Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011


Research or an Excuse to procrastinate

Summer for me is my rejuvenation period. Not only do I write romance, but I also teach high school art and I’m the art director for a local magazine. Three jobs keep me rather busy so I truly live for my summers when things slow down a bit and I can do some serious writing.

At present I’m working on four stories. That’s not good. I’ve always had two going at one time. A primary story that takes the lead and another in the background that I work on when I hit a block for the primary. When the primary is finished, edited, and submitted, the secondary story takes the new lead and when I get blocked on that one, I start another, which then becomes the secondary story. Well, somehow I find myself with four stories, and they’re all calling to me. I’ve yet to settle on the “lead” story.

Part of the problem is my need to do research. All of my current ideas require extensive research. I’ve wasted hours on dead ends, but I’ve also found some very valuable information. Of course, each new bit of information leads me on new investigations that have nothing to do with any of the stories I’m working on. But my muse isn’t complaining as each of these trails is stimulating ideas for new stories. I love and hate when that happens. I really need to conserve time, get my research done, and plow into one of my manuscripts so I can have at least one finished by the time fall hits.

Two of the wips (works-in-progress) that I’m working on are sequels to The Keeper of Moon Haven. For those that haven’t read this delightful novel, here’s a blurb:

On the southern fringes of the Mendip Hills sits the Castle Hamingjur, an abandoned structure most fear haunted. Yet, on the rare occasions when the Hunter’s Blue Moon occurs, the Keeper occupies this mysterious castle where he guards the bridge to Alfheim Haven.

Noreen Willshire discovers more than fairy tales hidden between the pages of Beletania’s diary. She opens the ancient book and finds a pathway to a Faery Realm where all manner of mythical creatures reside. In her naïveté, she summons the Keeper before his scheduled time in the human realm. In that brief moment, the mysterious wizard touches her soul with more than magick. She promises to return the diary during Mefylleth, a time when the barriers between the two realms melt away, but danger stalks her path. Torn between her desire to make a new life for herself in America and her growing love for the Keeper, she must bridge the gap between magick and time to follow her heart.
The one sequel has led to research on the Templar Knights of the late 12th century and their lost treasure and, also, the horrid practice of baby farming in the 1860s. The second sequel has me researching train robberies in Colorado around the 1880s. So you can see, that’s a huge span of time and the opportunity for many side trips quite great. I also want to write a sequel to Julia’s Golden Eagle, which is one of my historical westerns. Will Stanton’s story has been brewing in my head for some time now, but the chance to visit Oklahoma and research Cheyenne Indian culture presented itself just recently so by the time this blog posts, I will have toured Oklahoma for five days. Meanwhile, research led me to information of some of Texas’ many ghost towns and I’ve got a rough outline for a story set in the gulf coast.

So, am I researching or procrastinating?

While I continue to debate the issue with myself, I invite you to help me celebrate the release of my tenth romance. Dragon King is the third in the Dragon Series. But the best part of Dragon King is that it and The Keeper of Moon Haven open the door for me to connect all of my books. Yes, even the historical westerns.

Here’s a blurb for Dragon King:

For decades, dragons held the essence of magic that fueled a wizard’s power, but in 1007 AD, evil claims the heart of one such wizard while another seeks to save the magic.

Tucker Bolen considers himself a renaissance man of the thirty-first century and balks at society’s rigid cultural practices. After purchasing and using a reincarnation reader, he not only connects with his past entities, he also suffers their bid to surface and claim his soul. A collector and explorer, one of the entities leads him on a quest for dragons and a journey that ultimately leads to the greatest magic - love.

Cari Barock fears many things; never finding love, an assassin bent on taking her life, and dragons. When a stranger from a distant planet arrives, she is forced to face all her fears. With her special Deliphit powers, she helps Tucker with his quest, never realizing that she is the key to unveiling his true powers. Will she sacrifice her heart so he can save her world?
First chapters for all my books can be found at

Ciara Gold didn’t realize she was a writer until about ten years ago even though the signs had been in place since she was in fourth grade. Luckily for readers, her muse took a skillet to her head and made her realize her true calling. She’s been delighting fans with her romantic journeys into the past and the future. Texas born and bred, she makes her home with a loving husband, two college age kids, a cat and a dog.


Ciara Gold said...

Thanks so much for hosting me today. I got a late start getting the word out that I'm here so...

A.R. Norris said...

LOL! I get so distracted too when I start to research. I start out looking for the verious muscles and tendons of the shoulder and end up at articles about genetic engineering breakthroughs!

Great post! And your book is on my TBR list.

Melisse Aires said...

Oh jeez, now I know I'm going to google 'baby farming'!

I do enjoy research but it does have a tendency to get away from me. One of my recent research was on survivalist groups, and then I started getting scary emails about the coming collapse. I opted out rather than confessing I own no guns OR gold.

I like how you use your real world research in speculative fiction.

Cate Masters said...

I love research too, and though most of it gets set aside during writing, it still enriches the story.
What a gorgeous cover for Dragon King! Wow.