putting the two I did today together. I'm glad they're interesting.

Thanks for stopping and commenting.