Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Summer flings

Ah summer – don’t you love it? The days are longer, and the nights are more exciting! More people are out on the town, and looking for that special someone. It’s said that springtime’s the season of love, but summer seems more like it to me. When we leave our real lives behind, go on vacation, and sometimes indulge in a summer fling.

If you’re a professional on assignment, a summer fling can be a dangerous thing. In my contemporary romance, Rock Bottom, rock reporter Billie Prescott feels the heat in Malibu, but tries to keep her cool. Assigned to cover the reality dating show of rocker Jet Trently – whom she idolized as a teen – she wants to keep her distance. A fling with Jet could ruin her reputation as a serious reporter. Could smudge her journalistic integrity. Could be…whew, she really tries not to think about it. Besides, Jet has his hands full with his reality show contestants, women Billie dubs The Bimbo Brigade. Funny he seems more interested in her…

Here’s an excerpt:

With a gasp, she clutched the seat as the limo roared away. “What do you think you’re doing? Let me out.”
He knelt in front of her and slid his hands up her thighs. “You called me ‘baby’.”
She hoped he’d missed that. He definitely seemed too clear-eyed now.
Through clenched teeth, her voice shook. “It’s an expression. I am not one of the Bimbo Brigade.”
Clasping her neck, he drew her close. “Thank God.” His lips brushed hers.
Anger melted into confusion, surged with passion. “Stop,” she whispered.
“I can’t.” He leaned between her legs, and slid her against him. Tender yet fierce, his lips sought hers, his tongue probed.
White static filled her brain. How could he feel so good when he was all wrong?
“No.” She broke away.
He sank onto his feet, the deepest yearning in his eyes. “Billie.” His urgent whisper sounded like a fervent prayer.
His plea awakened something fierce and tender within her. “Dammit.” Her urgent whisper matched his.
His face lit with hope.
“Jet.” An overwhelming urge hijacked her reasoning. She fought to regain it but lost ground.
He drew a ragged breath and touched her cheek.
“Don’t.” She couldn’t finish her thought. Don’t toy with me. Don’t break my heart.
“Shh.” His finger traced her lips. He eased in slowly.
Although she had every opportunity to stop him, instead she clutched his shirt. “You won’t remember this tomorrow, anyway.” She pressed her lips to his, wrapped her legs behind his.
His embrace engulfed her as he pulled her to the floor. “Oh yes, I will.” With soft, purposeful kisses, he kept his eyes open, watching as if to imprint her in his memory.
Yes, he’d remember.
And so would she. Dammit.



8 comments:

katsrus said...

Love the excerpt. Sounds like a great book. Really nice cover too.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Arlene said...

Oh yes. I just have to make the time to read this one. Lovely excerpt and interview.

booklover0226 said...

Hi, Cate.

Loved the excerpt. I'm adding this to my must have list.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Na said...

I think the Sun finally woke up and came to play at least for the last few days anyway. Prior to that it was pretty mild and cool. The upside is at least it wasn't too hot and I wasn't sweating the day away. Always thinking positive. I do enjoy stories featuring love blooming in the summer, I think anytime is a good time for love to happen, but with sunshine it gives it that much more warmth. It might also be a good time for action so the hero and heroine can work off the heat.

Toni said...

Oh damn, that was the second time I have come across this and now I want it even more. grrrrr.

tsteinerid(gmail)

Stacie said...

Great excerpt. I think they aren't going to be able to keep their relationship professional much longer.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Robin said...

This looks like a great story!


Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Cate Masters said...

Thanks much, Katsrus! The guy on the cover looks just like I imagined the hero to look, so I was really happy with it!

I know, Arlene - my TBR list keeps multiplying! A Kindle's a dangerous thing, lol

Thanks so much Booklover! I hope you check it out.

Glad the sun came out, Na. We've had too much sun here lately, our grass has become crunchy underfoot. :( I like the way you think, though. :)

Go for it, Toni! lol

I'm not giving anything away, Stacie! :)

Thanks Robin!

I appreciate you all stopping by! Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, this weekend was crazier than usual (which is saying a lot, lol)