Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011


Thank you for hosting me today.

My writing always has a dark edge. Not because I plan it that way. Believe me when I tell you I’m a happy person. I love jokes, Disney movies, and romance.

So why? Do writers reveal the secrets of their souls? I’ve been told that the first book is autobiographical. I’ve read thousands of books and know hundreds of published authors. I’ve decided that’s an oversimplification for those ‘literati” out there who profess to be deep thinkers.

My first published book, Another Love, is a historical romance. I’m proud to write romance. Maybe it does reveal a part of my soul, the part that believes in the power of love. I believe two people in love can overcome life’s obstacles together. I’m not ashamed to be a romantic. Over my career I’ve had several of ‘those’ conversations about the quality of romance books.

Because I read voraciously, I can argue that the romance genre in all its permutations has the absolutely best authors in the world. I can cite a thousand examples, but won’t here for lack of space.

I included romance, so why is my newest release dark? Ancient Blood, a paranormal romance is the second book in the Rhodes End series, located in a small New England town. Not where I grew up, but a compilation of many places and my imagination.

After giving it much thought, I realized the dark does come from my past. Although we had loving parents, life was not easy. My sister developed childhood diabetes. The factory where my father worked went on strike for two years. My mother had health problems and money was always scarce. I was afraid of the cemetery next door and the old, mean, neighbor lady on the other side. I don’t think of any of it as special.

The belief in love comes from my parents. My entire childhood I knew they loved each other. The dark reveals itself in my nightmares. So both go into my books and I hope you enjoy them.

Ancient Blood, paranormal romance, by Barbara Edwards available from The Wild Rose Press.

Lily Alban escapes a murderous stalker, but his vicious attack leaves her with the ability to see auras. She finds safety in the tiny hamlet of Rhodes End where a stranger stands out like a red light. Try as she might to deny her growing desire for Cole, she seeks his help but soon discovers the man she loves is not a man at all.

Werewolf Cole Benedict resists his attraction to Lily. A botanist researching the healing herbs to find a cure for Lycanthropy, he’s determined to protect Lily from her stalker as well as himself even in human form, but instinct takes over when he changes to his inner beast.

Together they must use their extraordinary gifts to catch Lily’s stalker before he attacks again, but revealing their secrets to one another could destroy their growing love or save them both.

Buy link
Visit me at: for excerpts.

I’m Barbara Edwards and a native New Englander. I’m a graduate of the University of Hartford with a Master’s degree in Public Administration. I write poetry for myself and novels when I need to tell a longer tale. I’m fascinated by the past so naturally turned to writing historical romance. The dark paranormal stories evolve from nightmares. The romance comes from my belief in people’s basic goodness and longing for love.

I lived in Florida for several years and am past president of the Central Florida Romance Writers and a member of Romance Writers of America.

When I returned to Connecticut, I founded the Charter Oak Romance Writers, a Chapter of Romance Writers of America, along with several close friends.

My husband is a retired Police Sergeant. We share an interest Civil War re-enacting and travel the Eastern states to participate in events. I love visiting museums, galleries and battle sites, gathering information for my stories.

I taught Romance Writing at Manchester Community college for three years. I’m fond of gardening and growing antique roses with limited success. And, most of my exercise is when my Belgian Shepherd, Dixie, demands a walk.


Barbara Edwards said...

Thanks for having me as a guest.

Maggie Toussaint said...

Hi Barbara,

I believe there are pieces of our lives, our hopes and dreams, and our pasts stitched in all of our books. Even though the story is told through a character's POV, the ultimate filter is through our eyes.

In chemistry class we learned that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so it makes sense that there's light and dark, good and bad. While we usually don't seek the dark or bad, those experiences help us to appreciate the flip side of life.

Hoping all your dark days are past!


Barbara Edwards said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Maggie.

Keena Kincaid said...

Great post. Does any author not include bits and pieces of her life in her books? I couldn't count the times I've used snippets of overheard conversation in my books. Thankfully, the original speakers never know. :-)

liana laverentz said...

Hi, Barbara,

A day late and a dollar short, as usual, but I enjoyed learning more about you. Best of luck with Ancient Blood!

StephB said...

I'm a little late. Forgive. I may write paranormals, but I'm real picky about reading them (werewolves, especially) but you've got me sold. Ancient Blood is on my list! Thanks for sharing.