Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

SPRING IS BUSTIN' OUT ALL OVER: REBECCA GRACE


Springing into Spring
By Rebecca Grace

Some people look forward to each New Year as a time a new beginning. For others, the school year brings about annual changes, while others see their birth date as the start of a new year.

For me, there is something special about Spring. It’s more than the end of dreary winter days filled with watching the snow forecasts. And it certainly isn’t the idea of spring cleaning that gets me excited. No, it’s Spring Training.

What? Like Baseball Spring Training?

Well, yes, because each new baseball season is like the beginning of a new life. When teams show up at Spring Training camps in Arizona and Florida, players get to start fresh. Everyone has an equal chance to make this the best year ever! Last year’s accomplishments—or lack of them—no longer matter. Stepping out on the grass for the first time each Spring means a time for a new beginning –the opportunity for players to start something with the hope that, come Fall, their team will be fighting for a championship.

I apply that to my writing too. Think of how much you can get done by October if you start in the spring. Whether it’s writing a new romance, a new adventure, or a new mystery, Spring offers the perfect time to begin a new story. I love beginning new writing projects in the Spring. For certain new story ideas “spring” to life under the warmer days that carry a hint of brighter days to come.

Like those baseball players taking their first pitches in the Spring, this new story holds just as much promise. It could be the best story I’ve ever written. It holds all the exciting prospect of wonderful things to come. Of course there will be the doldrums of August and perhaps a few losing periods when I throw out and re-edit what I’ve written, but right now, there’s hope, there’s the thrill of that new idea, that new season.


So, it’s time to shed those winter pounds, time to get a new hair style and bright, fun clothes. Time to take those steps onto the grass and start that new story and hope that come fall, I’m fighting for a championship in the form of a new contract!


Becky Martinez is a former award winning broadcast journalist who writes novels and short stories in the romantic suspense and mystery genres under the name Rebecca Grace. Her gothic suspense novella, Shadows from the Past, will soon be published while her latest romantic suspense novel, Deadly Messages, is now available at www.thewildrosepress.com.

She is co-author of the writing book, Ten Steps to Creating Memorable Characters and teaches workshops on writing and marketing. Her website is www.rebeccagrace.com and her writing website is www.writethatnovel.com

43 comments:

alanarose said...

Great post. I love the winter. But Spring is very refreshing.

Rachel Firasek

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Rachel, I find I do some of my best writing in the Spring!

sophiepembroke.com said...

Great post! My birthday's in Spring, so I always have that new year, new start feel, too. And I always like to start a new project around then.

Tamara said...

I am a fall/winter person myself but seeing everything in bloom again is nice!

Lost in My Own Thoughts said...

That's a great analogy to use in writing. I'm starting a new novel and I can watch it unfold like the blooming trees and flowers. Thanks!
Melissa Stark

Terry Odell said...

In Santa Fe, I noticed the aspen trees were already covered with catkins. Here, 2000 feet higher we're still waiting. Spring is a wonderful time to start fresh.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

Donnell said...

Becky, love this. What a great analogy. I'm a firm believer in do-overs ;)

Every day brings a chance to start over ~ Oprah Winfrey, TV personality, actor and founder of O Magazine

Debra said...

I love spring & it is a great time to begin a new project.

Debra

Ceri Hebert said...

Love it! I'm so inspired by spring, whether its the urge to get out and garden and grill or write. Great post!

writingpi said...

Enjoyed (and was inspired by) your post, Becky! That Deadly Messages cover is awesome too.

Have a great spring, Colleen

Barbara Edwards said...

her in florida, the azaleas are blooming. that's my first sign of spring.

www.barbaraedwards.net

JoanneR said...

That is so how I feel about Spring and all the newness of starting over. New Year's Eve doesn't do it for me and my birthday is in the fall, so that kind of feels like the end of things. You just made me feel more inspired to restart.

N. R. Williams said...

Nice post, loved the comparisons.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

cheryl c said...

You are right about spring being a good time to start a new project or restart a stalled one.
castings at mindspring dot com

Karen H in NC said...

I absolutely HATE winter. I moved to NC from MI right after I retired. I love MI in the spring & summer but the winters are too long, too cold, too snowy! Give me summer temps all year long! YEA Summer! OK, I'll stop now...

kkhaas at bellsouth dot net

Jennifer said...

Spring is always a great time to start things fresh. Thanks for the reminder.

booklover0226 said...

I start each spring with a new hair cut!

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Ingeborg said...

I love the spring. I have so much more energy.

Kit3247@aol.com

Stacie said...

I think that is a good way to approach your writing. Giving yourself the Spring and Summer to get your story down really helps put an end date in your mind. Good idea.

Stacie
user1123 AT comcast DOT net

Rebekah E. said...

I can't wait to start seeing all of the flowers popping up.

bc428(at)juno(dot)com

Maria said...

I love spring, the weather is nice enough to be outside with a long sleeved blouse and you don't get overheated or too cold. It's definitely a good time to start fresh on whatever your yearly plans are - whether it's a new diet and exercise plan or a garden. Good luck with your spring plans!

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

Faith said...

I do something similar too. I have a new novel I've started and want the first draft done by sometime in June. Then I'll set a goal for a final draft in early fall.

bicknellbrown @sbcglobal.net

Jean P said...

Love spring, everything is new again, can't wait for the flowers to start blooming and leaves to come out on the trees.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Laura said...

I love snow at Christmas, but the rest of the time Old Man Winter can keep it for himself. The older I get, the more I look forward to spring each year! Great post and fitting comparisons!

Deb said...

I love winter but after the past six months of snow, sleet, and slush, that love is wearing thin. So exciting this year to see the crocus and daffodils push their way up out of the earth, and to hear birdsong overhead. Thank you for the great post. Happy new writing to all!

Rebecca said...

Tamara
I love Fall too, but there's something so special about Spring. It's 75 degrees here in Denver today and we have the windows open for the first time in months.
Wonderful breeze. Makes me want to go sit outside and write.

Rebecca said...

Terry
We got to see cherry trees blossoming as we drove through Taos. Wonderful drive back from Santa Fe.

Nikki said...

Spring is great, but here in Arizona, at least Phoenix, we usually jump from winter to summer. The spring type weather is short lived around here. We hit 100 degrees yesterday. Too hot too soon!!!

Great post BTW :)

Nikki

Judy said...

I really enjoyed your post. Your books look very good.

I love the spring, but the summer is another story, too hot here in the South!!!

Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

Rebecca said...

Thank you all for your comments on Spring. I think I spent so many years in Los Angeles where the seasons didn't change that now I really live for it!

Leanne109 said...

I adore Spring as well, summer will be around the corner ;)

leanne_gag@hotmail.com

Sheila said...

Hi Rebecca, fellow GothRom, great blog. Good luck on the new contract.

Sheila

Jedeane said...

Love the anaology between the start of baseball training and starting a new writing project. So I guess it's Batter Up!
Jedeane Denver

1f73f84c-50e1-11e0-8316-000bcdcb471e said...

This was an awfully looooooong winter, today was the first I was able to get to the garden. Loved hearing the happiness of the birds and feeling the hug of the sun.

krykym(at)fullchannel.net

Donna B said...

Oh my gosh, Rebecca. I love your cover! I'll have to look for this one!

jenniferprobst said...

Spring is my renewal time, and my baseball time! Nice entry!

Karin said...

Very interesting analogy. I never would've thought to put baseball and writing together, but it does make sense. Here's to a great season!

Silver James said...

Ok. I admit it. I start counting down to Pitcher/Catcher day from Jan. 1. I'm a total baseball nerd! I miss the days my Only played ball. I got so much writing done in-between games at tournaments! LOL

Denise said...

While I'm not a BIG sports fan, there is something about having the Boys of Summer stepping to the plate again. Combined with all the new/renewed life springing up all over and how can one not be hopeful. Thanks for an ejoyable post.

Denise Golinowski
denisegolinowski(at)verizon(dot)com

Carol Burge said...

I love spring, it's my favorite season. I've never thought about putting baseball and writing together. It's something to think about. :)

I have Ten Steps to Creating Memorable Characters and love, love, love it! Best of luck with Deadly Messages.

Carol
ceb 0140 (AT) hot mail DOT com

EdgesAngel23 said...

Great post! I love Spring because all the pretty song birds come back, all the little critters come back out and some beautiful flowers start popping up :) Plus the warmer weather is a HUGE bonus! :)
Ashley A
ash_app@hotmail.com

Sarita said...

Baseball spring training--I love it! So glad to see men in baseball uniforms; just another spring picker-upper!

Great post, thank you.

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

Spring is too muddy for me to really love, but there's something to say about all the warm spring sun