Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Being Down Sized Has A Definite Up Side

Losing my job a few years ago led to the realization of a life long dream for me.

Honorable Intentions was my first contemporary romance. Published by The Wild Rose Press. The book came about when I was abruptly downsized from a public relations position I'd held for over three decades. Unable to find another job, and a recent empty nester, I had a lot of free time on my hands. Time I filled doing what I love-writing romantic fiction. When one door closes another one opens is an adage I firmly believe in, much like the main characters of Honorable Intentions.

Cop turned personal security agent Samantha Wells and Alaska conservation officer turned environmentalist Chase Canfield are burned out from the demands of high stress careers. Each also struggles with contentious family issues and relationships. Resigned to lives of little reward and even less happiness when they meet, Chase and Samantha begin to rediscover and reap the rewards of everyday values and, most importantly, love. Their story takes place on a luxury cruise to Alaska. Think Father Knows Best meets Anna and The King.

Former cop Samantha Wells is the last person single father Chase Canfield wants to chaperone his impressionable teenaged daughter. Not if she's the same beautiful stranger who shamelessly came on to him when they first met. Samantha must prove she's a competent, trustworthy professional. That the sultry seductress he knows was only a pretense, her misguided alter ego acting on a stupid dare. To save her reputation, she has to make him believe the undeniable connection they shared meant nothing. The hard part will be to convince herself first.

For me, writing Honorable Intentions was a joy. A definite Up Side of my life that may never have happened if not for being Down Sized.

Please visit my website at

My publisher can be found at


Jennifer Lowery (Kamptner) said...

Hi Margo! This sounds like a great book-think I'll have to read it :)
Great post!

Margo Hoornstra said...


Hope you do like the book. Print or e-book. Your choice.

Thanks for stopping by. You're next, you know!

booklover0226 said...

Hi, Margo.

I'm adding this to my wish list; Honorable Intentions sounds great.

Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Margo Hoornstra said...

Dear Tracey,

I'm flattered. Hope you enjoy the cruise!

Thanks to you,


katsrus said...

Sounds like a great book. I am glad you were able to make something positive happen for you after being downsized from your job.
Sue B

Na said...

Life does have a funny way of working out. I'm glad you kept a positive attitude and that you turned to doing something you love doing. I also believe that when a door closes, another door opens, or a window, you just have to lift your head up and open your eyes to see it. I'm glad your characters have inherited that attitude. It should help them tackle their obstacles.

cadillac carol said...

'Honorable Intentions' is a great read. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys romance fiction.It is the perfect book to take to the beach on a summers day.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Sue B,

Thank you. As I said, when one door closes another one opens. You just have to watch for it.

Margo Hoornstra said...


Wise words. Your key phrase, 'lift your head up and open your eyes.'

It doesn't get much better than that.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Cadillac Carol,

Kind words. Thank you.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed my work!

Toni said...

Oh that sounds like fun - finding love on a cruise. Great outlook on life, you are right things do open up. Sounds like this new career is a keeper.


Margo Hoornstra said...


The cruise story line came from a wonderful trip we actually took.

Hope this career lasts longer for me than the last one! :) It sure is a whole lot more fun!

Stacie said...

I'm so glad you were able to turn a negative situation into an opportunity to do what you love. Great post!

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Robin said...

I really want to read Honorable Intentions!

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Margo Hoornstra said...


Thanks and you're right. What started out as bad, I soon saw my job loss for what it was - a special gift.

Margo Hoornstra said...


You have no idea how thrilled I am to hear you say that.

Thank you and enjoy!