Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

GUEST BLOG: PAMELA THIBODEAUX

Look a Level Deeper


Where do you get your ideas?

This question is either highly appreciated or deeply resented by authors. I mean, are great inventors asked the same question? Was Einstein, Ford, Bell or the Wright Brothers asked where their ideas came from? How about Bill Gates or the owner of FaceBook or any other musician, film maker, or other modern-day creator?

Where does anyone get an idea for anything?

Some say from life. Others credit their muse as the means by which they get their ideas. My answer is usually: Divine Inspiration. Lately I've been thinking about a comment I often use and how it may relate to this question.

As Christians we are called to look a level deeper - as writers we are taught to look a level deeper.

Judge not lest ye be judged, walk a mile in his shoes, don't mock what you don't understand....these are all variations of that statement.

What does this have to do with where I get my ideas?

Everything!

This statement doesn't apply only to people but every aspect of life.

Look at your circumstances - go a level deeper and ask questions: Why are they the way they are? Who made them this way? Where did I make a mistake (in thoughts, words or deeds)? What (if anything) can I do to change them? When will they change? How can I change/grow as a result of them?

Who, What, When, Where, How & Why ....These deep, searching questions of the heart and soul are the wellspring from which all creativity -from which all of life- flows.

This is what we writers do...we look at a person, event or circumstance and then ask questions - in doing this we get the inspiration to write down those answers. We get to know our characters and what motivates them. By continuing to ask throughout the creative process, we add twists and turns, depth and texture and we often write the answer we'd like to see which is usually very different than what is obvious or common.

The answers to these questions were imperative for Carson Alexander of In His Sight, if he was to save the heroine (Lorelei) and her daughter (Laurel) from the danger he sensed lurking on the horizon.

If you are a reader, then read with this new insight. If you're a writer, ask yourself if you are looking a level deeper into the lives & circumstances of your characters and even into your life for answers and inspiration. If you're the average person wondering how to change your own life know that you can.... with the power God gave you.... the power to create (through thoughts, words & deeds)!

Award-winning author, Pamela S. Thibodeaux is the Co-Founder and a lifetime member of Bayou Writers Group in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Multi-published in romantic fiction as well as creative non-fiction, her writing has been tagged as, “Inspirational with an Edge!” and reviewed as “steamier and grittier than the typical Christian novel without decreasing the message.” Pam's titles are available in Ebook & Print and ALL are available for Kindle and Nook!

Website address: http://www.pamelathibodeaux.com
Blog: http://pamswildroseblog.blogspot.com
Bayou Writers Group: http://bayouwritersgroup.com

9 comments:

Dora Hiers said...

What a thought-provoking post, Pamela. Thanks for sharing. Now, I've got to get back to my manuscript and "look a level deeper." Great job!

Tanya Stowe said...

Thanks for the renewed perspective, Pamela. I'm off to the dentist but when I get back, I'll be tackling my manuscript as well!

Marianne Evans said...

Great blog post, Pam - really makes me think --- writing is such an intense process! God bless!

Donna B said...

You are so right, Pam! You can't get the depth you need only looking at the surface of things, but if you look a level deeper that's where we get the understanding of why things happen.

Makes me think we all ought to look a level deeper before we respond to anything!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Thanks ladies for commenting! I pray to do this in all circumstances - hopefully it shows in my relationships and writing.

Thanks again.
PamT

Raquel Byrnes said...

Definitely a moving and thoughtful post, Pamela. I often pray about my characters for insight into how the Lord might speak through their trials. Wonderful article. :)

Jan Rider Newman said...

Good, thought-provoking post, Pam. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Thanks Raquel and Jan!
Good to hear from you both.

PamT

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Pam, Blogger sometimes fails with me but I'll try. Your six questions really got to me. I've got something going on now and I know in the long run it'll be good for me, but in the meantime, Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I read In His Sight and I loved it. oxoxox