Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Redemption for the Devil



My latest release is a historical set in 1920. It's a story that takes the reader from Ireland to New York City, to Chicago and to the Arctic Circle. There are seances, cruise liners and even some gangsters in this tale. It was a fun one to write as the hero is quite the devil and doesn't seem to censor anything he says. This story is very much about him and when I wrote it, I almost felt like I was taking dictation from him.






I started the story in Ireland and it moves to an ocean liner crossing the Atlantic Ocean. The heroine works in the ship's lounge as a singer. When I got them to America, I had a moment of panic as I remembered it was Prohibition and liquor sales were illegal. Therefore, I sent the heroine to Chicago to work in a speakeasy. I almost painted myself into a corner there but was able to salvage the story line and think it actually improved by taking the heroine down that road.




The heroine's favorite drink is straight Paddy's Whiskey. What's yours? I like a gin and tonic myself or a glass of pinot grigio.


Blurb:

December, 1920: Mary Margaret Kincade, known as Peg, a devout Catholic, is the only child of an Irish adventurer presumed dead in an Arctic expedition gone awry. When her odious cousin comes to take over the family business and presumes to force Peg into marriage, she decides to make a new life in America by working her way across the ocean on a cruise liner.Liam Cormac, a Protestant member of the Irish Republican Army, fighting for freedom from English rule, signs on to the same ship with the intention of blowing it up in the middle of the ocean. Liam and Peg encounter each other in the first class passenger lounge and the attraction is mutual. When Peg is taken hostage by Liam’s partner, Liam has to make a decision about where his loyalties lie- with his country and his mission or with an Irish Catholic lass.






15 comments:

The Happy Booker said...

Favorite drink, Captain Morgan and Coke. I never go wrong with my favorite pirate :-)
I love historicals. "Redemption" sounds like and exciting read. I can't even imagine how you incorporated seances with gangsters and a Chicago speakeasy! That definitely grabs my interest!

Jillian said...

We have Bushwackers here in Fla made with Captain Morgan's and they are da bomb!!

I hope you read and enjoy "Redemption" to see how I tied it all together. The seance was a fun way for the hero to get a diabolical idea. LOL!

katsrus said...

Sounds like a great book. I really like your cover.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Judy said...

Redemption sounds like a really good read. I am looking forward to reading it.

judyjohn2004{at}yahoo{dot}com

Sarita said...

I never say no to a glass of Bailey's. :)

Stacie said...

I rarely drink but if I do it's usually some frozen, fruity concoction. I usually have something non-alcoholic.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Laura Ann Dunks said...

I shamefully love a gimlet.

Your protagonist and the lack of holding back sounds appealing.

Laura x

shiderly77 said...

Am I to be hung if I answer a Coors Light? lol I don't really go for liquor but I love a good beer.

shiderly77@yahoo.com

Jillian said...

Sue B- thanks! I adore the cover. I was very lucky!

Judy- I hope you like it if you get a chance to read it.

Ah, Sarita- I love Bailey's as well. Nice choice

Stacie- frozen drinks are great. Especially here in Fla where I live.

Laura- Nice choice as well. Yeah, my protagonist is quite the bad boy! If I do say so myself.

Shiderly- a beer is great most anytime. Sometimes I prefer that myself!

Robin said...

Looks like a great story! I love Kahlua, cream and Coke.

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Jillian said...

Thanks Robin, Kahlua and creme is great!

JohnF said...

Nice cover! Good luck!

Na said...

I don't read many stories that take place on a cruise so I'm intrigued. It's exciting to go from Ireland to New York to Chicago and the Artic Circle. Even better it's during the roaring 1920s.

Jillian said...

Na. I have this thing about moving my characters across the globe. Lol. Hope you enjoy the journey.

Jillian said...

John. Thanks. I was def blessed in getting what imwanted on this cover.