Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Our Camping Vacation

I haven't camped in a long, long time. The last time I went camping was a decade ago and I was an avid camper before that.

Then I had kids.

The DH and I are both campers. I was a Girl Guide (Canadian version of Girl Scouts) and my DH a Scout. Actually, I am still a part of Girl Guides, just a leader.

For nine years I waited. Patiently and then this summer came. Yes. The DH and I decided to go. Our oldest will be eight years old in September and our youngest is two. We were pretty apprehensive about camping with a two year, but thought hey why not. We booked a site at Point Farms Provincial Park just north of Goderich Ontario.

It went surprisingly well, despite my youngest being an absolute alligator in our six person tent. How a little guy like that managed to take up most of the tent still surprises me.

The kids enjoyed their first time camping and they were absolutely exhausted and wiped when it was over. It was the first time all three of them were quiet in a long time. :)

We went swimming, cooked over a fire, hiked and genuinely lounged around. It was great to be disconnected for a while.

And I always enjoy spider weiners and s'mores. Always. :)

Now that summer is almost over how have you been spending your summer vacation?

Or follow Amy on Twitter


MomJane said...

I would much rather have been camping. You were very brave to take a two year old.

I moved from the west coast to the east coast.

books4me said...

Glad camping with two young kids went well for are definitely brave to camp with a 2 year old but sounds like you tired the kids out pretty well!

Camping is soooo not my thing but I love the outdoors. I would rather rent a log cabin in the mountains and enjoy nature that way!

boosk4me67 at

Toni said...

Ok I have to ask....What is a spider weiner?


Mara said...

Camping? So not my thing! Maybe I'd give it a go if it were on the beach in some exotic locale (with real toilets and showers - well, those good be the outdoor kind as long as there's hot water).
Glad you had fun with your family!
marajbrandon AT earthlink DOT net

Anna said...

Glad it went well for you! I leave the camping with my kids to the Scouts. They're so much better at it than me--a spider magnet.

Stacie said...

I haven't been camping since I was a Girl Scout. I don't know if I would still enjoy it or not.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Robin said...

I've been working, but at least warm weather has finally come!

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Na said...

I'm not much of a camper but I do love to spend my summers outdoors. I really like exploring parks and hiking trails and thankfully there are an abundance of parks and lakes here. My family and I spend a lot of time visiting the different local parks. I like the suspension bridge we went to which is both scary and fun.