Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Cowboy Code....Tanya Hanson

Okay, who doesn’t like a hot cowboy? Those jeans tight-fitted in all the right places. That deliberate half-smile peeking from beneath the brim of a Stetson.  The sexy drawl that you want to lull you to sleep at night and wake up to in the morning…

Or is that all there is?

There’s something else about cowboys being real good men. Last night, I watched a top-rated movie on cable where the hero, make that anti-hero, does Very Bad Things, yet the writer/director/producer wants me to root for him to get away, to get the girl. To find a way to keep the ill-gotten loot. And I’m no prude, but do we have to hear the F-bomb twenty five times a minute? Aw, give me Johyn Wayne any day. Or Kevin Costner in Open Range. Sam Elliott in anything.

Why? I think it all boils down to the Cowboy Code. Here is Gene Autry’s:
  • A cowboy never takes unfair advantage - even of an enemy.
  • A cowboy never betrays a trust. He never goes back on his word.
  • A cowboy always tells the truth.
  • A cowboy is kind and gentle to small children, old folks, and animals.
  • A cowboy is free from racial and religious intolerances.
  • A cowboy is always helpful when someone is in trouble.
  • A cowboy is always a good worker.
  • A cowboy respects womanhood, his parents and his nation's laws.
  • A cowboy is clean about his person in thought, word, and deed.
  • A cowboy is patriotic.
The above code is the main reason the heroes in my books are always cowboys. In my current release Faithful Danger, Rhee Ryland might be a high priced investigator, but he started out on a Colorado ranch and longs to go home.

After he catches a runaway socialite with murky secrets.

Blurb: Frightened and alone, Caffey Matthews leaves behind her wealthy Manhattan life after her husband's financial crimes and suicide…knowing his enemies are in pursuit. Finding succor in remote California ranch land helps her to reclaim her faith and trust in God. But the heart-stopping stranger Rhee Ryland frightens her even as she’s powerless to halt her deepening feelings for him…

Believing she's involved in her late husband's misdeeds, cowboy-turned high-priced private investigator Rhee Ryland arrives in Rancho Lorena on her tail ready to haul her back. Never expecting to fall in love with her, even more surprising is his return to his childhood Lord.

Well, back to the Code. What attributes could you add to the Cowboy Code? Or, if you’re like me, do you think it’s pretty perfect the way it is?
Five-star Review, The Romance Studio


Tarah Scott said...

Love Gene Autry. Love Colorado! The book sounds very good.

heather said...

That sounds perfect to me and you found great pic of Eric Close, he makes a good cowboy :) Faithful Danger sounds really good!

Vonnie Davis said...

Oh, I love cowboys, too. I miss them in new movies and went to see "Cowboys and Aliens" just to catch a glimpse of the new James Bond in leather pants...and there were some verra nice glimpses...sigh. He carried the code. The aliends and all the explosions were almost a distraction. Give me cowboys. That's why I love writing them.

lastnerve said...

This sounds like an intriguing book! I agree that the Cowboy code is pretty spot on in what I want my cowboy to be like.


Chris R said...

The Cowboy Code says it all.

jrobe10689 @

Chelle Cordero said...

ooh, I knew there was a reason I always loved to play Cowboys and Cowgirls (he-he)!


Virginia said...

Love me some cowboys!


Tanya Hanson said...

Hi ladies! I'm at Pacific Time and just getting with the program. LOL

Tarah, I grew up on cowboy movies and shows. Wish there were more of them around.

Heather, I didn't know that was Eric Close. Saw him at a Tim McGraw concert once. Hot.

Vonnie, I love writing them too. And Cowboys and Aliens was an awesome book!

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Val, thanks for the kind words. Hubby is a fireman and he sure lives the code.

Chris, you're so right. I wish the rest of our culture thought so. I tire of bad boys and anti-heroes yet they're supposedly so cool. Grrrrt

Tanya Hanson said...

Welcome, cowgirl Chelle! I totally get it.

Virgina, me love 'em back. Thanks for posting!

Tanya Hanson said...

VOnnie, I meant awesome MOVIE. I think it is a graphic novel, but I didn't read it. Duh.

Laura Kaye said...

Love your Cowboy Code!

Laura Kaye
laurakayeauthor at gmail dot com

Larion aka Larriane Wills said...

oh, yum. I want to met the guy in the first picture. be still my heart.

Marianne Evans said...

Great post, T!! Congrats on the new release, and of course we ALL love a great cowboy!!! xox God bless!

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Larion, yes he's a hottie. I guess somebody said it's Eric Close; he used to be on Without a Trace.

Thanks for the post.

Marianne...always good to have your support. You're the best! oxoxox

Stacie said...

I grew up in OK so I love cowboys. Thanks for listing the cowboy code.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Jennie Marsland said...

Hi Tanya,
To me, the cowboy code of honor is what makes them so appealing. I've heard it said that you can judge a man by how he treats those weaker than he - and that includes animals. To me, that's the essence of a cowboy.

Na said...

I have a soft spot for cowboys and really like the cowboy codes. My favourite is "•A cowboy is kind and gentle to small children, old folks, and animals." Another cowboy code could be: A cowboy puts his hands to good use. He offers a firm handshake because he means business and he knows how to cook and clean.

LoRee Peery said...

You do cowboys proud. We just saw "Cowboys and Aliens" -- I think my favorite is Daniel Craig's blue eyes. The chaps aren't bad either.

shiderly77 said...

I love that cover! And the title!

JohnF said...

Great cover, and best of luck with the book!

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi all, I'm a bit late getting back here to thank y'all for posting today. I so appreciate it. Faithful Danger was a fun book to write. Enjoy!