Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Outside Your Comfort Zone

First I want to say Happy Anniversary to LASR! Long may you review!

I have friends who are much younger than me. Sometimes they'll start complaining because they are afraid of being 40 or 50. I just smile and say why? I found both birthdays to be liberating.
My first book was published the year I turned 50. That was the year I learned miracles do happen. The year before my husband and I packed everything up and moved cross country to Arizona.
Both families thought we were crazy and would be back in a year. That was eight years ago. When we drove into New Mexico on our way to Arizona I looked at my husband and said, "We're home". It was a feeling that continued as we drove into Arizona and to our new home.
Six months later I sold my first book. It was something I didn't think would ever write, a paranormal romance. I had talked with the publisher about one of my romantic suspense books and she suggested I look at the bible for a series she was trying to get started. One story line jumped out at me and I quickly wrote up a proposal and submitted it to her. After I had submitted my romantic suspense to her. I did receive contracts for both books, but the paranormal one was accepted first.

Since I turned 50 I've had several books published, written several more and done things I never thought I would do. Including being a guest on a television show and sitting on a panel at a book festival with a best selling author. I've also written a few more paranormal stories. I really do enjoy writing them. To find out more about that first paranormal,The Man In The Mirror as well as my other books check out my website wwwelainecharton.com

So the next time you start to think that forty, fifty and above is getting old. Think again. If this is getting old, I'll take it. I've done more and seen more since I've turned fifty then in the prior forty nine years of my life. Things that will eventually make it into one of my stories. After all everything does. As my husband, also a writer, is fond of saying, "I am an Author...I must Auth!"
Oh and the year I turned 50? My Red Sox finally won a world series! Miracles do happen.

5 comments:

booklover0226 said...

"I am an Author...I must Auth!"

Love it!

Though I love my comfort zone, I do force myself out of it now and then. Each time I do, I'm grateful for that action.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Na said...

I think I read this post before but under a different heading "Fifty is Nifty"?

I always strive to get out of my comfort zone but I do so in babysteps. I try to believe in myself and surround myself with people who believe in me. I still think age in nothing but a number, which is a good thing because there is plenty I still want to do in life :)

Toni said...

What a great way to look at life!! I'm now in my 40's and trying to find myself. Thanks for sharing.

tsteinerid(gmail)

Stacie said...

I hope I can stay brave and face my future with as much success as you have.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Robin said...

We really don't know what we can accomplish unless we make ourselves try!


Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com