Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Envisioning a Book

As a writer, I see the scenes play out in my head like a movie. I have a very good idea of what the characters look like, how they move, what their mannerisms are. The places and settings are all there in my head. The book becomes a real place with living, breathing characters as I write.

Readers create the very same thing when they read. Except their vision of the book - of the characters, the settings - may be quite different from what the author envisioned. And that's just as it should be. I find it wildly exciting to learn how my characters come to life in my readers' minds.

Recently, I've received some very exciting tweets from readers in which they've shared photographs that either made them think of my contemporary romance, Hearts in Darkness, or that depicted their vision of the character. And, while none were exactly my vision, seeing the story as readers saw it was pretty damn exciting. So I thought I'd share these awesome photographs with you:





This image was the first I received from a reader. I was giddy for days. It's so dang spot on! It's like I had this picture in front of me when I was writing, that's how well it captures Caden and Makenna. Total love!




 This image I received just yesterday. For the reader who sent it, it was not only the tattoos but the man's pensiveness that were pure Caden Grayson for her.






And this bottom one, well, it represents all the heat that builds between Caden and Makenna while they're trapped in that elevator. Phew!



So, are you a visual reader? Do you visualize stories as you read them? Do certain actors come to mind to stand in for the hero's traits? How do you feel when a favorite book is made into a movie (yay!) and the actors don't quite fit your vision (boo!)?

Thanks for reading!

Laura Kaye
Hot, Heartfelt Romance - Because everyone longs to belong...
Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Laura Kaye is a multi-published author of paranormal, contemporary and erotic romance with five books releasing in 2011.

10 comments:

heather said...

Love the pic's :)

The Happy Booker said...

Its rare that a movie will have the actor that resembles the character the way I envisioned them while reading the story. Its always a bit of a disappointment but at the same time interesting how the interpretation of a character can vary from person to person.

I can certainly see how having and image of that guy in your mind can get you thinking creatively! I bet that book was fun to write!

JM said...

Freaking LOVE that cover! It's so pretty.
I know some authors clip photos from magazines to get an idea of what their characters look like, but I just envision them in my head too.
Great post Laura.

Stacie said...

I am a visual reader. I find it interesting when the author reveals who the characters were modeled after. I rarely see their characters the same way the author did when they wrote them. I think that's fine. Everyone has different tastes. What they found attractive may be very different than what I do.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Robin said...

I don't visualize so much as get a feeling about it... It's hard when they make a movie of a book because it rarely fits what I felt when I read it!

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Laura Ann Dunks said...

I can vision some things but sadly have always lacked the ability to visualise things properly. This can be quite hard when you are writing!

Laura xxx

books4me said...

I am a visual reader and the models on the cover sometimes come to live in my mind as I read. sometimes I invision whatever my imagination dreams up.

books4me67 at ymail.com

Laura Kaye said...

Really interesting thoughts on this topic, guys, thanks!

Laura Kaye
laurakayeauthor at gmail dot com

shiderly77 said...

You know, this reminds me of Leanna Renee Hieber... SP? The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker. I was envisioning the character from Harry Potter as the hero, and when I went on the author's website, she had commented she had that exact actor in mind when writing her hero. It blew my mind... lol

shiderly77@yahoo.com

Na said...

More often than not the actors don't fit my visual image of them. I can deal with it it's somewhat close but if it's completely different it can be disappointing and hard to enjoy the movie. I sually find books better than the movies.