Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, May 20, 2011

GUEST BLOG: PATY JAGER

The second book in my Native American paranormal historical trilogy is Spirit of the Lake. This book as with the first one, Spirit of the Mountain, is set among the Nez Perce band famous for their leader Chief Joseph and who summered in Wallowa County where I grew up. The trilogy is set among the same band of Nez Perce or Nimiipuu as they call themselves with sibling spirits as main characters in each book.

In Spirit of the Lake, the heroine is pregnant. Learning all I could about Nez Perce customs and social living aspects centered around pregnancy and child birth back then took hours of reading books on the Nez Perce and gleaning the tidbits I found stuck in here and there. And emailing my Nez Perce contact with questions I couldn’t find in the books.

Pregnant women still did most of the chores right up until the moment they started labor. Some would have miscarriages from long periods of riding horses in the last months of pregnancy. This usually occurred during campaigns of fighting when the women and children were kept moving to stay ahead of the enemies attacking them.

If a woman was pregnant they believed her man would have bad luck hunting. She was also not allowed to see any part of a kill—blood, skinning. They feared if a pregnant woman saw this her child would be born deformed. They also didn't touch, view, or ridicule any deformed animals or humans, fearing it would cause their child the same misfortune. They didn't tie knots or do things symbolic of obstructing the birth.

A wide strip of buckskin was tied around their bellies. This was believed to protect the child. After the birth, this strip was burned or buried, giving the child a healthy, strong body. They did everything to keep the baby safe. The Nez Perce wanted to build a large, strong tribe.

This is just a miniscule picture of what I've learned and incorporated into Spirit of the Lake.

Blurb for Spirit of the Lake:

Two generations after his brother became mortal, Wewukiye, the lake spirit, prevents a Nimiipuu maiden from drowning and becomes caught up in her sorrow and her heart. Her tribe ignores Dove's shameful accusations—a White man took her body, leaving her pregnant, and he plans to take their land.Wewukiye vows to care for her until she gives birth, to help her prove the White man is deceitful and restore her place in her tribe.

As they travel on their quest for justice, Dove reveals spiritual abilities yet unknown in her people, ensnaring Wewukiye’s respect and awe. But can love between a mortal and a spirit grow without consequences?

Excerpt

Wewukiye tugged her hand, drawing her closer. His warm breath puffed against her ear.

"You need only think of me and you will have strength."

His soft silky voice floated through her body like a hot drink.

Dove swallowed the lump in her throat and asked, "When will I see you again?" The thought of sleeping on the hard ground next to the fire in Crazy One's dwelling didn't sound near as inviting as using his lap to rest her head.

The days and nights grew colder; to be wrapped in his arms would warm her through and through.

"You will find me at the meadow every day when the sun is directly overhead." He brushed his lips against her ear.

She closed her eyes, relishing the silky feel of his lips and the heat of his touch.

"Think of me," whispered through her head.

Dove opened her eyes. She stood alone. Her palm still warm from their clasped hands, her ear ringing with his whisper.
*~*~*

You can find it in print and ebook at The Wild Rose Press or at Amazon and Kindle.

This post is part of my blog tour. Leave a comment on as many of my guest blogs at you can and the person who travels with me the most will receive an autographed copy of Spirit of the Lake, a sweatshirt, and cowboy chocolate. To find all the places I’m visiting go to my blog: www.patyjager.blogspot.com. The contest runs from May 18th – May 29th covering thirteen blogs. I'll notify the winner on May 30th. In the event of a tie I will draw a name.

To read more about the spirit trilogy or my other books visit my website: www.PatyJager.net

Judy and Marianne, thank you for having me here today.

Paty

Wife, mother, grandmother, and the one who cleans pens and delivers the hay; award winning author Paty Jager and her husband currently farm 350 acres when not dashing around visiting their children and grandchildren. She not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.

Paty is a member of RWA, EPIC, and COWG. Wild Rose Press has published nine of her books. Perfectly Good Nanny, won the 2008 EPPIE for Best Contemporary Romance. She edited for an e-publisher for four and a half years and teaches workshops at conferences, writers meetings, and online.

You can learn more about her at her blog; www.patyjager.blogspot.com her website; http://www.patyjager.net or on Facebook; https://www.facebook.com/#!/paty.jager.


Sources: Nez Perce Women in Transition, 1877-1990- Caroline James; NeeMePoo – Allen P. Slickpoo Sr. and Deward E. Walker Jr.

25 comments:

marybelle said...

I actually did not know before this that SPIRIT OF THE LAKE is part of a trilogy. I will be looking for SPIRIT OF THE MOUNTAIN to read first.

marypres@gmail.com

Paty Jager said...

Hey Marybelle, It's great you're following this tour like a trooper! Yes, Spirit of the Lake is the second book of the trilogy. I just finished writing the third book.

Rachel Brimble said...

Wow, that was such an interesting post, Paty! Great stuff.

Best
R x

D'Ann said...

My 2nd stop, Paty. Very interesting stuff! Makes me want to write a histy, but I HATE research. Admire those of you who do not.

Paty Jager said...

Thanks, Rachel!
Hi D'Ann. And research is what I love about writing historicals! LOL Thanks for joining the tour.

susan said...

Hi Paty, I am following still. I wanted to comment about myths and being pregnant. I nearly gave my mother a heart attack when I was carrying our first child as I went to a house fire. My mother was so sure when the baby was born she would have scars. This is something a pregnant lady never did. Happy to say our baby was fine but some of the things I could not do. Never crawl under a fence as the cord will be around the baby's neck when it is born. Two that stayed with me all these years. susan Leech garysue@dejazzd.com

Sarah Raplee said...

Isn't it fascinating the lengths we humans go to in trying to protect our unborn children? Childbirth was historically so risky for both mother and baby that I think this is understandable. Just the other day I heard of a couple who lost their young, healthy thirty-year-old daughter to unexpected complications of childbirth. So sad...

Jean P said...

Very fascinating all the myths and superstitions that surround pregnancy and childbirth. Your book sounds like such a wonderful story.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Virginia said...

Great post! I think I will start looking for the first book in the series. Do the book stand alone or is it better to start with the first book?

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

Becky said...

This was a very interesting and informative post.

Paty Jager said...

Hi Susan, The superstitions are interesting.

Sarah, I agree, even still we have so many things that can go wrong.

Thank you, Jean.

Virginia, the books stand alone, but I think you would enjoy them more by reading them in order.

Thanks for following Becky.

J K Maze said...

I can't wait to read this 2nd book in a most wonderful series.

Joan K. Maze

M Pax said...

I really enjoyed the first in the series, Paty. Looking forward to reading this one.

Paty Jager said...

Thank you Joan, and thanks for blog hopping with me.

Hi Mary! Thanks!

Sarah Grimm said...

Very interesting post, Paty! I love learning about Native American culture, especially the superstitions.

Paty Jager said...

Hi Sarah, Learning these things helps to plot scenes and its fun.

Connie said...

Paty, I am loving following these blog but have been unable to connect to some.

Connie said...

As of now I think that I have been on all of the blogs to date. Loving this.

Paty Jager said...

Connie, I'm glad you're enjoying the blog tour.

librarypat said...

Thank you for the interesting post on pregnancy for the Nez Perce woman. Interesting how superstitions and beliefs about carrying and delivering a child vary from culture to culture and are similar.
I was in the Peace Corps in the Philippines. Many thought using a treadle sewing caused a cleft palate. If you were scared by a spider or snake, the child could have a birth mark that looked like what scared you. There were others, but it has been so long, I can't remember them.

I am enjoying your Blog Tour.

librarypat AT comcast DOT net

Paty Jager said...

Pat, It's been fun hearing other superstitions people have heard of. Thanks!

SiNn said...

Ilove theseexcerpts and i have to say that cover is just beautiful I neve r knew that about The Nez Perce children tho u learn new things every day

Paty Jager said...

Sinn, Thanks. I like the cover, too. ;) It is good to learn something new every day.

Melinda said...

I love the cover and I cannot wait to get my hands on this book

Walk in harmony,
Melinda

J K Maze said...

I love this trilogy. Do you have plans for more of the same type?

Joan