Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Natural Born Writers, More random thoughts from the brain of M. S. Spencer

Part II: The Urge to Share

Once you’ve acknowledged that writing for you is not a hobby but compulsory behavior and have actually produced something recognizable as a story—ack! You discover the equally urgent wish to share your creation. It’s part of the whole prioritization thingy that often makes us authors whine—sharing and writing are like two toddlers with one lollipop. Those of you familiar with the “Toddlers Code of Ethics” will understand completely. For those of you who don’t,  it starts out “If I want it, it’s mine; if you want it, it’s still mine” and goes downhill from there.

 Many writers recognize the dynamic tension between the need to focus on the work itself and the need to share it. Most artists are rather solitary in their habits. When I’m writing I won’t answer the phone or the door. I enjoy being alone during the creative process. However, once the work is finished, I want to share it.  I’m not satisfied unless I know someone else is reading it. This desire, I suggest, is not unique to me.

John Denver, in a live concert in 1975, talked about how he “literally ached” to have someone hear his songs.  That ache, coupled with the urge to put pen to paper (see Blog #1), is what makes a “real” writer. Writing sappy poetry on the toilet paper roll while astride the ivory throne doesn’t qualify. You have to take that roll and transcribe what you’ve written onto the computer (or real paper), then edit it, then ask someone else to read it.


You may think by “share” I mean an effect similar to converting to the Hare Krishna cult. As in: once you’ve yielded to the truth you long to share your good news with anyone within an arm’s length of your brochure.  I’m not.  What I’m talking about is not some zealous desire to have everyone suffer equally, but the yearning to move someone, to make them care, to make them clutch the book (or Kindle) to their bosom, tears or giggles wrenching their quivering body, pressing on to find out what happens next.

 Of course the desire to share our work depends a bit on ego—the assumption that what we have to say is important.  Which is, of course, all too true.

 Anyway, those are my thoughts on what makes us writers tick.  Will other writers chime in to support the theory or send it off to lick its wounds and eat chocolate?

And puleese don’t forget to check out my new release, Losers Keepers, a tale of lust and treachery on Chincoteague, available  from Secret Cravings. Here's the information:

Losers Keepers, by M. S. Spencer
eBook, 72,000 words, contemporary romantic suspense
M/F, 3 flames; ISBN: 978-1-936653-95-9

Blurb:
Dagne Lonegan, aka Dear Philomena, advice dispenser extraordinaire, hoped that spending a year on the Eastern Shore island of  Chincoteague to write her novel would clear her sinuses, if not her heart, of any feelings for Jack Andrews, erstwhile lover and long-time jerk.  It’s just her luck that her first week on the island she’s in the right place at the right time to be involved with a murder.  Only she doesn’t know it.  Unfortunately, the murderer doesn’t know she doesn’t know.  Strange and dangerous things begin happening to her, interfering with her new romance with Tom Ellis, the handsome manager of the National Wildlife Refuge.  Complications ensue when her Jack arrives to take charge of the murder investigation.
Will Dagne stick with the tall, cool glass of a Ranger or fall back into the arms of her first tempestuous passion?

 M. S. Spencer
~Lost without Love ~ Romance in Suspension
AVAILABLE NOW: Losers Keepers ~ BUY AT http://www.secretcravingspublishing.com/MSSpencer.html
COMING November from Secret Cravings: Triptych
Author of the bestsellers Lost in His Arms and Lost & Found from (www.redrosepublishing.com/books)

10 comments:

Laura Kaye said...

Again, I completely identify with your thoughts and feelings on the writing process! Great!

Laura Kaye
laurakayeauthor at gmail dot com

JM said...

You know, I didn't think I had much of an ego until I got into writing heavy last year. You're right, there is definitely a drive to have your words read, acknowledged and hopefully supported. And I am beginning to find that my ego is growing as I get more books out and more feedback. Maybe as long as I'm conscious of the growth, I can control the big-headed-ness that comes with it, huh?
Great post. Thank you.

authorjmmadden at gmail dot com

Stacie said...

I do think writers have a drive to have their stories read. I admire their enthusiasm.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

mssellsworth said...

Hey Laura--great minds...
Thanks Stacie--I think enthusiasm may come AFTER you get published!
JM--the ego thing is worth another blog or two--is ego a requirement of every endeavor? Can you do anything well if you don't think you're good at it? I don't know...Meredith

Robin said...

Great post!

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Laura Ann Dunks said...

I agree completely. I don't want to move people. I actually want to change their opinion about something. Especially teenagers.

Laura x

books4me said...

I would be more than happy to read your word if you need a volunteer. LOl. I have added your book to my TBR list...thanks for the blurb!

books4me67 at ymail.com

Na said...

A great post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the writing process. I do think there is a need to share. It's a way to get feedback and help improve your own writing. Now I'm curious to see what makes writers tick.

shiderly77 said...

Thanks for sharing. I loved your post.

shiderly77@yahoo.com

mssellsworth said...

Thanks everyone for your comments--I do hope you find by books as enjoyable. Meredith