Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, September 22, 2011


Ten Things You Don’t Know About Me

In this day of social networking, it seems like everyone knows everything about everyone else. Visit Twitter, and you know what someone had for lunch. Visit Facebook, and you see all the pictures of their last birthday party. But I’ve managed to keep a few things to myself—including my embarrassing lunches—and now I’ll bare all and share them with you!

10. Lord and Lady Spy, my September release, is a Regency historical nod to the 2005 film Mr. and Mrs. Smith with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. This is not a secret. What most people don’t know is I didn’t want to see the film when it was released in theaters. I don’t like action films that much. I got the idea for Lord and Lady Spy after seeing a preview for the film on cable a few years after it came out. That’s when I finally watched the movie and why my book differs from the movie quite a bit.

9. I majored in opera my first year in college, and I have to know if my characters can carry a tune or not. I don’t always put it in my books, but I can’t write about a character if I don’t know how well they sing.

8. Sophia sings very well. She’s an alto. She, of course, can do just about anything (except fire a pistol). Adrian can do everything she can’t (including fire a pistol), but he sings woefully off-key.

7. I like to speak my dialogue aloud as I write. I use a horrible English accent that ensures I will never, ever make it as an audio book reader.

6. One of my favorite things about writing is it provides me an escape from the banalities of everyday life. I have a toddler I adore, but writing about spies is a welcome diversion after hours spent talking about Elmo.

5. Adrian, the hero of Lord and Lady Spy, has a secret spy library complete with a hidden panel and everything. I really want one of those.

4. Sophia, the heroine of Lord and Lady Spy, fears one reason her marriage is falling apart is because of multiple miscarriages. She’s been unable to produce an heir. I too suffered a miscarriage, and writing about Sophia’s struggles helped me to deal with my own pain from the loss of my baby.

3. I once had an author whose books I think are pretty sexy tell me she blushed reading one of my sex scenes. I think she might blush again when she reads Lord and Lady Spy.

2. Sophia’s name in Lord and Lady Spy was originally Bridget. My editor asked me to change it because Bridget wasn’t an aristocratic name at that time. I still think of her as Bridget, though. Adrian was always Adrian.

1. Lord and Lady Spy is my 10th book! Ten! I can hardly believe it. In case you don’t know, I’m so grateful to all of my readers for buying my books and allowing me to do what I love.

Okay, so now I’ve spilled all of my deep, dark secrets. Tell us something fun about you.


No man can outsmart him...Lord Adrian Smythe may appear a perfectly boring gentleman, but he leads a thrilling life as one of England’s most preeminent spies, an identity so clandestine even his wife is unaware of it. But he isn’t the only one with secrets...

She’s been outsmarting him for years...Now that the Napoleonic wars have come to an end, daring secret agent Lady Sophia Smythe can hardly bear the thought of returning home to her tedious husband. Until she discovers in the dark of night that he’s not who she thinks he is after all...

ABOUT THE AUTHOR Shana Galen is the author of numerous fast-paced adventurous Regency historical romances, including the Rita-nominated Blackthorne’s Bride. Her books have been sold worldwide, including Japan, Brazil, Russia, Spain, Turkey, and the Netherlands, and have been featured in the Rhapsody and Doubleday Book Clubs. A former English teacher in Houston’s inner city, Shana now writes full time. She’s a wife, a mother, and an expert multi-tasker. She loves to hear from readers: visit her website at or see what she’s up to daily on Facebook and Twitter.

Leave a comment for the chance to win one of two copies of Lord and Lady Spy. Open to US and Canada readers only please.


May said...

Something about me:

Hmm...I read historical romances to escape from Dora! I have a baby girl and I think I have memorized all the episodes by now...

I can't sing to save my life... so definitely envy people who can sing... How do you major in Opera? Is there a singing exam?

Btw, I love the name Adrian... I plan to name my baby Adrian if I have a boy...

ShanaGalen said...

May, Baby Galen is a big Elmo fan, so I feel your pain. Yes, there is a signing exam to major in any musical specialty. I had to make an audition tape and the audition in person as well.

I think Adrian is a great name.

Jeanne M said...

Shana -
I loved the interview and getting to know your background including that you majored in opera your first year in college. When my boys were toddlers I used to sing for them all the time but unfortunately like Adrian had a habit of singing off-key. This is hard to admit because when I was a teenager I was in All City Choir and actually used to have a good singing voice! My husband blamed it on them not caring what I sounded like!

My deep dark "secret" is that my very first "real job" was when I was 15 and tried being a door-to-door "saleswoman". I can't even remember now what company it was but it was some type of household product company. The only reaason I sold anything was because my friend's mothers felt sorry for me! Fortunately I didn't last long and got a job at the local newspaper as a proof-reader in the classified ad departmnet. Since "spell check" became popular my "self-editing has slowly declined in accuracy but my husband just mumbles "first the body than the mind".

ShanaGalen said...

Jeanne, I love signing to baby Galen, and the best thing is now she sings too! If she doesn't know the words, she just babbles something until she comes to a word she does know. I love it!

Sales is not my thing either. I was a telephone solicitor for a university for a few months. I think they paid e more than I made them.

Gail said...

I can't wait to get the chance to read your books Ms.Galen.

ShanaGalen said...

Gail, good luck with the contest, and thank for stopping by.

Joni said...

I would like to read this book. Please enter me in your giveaway. Thanks.


ShanaGalen said...

Good luck with the contest, Joni!

Lexi said...

Hmmm I dont think I have any good hidden things nobody knows. I do stop by the used book store and pick up books but always pay in cash and carry the books home in my purse so my husband wont give me that look when I walk in the door...a book addict I know.
So Shana do you like the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith? Even though it differs from your book idea?
This book sounds so great, I would LOVE to get my hands on a copy! Thanks for the chance to snag one!

eyesofblueice (at) gmail (dot) com

Robin said...

I can't sing. I used to play the trumpet and french horn.

Your books looks fantastic!

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Barbara E. said...

Loved the post and I'm dying to read Lord and Lady Spy. It sounds like such a fantastic story.

Barbed1951 at aol dot com

Molly said...

Now I'm curious which book of yours the author was reading when she blushed. If I don't have it already, I'll have to do some Kindle shopping. ;)

winnie said...

This was an interesting post, thanks for sharing! As for something about me... not that interesting but I found that I was quite flexible and started doing yoga to build on it and have loved it ever since :)

Thanks for the giveaway!


MomJane said...

I was thinking your story sounded a bit like a historical "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" or even "True Lies" which was so fun!

I love the premise and would love to read it.

Funny about the name, but good for your editor keeping the story true for the time.

jbandy8233 AT gmail DOT com

Virginia said...

Your book really sounds fantastic and I have been checking out the stores for it. Thanks so much for sharing it with us today.

Virginia said...

Sorry I forgot to leave my email


Charity said...

I am a huge klutz. I have, in the last 2 months, blacked my own eye, and broken a finger.

Charity Parkerson