Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, April 25, 2011

SPRING IS BUSTIN' OUT ALL OVER: RENEE WILDES

Spring – A Time of Hope and Renewal


Hearing the honking of returning geese for the first time is the first sign of spring for me. Today’s my birthday, and for the first time right on top of Easter. What’s up w/that?

Family time with baseball starting up, figure skating winding down and the landscape changing from white to green. Kids play Frisbee while they dream of water parks. Also a time of hair – with 2 horses and a chow shedding out. Every bird within miles has a fiesta getting fluff to line their nests. Glad someone can use it! Abby saw her first squirrel, and her first bunny. Birds are moving into the trees by our house.

Soon our next door neighbor will be readying her plot for the new garden. We’re still trying to decide if our baby pine tree survived the winter indoors.

With everything coming out of hibernation and returning from their wintering grounds, it’s like the whole northern landscape comes to life. Still the risk of one last snowstorm, but the air is full of hope and promise. I hate the winter cold, driving on ice, not being able to see my horses. It’s amazing when “spring ahead” kicks in and I can still see the sun when I get out of work at 7 PM. Definite mood elevator.

Springtime for me means horse time – always astounds me they remember me. I’ve always had horses, and they are an integral part of my life and my books. Funny watching two woolly mammoths turn back into horses. I have 2 half-Arab mares and love riding through the woods. It relaxes me, out in the sun, with bird song and a fresh, still-cool breeze rustling through the branches that might still have buds or new pale-green leaves, depending. Hooves squelching through mud, my Sassy snorting and tossing her head when a squirrel cusses us out for coming too close. She still insists on jumping obstacles she could easily step over.

The hope and promise of a new season translates into writing. I’ve finished my galleys for Dust of Dreams and turned Riever’s Heart into my editor. Judging and critiquing obligations are finished. Time to focus on the next new story. Calling it God of Fyre Mountain, it’s Dax’s story. (Pryseis’ nephew from Dust of Dreams.) Dust of Dreams is all about hope and peace and tolerance – being at peace with yourself and the world. Dax is still learning that. Meeting Maili helps.
Dax is half dream faerie and half forest troll. Being neither, and yet both, is hard for him. I think it’s important everyone can just take a deep breath and love the skin they’re in, be comfortable with who and what they are. I think it’s the most important lesson to teach our kids – that it’s okay to just be themselves. And once they accept themselves, makes it that much easier to accept others. The first step to peace.

Spring is for renewal and hope. Gives the world a fresh start. Ongoing themes in my Guardians of Light series. Peace and tolerance and cooperation. Hope for a future without prejudice and fear and war. A gal can dream, can’t she? As a fantasy romance writer, that’s what I do best – good triumphs over evil, the girl always gets the guy and they lived happily ever after.

Just a matter of time before that happens in real life.
Spring keeps me hopeful.

Renee Wildes is an award-winning local Wausau writer. She grew up reading fantasy authors Terry Brooks and Mercedes Lackey and is a huge Joseph Campbell fan, so the minute she discovered romance novels it became inevitable that she would combine it all and write fantasy romance. Renee is a history buff, from medieval times back to ancient Greece, esp. Sparta. As a Navy brat and a cop’s kid, she gravitated to protector/guardian heroes and heroines. She’s had horses her whole life, so became the only vet tech in a family of nurses. It all comes together in her Guardians of Light series for Samhain Publishing – fantasy, action, romance, heroics and lots of critters!

Visit Renee At http://www.reneewildes.net/

27 comments:

Ruth C. said...

For the last few days the birds outside our apartment window have serenaded us before sunrise - even a few days ago, it was so nice to hear them singing in the trees even though it was raining.

Maria said...

I love Spring and summer and the warmer weather and extra sunlight ...but I will admit that I hate the "Spring Forward" we have to do with daylight savings...lol..

Thanks for the post and enjoy riding your horses!

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

Jean P said...

Love spring, finally being able to open up the windows and enjoy the fresh air. Enjoy watching and listening to the birds as they fly around the yard.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Renee Wildes said...

Morning everyone!

It astounds me how EARLY the birds start up - I was up doing Easter baskets yesterday at 4 AM and the birds were singing and it was still DARK!

It was lovely to spend some time with Sassy. She's a real pale sugary dapple now and her mane hangs down below her neck. Looks like a romance heroine's palfrey! (I find inspiration in the darnedest things...)

Rebekah E. said...

When I first moved to colorado the geese drove me nuts. But now I looke forward to hearing them very year.

bc428(at)juno(dot)com

Renee Wildes said...

Geese are definitely the heralds of spring! Sad to see them go - glad to see them return. As a romance writer, the whole "mates for life" thing really gets to me!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Your Guardian of the Light series sounds fascinating. I love what you said about a person accepting his or her self and how it would make it easier for them to accept others. So very true.

Your Dust of Dreams book cover is lovely!

Take Care and Happy Spring!

SilverWolf said...

Happy belated Birthday. I'm sorry about your loss, I lost my Grandma in September of 2009 and lets just say it wasn't good. My kids and grandkids helped me through it but it was still tuff. Maybe spring getting here will help you through it. I love the spring, all the flowers popping up along with all the little baby animals being born. It shows us the renewal of live. Besides I love all the colors popping up it makes it look so much more cheerful.

Renee Wildes said...

Thanks Karen!
Kanaxa is the artist who did the cover for Dust of Dreams. Love the green and purple - very spring-y. I think people aren't whole people and they can't love others until they first love and accept themselves.

Renee Wildes said...

Spring was Gram's favorite season, for that reason. Spring is Nature's do-over, start-over. Yesterday was the kids' freak-out day. Today I'm a bit wobbly. But planning on doing a remembering-Gram blog later today over at http://www.reneewildes.wordpress.com/ Hope folks will feel free to drop by there, too.

Cheryl said...

Renewal and hope are such wonderful spring messages. At church yesterday we were talking about the new life we gained through Christ Jesus.

Love the cover of your book.

Wishing you the best,

Cheryl

cg20pm00(at)gmail(dot)com

Sarita said...

Happy birthday!

booklover0226 said...

I was raised on a farm with several horses. Wow, I really miss those carefree spring days. I had no responsibility but to have fun!

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

chey said...

I've been hearing the birds too.
chey127 at hotmail dot com

Renee Wildes said...

Sun's out, listening to church bells, poring over old photo albums. Feels like Gran's right here with me, laughing over crazy 60's glasses and 80's hair! There are buds on our baby pine tree on the porch - we feared it had died over the winter. For some reason that tree coming back makes me deliriously happy...

Anitra Lynn McLeod said...

I love waking up to the birds in my neighbor's pine tree. :) I do enjoy winter, but I can't say I'm sad to see it go--I'm so tired of cold feet!

Renee Wildes said...

I hear ya! Course, my daughter figure skates so I'm rather used to cold feet! I keep looking at the baby pine tree on our porch and thinking someday the birds'll be nesting in it...

Terra Pennington said...

Wow hope the snow is gone and everyone can enjoy the nice spring weather. Good times to sit outside and enjoy a good book in the fresh air.

Terra
tpen89@charter.net

Renee Wildes said...

That's my favorite way to spend the day! Currently reading Silver's Edge by Anne Kelleher (from LUNA).

Judy said...

Happy Birthday!!!

I enjoyed your post!! I love spring here in the South. It is in full bloom. I love the cover of your book Dust of Dreams!!

Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

Renee Wildes said...

Thanks, Judy! I used to live in Virginia and I miss the azaleas! They were always so pretty!

Nightingale said...

What a super title Dust of Dreams. The book sounds like my cup of tea (or make a great read with a cup of tea!)

katsrus said...

Hi Renee. I love spring. I always look for my first robin. And my flowers starting to peek out. Really enjoyed your post.
Sue B

Renee Wildes said...

Dust of Dreams just came to me when I was trying to think of the perfect heroine for an elven spirit healer. Dream faerie came to mind and once I had that, the title was right there.

Robin said...

Happy birthday! Mine is next week. I love spring! I enjoyed your post and the description of your writing. :-)

Joni said...

I think Spring is the best time of year and really enjoy watching the flowers start to bloom.

o2oole(at)verizon(dot)net

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

for the last two weeks, even though we've still had snow, we've also had a pair of ducks hanging out under our birdfeeders. Yay spring ducks!