Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, July 31, 2011


I have always enjoyed solving puzzles and riddles -- the rush from the challenge and then the satisfaction of figuring out the answer. I remember in High School English, we were tasked with writing a riddle poem. I tapped into my creative side (even then I was bitten by the writing bug) and fiddled with words and cadences until I came up with several pretty cool poems. See if you can guess the answers.

I can be found in wonder and find,
In food, but not in wine.
I am the capital of Denmark.
What letter am I?

Did you figure it out? The answer is D.

How about one from J.R.R Tolkien’s, The Hobbit , where Bilbo Baggins plays the riddle game with Gollum in the orc passages of the Misty Mountains.

What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than the trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?

Answer: A mountain

Here’s another another of my poems.

Bred in rock. Birthed in fire.
I am hard. I am desired.
On fingers, on toes
Around a neck, through a nose.
I give luster to any attire.
What am I?

The answer to this riddle poem can be found in the blurb for my novella BLUE ICE coming out on August 3rd at The Wild Rose Press. Have a gander and see if you can spot the answer.


Reformed jewel thief Addison Hayes wants to make a fresh start. A new television series featuring rehabilitated thieves staging break-ins seems perfect. The only snag? Her handsome co-host Garrett Powell—his Texas drawl makes her body sing. But seven years behind bars taught her that romance and business don’t mix.

Garrett Powell only signed on for the TV show to satisfy a debt and get his life back on track. Fellow inmate Jimmy Patterson once saved his life and in repayment, Garrett agreed to secretly look out for Jimmy’s protégé, Addison. But Addison’s spunk and intelligence soon have Garrett wishing there could be more between them.

When a rare blue diamond necklace they stole for the show goes missing, Addison and Garrett have to join forces to clear their names. With gun-toting thugs and the law after them, can they find the jewel—and each other—before it’s too late?

Sound intriguing? I'll post an excerpt and more riddles later. You can check out my other books at


Dru said...

Sounds interesting..will check this book out.

Donna Dalton said...

Thanks, Dru. Sorry about all the white space on my post. I guess blogs don't like cut and paste from Word. Go figure.

Leah St. James said...

I have to admit I'm lousy at puzzles, and most of them leave me with a headache :-) -- so I admire anyone who can not only solve them, but create them to begin with!

The book sounds wonderful...great premise! Wishing you much success, as always.


Donna Dalton said...

Thanks, Leah. Right back at ya!

Peggy said...

Can"t wait to read it.

Stacie said...

I love riddles. I'm terrible at writing them but I love to solve them. Fun post.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Na said...

Despite not doing so well at riddles, I really like them. It's only when I discover the answer that it is "obvious". Go figure. They are great for working out the brain. Youhave piqued my curiousity :)

shiderly77 said...

I love riddles even though I don't get the answers right too often...