Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Guest Blog: Elisabeth Naughton

Thanks so much to the Long & Short of It for inviting me to stop by during my Tempted blog tour! Tempted is the third book in my Eternal Guardians series, which just hit store shelves on September 6, 2011. The Eternal Guardians are seven warriors descended from the seven greatest heroes in all of Ancient Greece who protect the mortal realm from threats of the Underworld. Tempted is Demetrius’s story. He’s a descendent of the famed hero Jason and he hides a dark and deadly secret—one that could lead to the end of the world.

Tempted marks my seventh published book in just a little over two years. I sold my first book, a romantic suspense titled Stolen Fury, in 2008 and it was published in January of 2009. Readers often ask how I’m able to write so fast—seven books in two years is a lot! But the truth is that the first two books in my Stolen Series were already finished by the time I sold that first book, and I had already completed—and sold—the first book in my Eternal Guardians series before Stolen even released. I would love to say I can write a book in a month, but that’s not true. It generally takes me about 4 months to get a book finished, and even before I sit down and start writing, I’m plotting in my head, living with the characters, listening to them tell me “Yeah, that sounds good,” or “No way, you can’t write that about me!”

Writing is not an easy profession. While you’re learning the craft, you’re not getting paid. It’s like college all over again except without all the fun parties and without that college professor telling you you’re doing it right… Unless of course you’re submitting your work to agents and editors who then seem more than willing to tell you when you’re doing something wrong! I never planned to be an author—it wasn’t a career goal of mine. In fact, when I was teaching middle school science, one semester the administration asked me to teach a language arts class and I nearly choked. “Me? Teach writing? Are you nuts? I’m a SCIENCE teacher! What the heck do I know about writing?” Turns out…quite a bit.

I’d always been a big reader, and in college I aced all my writing classes. In grad school, I was the “editor” for all my friends and helped them rewrite all their papers (they all got A’s, by the way). And on my way to and from work when I was teaching I used to make up stories in my head. I’d hear a song on the radio and an entire story would pop into my mind. And I’d play with the characters for weeks before letting them go. At the time, I didn’t know I was “pre-writing”. I thought I was just killing time. Then I took a leave of absence from my teaching job and after about a month realized I was going to go nuts without something to do. So…to kill time…I sat down at the computer and started typing. I really thought I was just playing…a way to keep my mind active. But that playing turned into a story. And that story turned into a book. And then that book turned into another book, and before my year was over I realized…I was a writer. I decided not to go back to my teaching job and figured I’d give the writing a go and see what happened.

I got “the call” in February of 2008, almost exactly five years after I started writing. That first contract was for three romantic suspense books, which became my Stolen Series. At the time I sold those books, I’d already started writing Marked, book one in my Eternal Guardians series, so I quickly finished that and sent it to my agent. About eight months later, Marked sold and my second series, the Eternal Guardians, this one paranormal, was born. And it only took five years! Five years of not getting paid, hearing about all the things I was doing wrong when I subbed work to NY, and no super fun parties. BUT…it was five years where I honed my craft and learned the business. I met some fantastic writers during that time, paired up with my critique partner, Joan Swan (whom I still critique with today), and even though I didn’t sell right away, I know those five years gave me what I needed so that when I did eventually sell, I was able to put several books out fairly quickly and build a readership.

Not everyone gets to live his or her dream. But I am. I love putting words on paper, creating characters and worlds my readers can’t wait to dive into next. And even when I’m frustrated with a scene or the direction of a book, I remind myself that this is a job I never expected, but am so very thankful I get to do. And really, when the guys I get to interact with every day are as hunky as the Eternal Guardians, it’s definitely not a hardship!

To celebrate the release of Tempted, Sourcebooks is giving away two copies of Tempted (US/Canada shipping only). To be entered into the drawings simply comment and tell me what your dream is.


DEMETRIUS—He’s the hulking, brooding warrior even his fellow Guardians avoid. Too dark. Too damaged. And given his heritage, he knows it’s best to keep everyone at arm’s length.

Isadora is missing. The words pound through his head like a frantic drumbeat. For her own protection, Demetrius did all he could to avoid the fragile princess, his soul mate. And now she’s gone—kidnapped. To get her back, he’ll have to go to the black place in his soul he’s always shunned.

As daemons ravage the human realm and his loyalty to the Guardians is put to the ultimate test, Demetrius realizes that Isadora is stronger than anyone thought.

And finally letting her into his heart may be the only way to save them both.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: A former junior high science teacher, Elisabeth Naughton traded in her red pen and test-tube set for a laptop and research books. She now writes sexy romantic adventure and paranormal novels full-time from her home in western Oregon, where she lives with her husband and three children. Her work has been nominated for numerous awards, including the prestigious RITA Awards of Romance Writers of America, the Australian Romance Reader Awards, the Golden Leaf, and the Golden Heart. When not writing, Elisabeth can be found running, hanging out at the ball park, or dreaming up new and exciting adventures. Visit her at to learn more about her and her books. Her next book in the Eternal Guardians series, Enraptured, will be in stores in April 2012.


Sherie said...

Hi Elizabeth! I loved your Stolen Series! I read all three in a week I was so hooked! Cannot wait to read your newest release. My dream is to work in a huge Advertising firm in a major city like NYC or Chicago. I have a degree in marketing but since I work for bank, my dream is a little out of reach but not out of the picture!

Linda McDonald said...

My dream is to sell a novel and be able to make a living at it. Or at least somewhat of a living at it. :) My other dream is to spend time traveling and writing about the places I travel to.
Congrats your latest release and the continuing series.


monica said...

My dream is to travel and visit many of the places i read about. I would love to visit Ireland.

HockeyVampiress said...

My dream is to pull myself out of debt, build my own dream house or buy one that was built in this century and make a living at writing or editing.


hockeyvampiress at hotmail dot com

pamerd said...


My dream would be to visit exotic places I have read and heard about. I do not travel much so I would love to do that.

I currently have 20 pages to go on Marked (love it) looking forward to reading the next two.

Victoria said...

My dream is to have my boys be happy successful people.
Love this series. Thank you.

Na said...

My dream is to be able to travel the world and on top of that list is an Alaskian cruise, visiting Scottish castles and riding a horse in Englad. I would also love to visit historical sites and places that re-enact historical lifestyles. That would be such a cool experience!

Crossing my fingers for the chance to read Tempted :)

Cambonified (at) yahoo (dot) com

GayleC said...

Lately I dream of a quiet day to read a book, and finish a cup of coffee. :)

Barbara E. said...

My dream is to take a trip to Great Britain and spend several weeks seeing everything I've read about for so many years. I'd love to have my sister accompany me, but I don't know if that's ever going to happen unless she finally gets knee surgery so she can do the walking.

Barbed1951 at aol dot com

winnie said...

Similar to a lot of people here, my dream is to be able to travel to different places in the world to see all I can out there!