Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Adrenaline rush

Adrenaline rush

by Chelle Cordero

As a (volunteer) Emergency Medical Technician, I know what it is to arrive at a scene in a “big truck” with lights flashing and sirens blaring. I admit there is a bit of inflated ego to run into a scene and have strangers clear the way for you to reach a patient in need. There is also a momentary panic inside to look at your patient's eyes as they look to you for help, sometimes to save their life, and the adrenaline kicks in to do all that you can do to make them more comfortable and get them to the hospital alive.

In over 25-years of doing this, I’ve known the euphoria of delivering babies, the desperations of knowing how precious every second is, the frustration of losing a patient, and the tears shed as a family member clings to you because you are their only hope.

EMS is a passion of mine. Whether an EMS provider career or volunteer, I have tremendous respect for everyone who takes their training and goes out into the world with the most important equipment, their hands and their brain, to use the equipment on an ambulance to make a difference. My husband and I both joined a volunteer ambulance squad when our two kids were little – and they grew into the EMS family. In addition to (still) volunteering for the same ambulance corps, our daughter is a career Paramedic and our son is a career EMT. (& forgive my crassness, but I am damn proud of them both).

Perhaps this is why I enjoy creating characters who are first responders. I’ve lived it, I’ve loved it, I respect it.

One of the characters I really enjoyed writing about is Julie Jennings, the heroine of my mystery thriller Final Sin. Julie is a NYS Paramedic, she is also a passionate woman who likes to live life to its fullest and cares for the people around her completely. Like most real life first responders, Julie isn’t in the field for “the money” (EMS is a truly underappreciated profession) – she is in it to help.

Blurb for Final Sin

Deputy Sheriff Commander Jake Carson has his hands full with the investigation of a brutal multiple homicide, a troubled son and a vindictive ex-wife when he meets young, free-spirited paramedic Julie Jennings. He is immediately drawn to her and finds himself unexpectedly falling in love. Julie finds herself just as drawn to him. When Julie becomes the subject of an obsession, it puts both of their lives in extreme danger...

I started a Listopia list on GoodReads for Everday Heros; The main character(s) is a first responder (EMT, Paramedic, Police Officer, Fire fighter, etc). Why don’t you take a moment to go there and check it out? Please add any books you’ve read that fit the description and please vote for the ones that are there (three of mine are listed: Final Sin, Hyphema, and Within the Law)

Thanks for coming by and Happy 4th Anniversary to The Long and The Short of It!

As a thank you from me, here’s a FREE ebook from Vanilla Heart Publishing authors:

Download a FREE e-book –
Love & Chocolate
.pdf format


Melissa McClone said...

This looks really good! I love books with First Responders!!

Chelle Cordero said...

They are so often unsung heroes, please add some of your favorites to the Listopia list. Thanks for coming by Melissa.


Mara said...

Thanks for your post. I have the utmost respect for firt responders. I live in NYC and watched all of the people who went to the WTC before they even knew what had happened because they got the call either from dispatch or another person. Even though I wasn't a first responder, I did what I could as a massage therapist working on the guys at my local firehouse.
Now a social worker, I'm not quite a first responder, but I plan to take extra training so I can help those folks who are, whether it is going to the scene or following up at a school.
It's great that you can incorporate the passion you have for your life's work with your writing. Very inspiring! Thanks.
marajbrandon AT earthlink DOT net

Anna said...

Thank you for the Love and Chocolate book. I have deep respect for EMTs and the like. They have to be pretty strong to handle the things they have to see.

Chelle Cordero said...

Hi Mara, My husband was on one of the ambulances that responded (2nd wave) on 9/11 - unfortunately there weren't enough (even injured) survivors. But while he was down there (they had the rigs lined up waiting) the people around were wonderful bringing sandwiches and encouragement. So I want to thank you for what you did for the local firefighters, I know how helpful that was. Thanks for coming by.

Chelle Cordero said...

Hi Anna, hope you enjoy the Love and Chocolate book - I think it is a pretty terrific group of authors that were included.

Funny thing is, even after so many years, I still do (honest) get sick at the sight of blood... but when I am busy working on a patient I don't think about it. LOL, just can't watch gory movies...

Thanks for coming by.

Mara said...

Yeah, my dad was down there by the 2nd day stationed at Trinity Church feeding people. What a day, huh? Can you believe its been almost 10 years?!
marajbrandon AT earthlink DOT net

Toni said...

There is something great about heros. They come in all shapes and sizes. I'll have to check out your books, thanks for sharing.


Chelle Cordero said...

Hi Mara, Yes it is hard to believe that 10 years have already passed. Like most people, my memories are as if it happened yesterday. Stay well.

Hi Toni, heroes are kind of terrific. There are so many heroic actions from some everyday people and our world is so much better for them.

Thank you all for coming by.

Stacie said...

What an exciting and rewarding job. I'm glad you are able to put your job experience into writing your stories.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Chelle Cordero said...

Thanks Stacie!

Robin said...

Looks like a great story!

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Na said...

I have only come across a few stories featuring first responders but I have enjoyed them all. It's really cool that you are a volunteer EMT. It's must be amazing to help people and quite an adrenaline rush as well. I'm glad your characters have a bit of you in it. It is definitely a career I'd love reading about.

Chelle Cordero said...

Thank you Robin.

You are right Na, there aren't a lot of books featuring (EMS specifically) first responders; there are more for firefighters but even that is not where it should be (my daughter also vollies as a firefighter!) I am really thankful for all the things I've seen and learned - it makes me who I am.

charmainegordon author said...

First responders-often times the moment between life and death. Thanks for your brilliant portrayals of Emergency Service.

Chelle Cordero said...

Thank you Charmaine!