Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

GUEST BLOG: CAROLYN BROWN

Hello everyone! I’m delighted to be here today to talk about Red’s Hot Cowboy. You can tell by the cover that it’s a cowboy romance. Look at those boots! You can almost hear his Texas drawl and see him strutting right there on the cover, can’t you?

You asked me if country music inspires all my writing and if there are any songs that hold a special place in Red’s Hot Cowboy?

Yes, ma’am and yes ma’am!

Country music is my muse. If I can’t get my mojo going then George Strait, Blake Shelton, Alan Jackson, Highway 101, Miranda Lambert and Sara Evans (and that only names a few) help slap me right back on the writing track.

And since cowboys, boots, a slow drawl, pickup trucks and country music all go together, it stands to reason that there’s going to be some country music in my cowboy books.

Music can define a mood without a single word spoken between two people. The first time Pearl crawled up in Wil’s truck after they’d argued for all night and then most of the day and turned the key he had a Blake Shelton CD in the player:

She hopped inside and started up the truck only to have her ear drums rattled by a CD turned up to the highest volume with Blake Shelton singing “Kiss my Country Ass.” She quickly twisted the knob to decrease the noise and looked across at Wil who shrugged and smiled.

Music can get a couple over an awkward speed bump in their journey toward that HEA…

“You like Blake Shelton?” he asked.
She nodded.
He touched a button and “Hillbilly Bone” rocked the inside of the truck cab. He quickly adjusted the volume to a lower level.
“So which are you? Blake with his hillbilly bone or the New York City friend?” Pearl asked.
“Oh, I’m Blake for sure. I’m not a city man. Been to the big places with the rodeo rounds. Las Vegas is nice. New York City has its own pulse beat, kind of like that thing about listening to a different drummer, and Los Angeles is the same, different drummer, different beat. But Texas is where my hillbilly bone brought me back to every time I wandered. And I like little towns. They have a heartbeat all of their own,” he said. “How about you?”
“I’m a mixture. Momma’s from Savannah, Georgia, and I could recite a litany about southern girls for a couple of hours. Maybe even a couple of days. Daddy is pure Texan. He’s an executive at Texas Instruments, but he’s a rancher on the side. I went to college, got a master’s eventually, and worked in a bank over in Durant. Taught a few adjunct classes at the school and liked it, but I still like a rodeo, country music, and beer.”
“So what are you going to grow up to be, Red?”
“What makes you think I’m not already grown up?” she said with an edge to her tone. Dammit! He hadn’t even kissed her and he kept both hands on the steering wheel.


And music can make a person stop and think about things:

The next song was called “Delilah” and she’d never heard it. Blake said that Delilah couldn’t blame anyone but herself because there was someone right beside her that would never let her down. When she looked at Wil the soft expression in his brown eyes verified that Blake was singing about them. Wil reached across the space and laced his fingers through hers and squeezed.
“You should’ve been Delilah.”
“That mean you’re wearin’ forty-dollar jeans?” She finally smiled.
“Yes, ma’am, packed down with hillbilly bones.”


And then there’s the time Wil was singing in the shower and Pearl’s mother called. Oh, dear, now that would have caused a major uproar if the Belle of Savannah, Georgia knew Pearl had a man in a motel room at that time of morning:

The shower started. Wil began singing an old Willie Nelson song. Pearl fished the remote from under the edge of the bed and quickly turned on the television.
“Who is that I hear?” her mother asked.
“Television. I turned it on to see what the weather is going to be today. Looks like rain all morning. I guess I’d best get up and help Lucy check out the guests. Tell Daddy Happy New Year’s for me. I’ve got to run now,” Pearl said.


Music is my muse. I’m not so sure I could write a cowboy romance without it. What would those hunky cowboys and sassy cowgirls dance to? Nothing else quite says, “Let’s two step,” like George Jones singing, “I Always Get Lucky With You.”

And yes, ma’am, that song has a very special place in Red’s Hot Cowboy.

So do you listen to country music? Does it make you want to put on a pair of red cowboy boots and find a cowboy like Wil to look deep into your eyes and two step around the floor with?




RED’S HOT COWBOY BY CAROLYN BROWN – IN STORES AUGUST 2011
He wasn’t looking for trouble…
But when the cops are knocking on your door, trouble’s definitely found you. And this is where Wil Marshal finds himself after checking into the Longhorn Inn. It could be all a big mistake, but Wil’s not getting much sleep. Then the motel owner—who is drop dead gorgeous and feisty to boot—saves him from an even worse night behind bars. Now he owes her one, bit time…

But trouble comes in all shapes and sizes…
Pearl never wanted that run-down motel, but her aunt didn’t leave her much choice. And then this steaming hot cowboy shows up looking for a place to rest. Next thing she knows, she wants to offer him more than just room service. But if he calls her Red one more time, he won’t be the only one accused of murder…

Sparks are definitely flying and before long, the Do Not Disturb sign might be swinging from the door…

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Carolyn Brown is an award-winning author who has published 36 bestselling romances for the library market. She now writes bestselling single title cowboy and country music mass market romances. Born in Texas and raised in southern Oklahoma, Carolyn and her husband now make their home in the town of Davis, Oklahoma. Carolyn’s next book, Darn Good Cowboy Christmas will be in stores in October 2011, followed by One Hot Cowboy Wedding in April 2012. For more information, please visit http://www.carolynlbrown.com/.

Leave a comment for the chance to win one of two copies of Red’s Hot Cowboy. Open to US and Canada readers only please.

13 comments:

Debby said...

Just love them cowboys! The cover is beautiful and the book looks like a fantastic read. Congrats.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Deborah R said...

Great blog! I love country music, nuthin better! Congrats on the new release can't wait to read it! Loved all your books!

debr97 at yahoo dot com

petite said...

this book is so enticing. the cover is delightful and impressive. Cowboys are my favorite heroes and are real men. Best wishes. elliotbencan(at)hotmail(dot)com

Dawn said...

The title draws you in!
loves books about cowboys..nothing better!

staniszeski3824@comcast.net

Carolyn Brown said...

Hello everyone!
Debby: There IS something about a cowboy's drawl when he says, "yes, ma'am," that would make a woman's panty hose start creeping down to her ankles!
Deborah: Bless your heart for liking my cowboy books. And for sharing my love of country music.
Petite: Thanks for dropping by and yes, ma'am, cowboys are for sure real men.
Dawn: Glad you liked the title. Hope you like Wil and Pearl when you get to know them.

Na said...

Cowboys have a lot going for them and one of my favourite things about their is their drawl. Very appealing :)

Carolyn Brown said...

Na: You nailed it girl. I always think of Sam Elliott when I think of a good deep southern cowboy drawl.

Tracie said...

I love, love, love your books. They are always so much fun to read and never lack in hotness!
Good luck and happy writing!

Carolyn Brown said...

Tracie, bless your heart! Readers like you are what keep me writing.

Maureen said...

It looks like a fun story!
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

Carolyn Brown said...

Maureen, thank you for stopping by today. It was surely a fun story to write! Pearl and Wil were both strong willed characters and kept me on my toes!

Marlena Cassidy said...

Oooh, you just had to go and nudge of cowboys back into the open! Love it and love this post. And the examples of your writing are just amazing! The dialogue is wonderful.

Cynthia D'Alba said...

Love your books, Carolyn. I've read the majority of them. I am looking forward to Red's Hot Cowboy.

Congrats on hitting the best seller lists