Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, September 16, 2011

Guest Blog: Allison Knight

FOSTERING KITTENS OR HOW TO RUIN AN AUTHOR'S LIFE


Here in the south, it's been hot, but y'all know that, and being the softhearted individual my wonderful husband is, he insists on making certain the animals who inhabit the outdoors have both food and water. Since we have a shed at the edge of our property, we keep the bowls of food and fresh water in the shed with the door wedged open.

On this particular Friday he returned from his feeding task to inform me he thought we might have a kitten or two in the shed. I panicked. (Did I say I was as softhearted as he is?) We have other creatures who frequent that shed. Would they hurt the kittens - if they were there? And where was the mother? In fact that led to another question, because the cats would live outside had all been fixed. Where did they come from?

We informed our son who lives close by of our suspicions. He arrived after work and after dark, got a flashlight and went to investigate. Not one kitten, he informed us, not two but four. With the other animals coming and going and the weather so hot, they couldn't be left in the shed. Mother was still nowhere to be found.

At seven the next morning our son knocked on the door and in a cat carrier he had four of the cutest kittens I've seen in a long time. Decision time. We already had three grown cats, all rescues which we dearly love. Four kittens about five weeks old and three adult cats made for seven felines and that was not possible. Oh, lord, what to do? Solution! Take them to the vet the next day and he could find homes for the adorable foursome, when they were old enough to be put up for adoption.

Ha! It seems the cat population in our area was exploding. He already had too many kittens and cats. The local shelter would probably end their lives, so we couldn't do that. We could of course put them back in the shed. But we couldn't do that. No mother, lots of other critters, so now what?

We decided to foster them. Yep, we would keep them until we could find homes for them ourselves. But with the adults cats that posed another problem. The solution to that was a big dog cage, thanks to our son and WalMart, that sat in the living room and contained four kittens, toys, food, water and a cat sand box. And there it stayed for FOUR weeks. That meant no time to do much of anything but take care of kittens. Absolutely no time to write.

It also meant crawling on the floor to clean out the cage and trying to contain the four kittens while you did the clearing, adding food, water, etc. So what's the big deal you ask? Well, I'm a senior citizen. I've had a knee replaced, a hip replaced and my husband was still recovering from his first knee surgery. Kneeling down and crawling around may be easy for a youngster, but not for me! In a couple of years, maybe I'll laugh about it, but I'm still a bit sore. Did I mention I didn't get to write a word while I was babysitting these little guys?

The kittens? Oh, we found them good homes. They're doing fine. But I can honestly say I don't ever want to foster a litter of kittens again!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Award winning author, Allison Knight began her writing career like many other authors. She read a book she didn’t like and knew she could do a better job. Since that time, Allison has written and published romances for both paperback and digital publishers. Her third medieval romance from her 'song' series will be available in November of 2011 and a digital short story is scheduled for release in December 2011.

Because she loves to share her knowledge and her love of romance novels she often blogs with other authors. She also loves to talk about the growing digital market.

You can find her at:
http://www.allisonknight.com/
http://www.allisonknight.blogspot.com/
www.facebook.com/AuthorAllisonKnight
She blogs once a month for The Writers' Vineyard, http://thewritersvineyard.com/

4 comments:

Debby said...

I love kittens. They are so cute but they can be rascals. Great post!
debby236 at gmail dot com

Linda Swift said...

Hello Allison (Maratha?) I enjoyed this blog very much even though I'm a dog rather than cat person. There is nothing cuter than a kitten or a puppy. I believe we are fellow Champagne authors and we also seemed to share the same pages in a recent Coctails Magazine due to some sort of computer glitch. Your books look to be my type of reading and I plan to acquaint myself with them very soon. Best wishes, Linda

Linda Swift said...

Sorry I spelled Martha incorrectly and Cocktails Mag. also. I've traveled all day and I'm exhausted and trying to catch up on email.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Enjoyed your blog today, Tanya. I agree with everything you said, but will add that you have to be careful with some of those judge's comments as they can be hurtful and aren't always right. It took me a while to be able to shuck them off and continue on.

Your stories sound quite interesting. Nice to get to know you better today.