Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Book Trailers: What Do Readers Think?

Book trailers are an important part of the tool kit authors use to get the word out about their books. Many of us have taken a crash course in stockphotos, stock music, and movie making to create a visual representation of what makes our books compelling and unique. What few of us are sure about, however, is what readers think of book trailers.

So I'd like to share my trailers, and get readers' thoughts on the following questions:
  1. Do you watch book trailers?
  2. If yes, do you tend to watch trailers of books you already know you like, or happen upon a trailer of an unknown book, and then go on to buy/read it?
  3. Does a trailer make any difference in your decision to buy?
  4. Could a bad trailer make you decide not to buy?
  5. What are your favorite things to see in trailers?
  6. What makes you groan when you see it?

 






Would love to hear your thoughts, and I hope you enjoyed my trailers (Sorry I couldn't get them to embed)! {*chews nails*}

Thanks for reading,

Laura Kaye
Hot, Heartfelt Romance - Because everyone longs to belong...

Laura Kaye is a multi-published author of paranormal, contemporary and erotic romance with five books releasing in 2011.

16 comments:

Robin said...

I haven't watched many - they won't affect my decision to buy. I base that on actual excerpts or a synopsis of the book...


Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Tamsyn said...

Same here. I prefer excerpts and blurbs to visuals.

tamsyn5(at)yahoo(dot)com

Tanya Hanson said...

I just had one made for the first three books of my series...I'll have to let you know if it makes a diff LOL. Frankly, I don't search them out, but if a friend posts one, I'll watch it. Mine did turn out pretty sweet, though, and the designer was reasonable and easy to work with.

www.tanyahanson.com

Na said...

Book trailers like romance trading cards are new to me. I like watching them for fun but they don't factor into my decision to read a book at all, whether it is a good or bad trailer. The blurb and cover does. I might watch a book trailer if I come across it but won't go out of my way to watch it. I like book trailers that tell a story rather than shows just a blurb and a few pictures.

kaisquared said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kaisquared said...

I watch trailers when directed to them by blogs or emails but I am still more of a blurb/review/cover person.


emmasmom AT wi DOT rr DOT com

MomJane said...

I usually look at trailers. Sometimes they interest me enough to want to read, but usually the write up is what interest me the most.

LIESA said...

I have watched a few, but they were of books I had already read. They are fun to watch, but in the end they really don't influence my buying. The cover, blurb and author are what gets me to buy!!

LIESA said...

Forgot my email address!!


liesa008@comcast.net

ForksPixie said...

I watch the trailer if I happen to come across it on twitter or FB. I don't actively search for them unless it's a book series I'm already reading.

If the trailer is good (informative,sexy and the premise calls to me) then I will probably search the author & the book to make an educated decision before purchasing the book. But with that said, I think the trailers will help in getting the book out there for someone that hasn't heard of it. That's a plus.

I love trailers that have quotes from the book, not just pretty pictures & music. My favorite are the House of Night book trailers.

Monica Marlowe said...

I enjoy watching book trailers. If the trailer piques my interest about the story or the author, then it has done its job. After that, the cover and blurb affect my buying decision the most. I tried my hand at making a book trailer for my debut novel. I hope you'll have a look: www.monicamarlowe.blogspot.com (The Books tab)

Stacie said...

I enjoy book trailers but they don't rank very high when it comes to deciding to buy a book. Covers and back cover copy catch my interest more. A great blurb can sell me on a story.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Great conversation!

Laura
laurakayeauthor at gmail dot com

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Great conversation!

Laura
laurakayeauthor at gmail dot com

shiderly77 said...

I have to admit, I really don't like watching book trailers. I am more into reading the blurb and maybe an excerpt to see if I am interested.

Debby said...

I have watched some but to tell the truth they do not affect my decision and most of the time I would rather skip them debby236 at gmail dot com