Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

LIFE W/O HORSES? NO WAY!


I've had horses my whole life, and became the only vet tech in a family of nurses. (Wow - just typed "purses" & fixed!) I love the scent of horse, hay and leather. I love walking through the field and getting mugged by half-a-dozen soft noses looking for treats. YOU try saying "no" to those enormous liquid hopeful eyes...
We have 2 half-Arab mares. Sassy is six, a silver dapple Morab who's very people-y. She's small enough for me to get on without a ladder and unambitious enough to make pleasure riding an actual pleasure. My daughter's pony Moonlight is twenty, now pure white with little red freckles. What we call a flea-bitten grey. She's great w/Tami, very easy to ride and lead but is occasionally head-shy. She gave us quite a scare two years ago when she kamikaze'd herself into a tree branch - just missed the jugular. Moonlight and Tami are so cute together.
Horse people are horse people for life. It's a hole in your soul if there's no horse to fill it. My elven culture have war mares and "rangers" are the elite cavalry troops. In Riever's Heart, the heroine Verdeen not only dreamed of being a warrior, but of being an elite ranger with a shining white horse. Except the choosing is done by the HORSES...and none picked her when the time came. Anyone who's faced the bitterness of shattered dreams, who's faced the "what now?" can relate and sympathize with Verdeen's plight. The bitterness of seeing the coveted pin on her best friend's collar...while having none on her own.
How we face such disappointments tells the world who we truly are. Do we rise above it and move on? Are we truly happy for the ones who got what we wanted? Do we find that closed door actually opened a window we never would have considered had the door not closed?
Verdeen has to go off w/Daq Aryk to his frozen homeland of Isadorikja. (Think Spartans in Iceland, w/a Viking mentality.) Cold. Primitive. Startlingly beautiful, with a proud strong people. She goes to help Aryk unite the clans into a nation. The adventure of a lifetime...with the love of her life.
Maybe those horses knoew something she didn't?

19 comments:

katsrus said...

I am a cat person and my life would not be fullfilled without cats around. I love seeing a cute little face look at me first thing in the morning. Your horses are beautiful Renee.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Renee Wildes said...

Thanks, Sue!

We have a cat, too. A calico who regularly beats the Chow into submission! Poor dog just wants to play. Chandra's like "I'm too old for this nonsense." She likes to curl up next to me while I'm writing, tho!

MomJane said...

What a wonderful concept. I think the story sounds wonderful.

books4me said...

We are huge dog fans. I can't ever imagine being without a dog in my life. I'm allergic to cats and horses don't appear to like me too much.

books4me67 at ymail.com

Renee Wildes said...

Thanks Jane!

I'm the mean kind of author who doesn't give her characters what they want, but they always end up with what they need!

Riever's Heart comes out 9/27/11

Renee Wildes said...

Hi Books4me!

Dogs definitely liven the place up! Like hanging out with your best friend - but they don't try to borrow your clothes!

We have a black Chow named Abby who's a 45# guard dog. Loving, playful family dog. Holy terror with strangers who approach the house. Challenges the daily freight trains that go by. Scared silly of the cat!

(No one's perfect!)

Mara said...

I live in NYC and have only ridden a horse 2 times in my life. Both times I was pretty scared. They're soo big!
I'm a dog person myself and can relate to the love of an animal and how important they can be in our lives.

Mara
marajbrandon AT earthlink DOT net

Renee Wildes said...

With animals you can just BE. Don't have to prove anything. Don't have to dress up to impress them. Very comfortable to simply coexist!

rojo13864 said...

I'm a horse lover too. My beloved Pumpkin a roan mare of dubious breeding was my constant companion for 33 years. She was born trained I swear. Road safe, foxy yet willing to do or try anything! I still miss her so much.

My next horse will be from a rescue.

Laura Ann Dunks said...

I grew up riding, but never was able to own my own. I had been too until recently to ride for 3.5 years. However my health is improving and I have ridden twice this year. I'm starting to get my muscles back. The sooner the better, I've got four foot fences waiting for me!

Book sounds amazing by the way - what a unique idea!}

Laura xxx

Renee Wildes said...

Hi Rojo!

Getting a horse from a rescue is a fantastic idea. There's always a big heart waiting for some love!

Our cat's from a shelter and our dog was a rescue.

Renee Wildes said...

Hi Laura!

You miss it when you're away, I know! Feels good to be back in the saddle, but takes some time to get it all back together again. Good luck! I'm cheering for you - just don't forget the HELMET!

Stacie said...

I was put on my first horse at the age of 2. I was constantly on a horse until I was 12. I'm so glad your horse recovered from being impaled.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Renee Wildes said...

Hi Stacie!

It was the weirdest thing - Sunday nite call from our trainer going, "You won't believe what your horse did." My first question was, "Which one?"

Our best guess was the horses were running through the pines and she either just misjudged the distance or plain old never saw it. Iodine flushes on a WHITE horse is not pretty, but all she has is a teensie little scar to show for it.

Tami was freaked.

Robin said...

Your story sounds great!


Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Na said...

I find horses beautiful. I have never ridden on one except for the one time I rode a pony when I was a child but it was being led by someone. Since I don't own a horse or can ride one I love reading about characters who do. It's nice seeing how horses play a role in their life.

Renee Wildes said...

Thanks so much, Robin!

It was fun watching LOTR for Rohan & the Rohirrim - a horse culture like my elves'.

Na, reading is a great way to do a lot of things we can't do in real life. Living vicariously through the characters!

Monica Marlowe said...

Animals are such wonderful friends and companions. I've always had dogs, and finally, in my forties, I acquired my first horse! With so many questions as a new owner, I faced so many surprises about horses and humans. My next book is a memoir all about my first year with my first horse. No doubt about it ... my hero is handsome!

Renee Wildes said...

Hi Monica!

My first year w/my first horse memoir - that sounds like a fun read. They're the best.

I really felt bad when Verdeen didn't get one...