Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, April 29, 2011


Spring Fancies

In spring, a young man’s fancy may turn to love, but mine turns to thawing dog poop.


I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, home of the -45 winter days (plus -15 wind chills), and even in the cold weather, our furry ones need to be walked. Once spring comes, and the snow starts to melt, all that frozen poop from the parks start to thaw.  I love my boys, but those first few weeks, the slush, mud, and stinkiness is overwhelming.  They, on the other hand, love the smells.

And it always makes me wonder about the difference between the human and canine nose. What is it they smell in the earth and moss that I don’t?  Could thawing coyote feces be the equivalent of a fine wine or hold all the intoxicating aromas of a finely stewed gumbo?

I don’t know, but it catches my imagination, and their excitement is hard to resist.  Spring is exciting—from the first blade of grass poking through the dirt or the red tulips vying for sun amidst the melting snow, it’s hard not to get drunk on the warming sun, the sweet aroma carried on the wind.  And that blue sky.  If it wasn’t for all the work waiting for me at home, I’d be happy to just walk in the River Valley with the guys, waiting for the leaves to bloom and drowning in the bright blue heavens.

I guess, in retrospect, in spring my fancy does turn to love. Spring love. The joy of the first time I get to wear open-toed shoes, or pulling out my flirty dresses from the closet and setting aside the winter coats for next year.  And if I was truly honest, I suppose I’d admit to being just as excited as the boys at the smell of thawing doggy poop because it says that spring’s in the air and summer’s not far behind.

When I was little, there was only one thing I wanted to be: a superhero.  But there came a day when my dreams were broken, and that was the day I realized that being a klutz was not, in fact, a super power, and my super weakness for anything bright and shiny meant a magpie with self-control could easily defeat me in a battle of wills.  I turned to writing as a way to sharpen my mental super-hero skills. I don’t get to orbit the earth in a space station (and thank God, because I get sick on merry go round), but I do get to say things like: “Stand aside! This is a job for Writing Girl


Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

Spring has quickly become my least favorite season, purely because of the mud and my one mud loving dog who likes to dig holes...

Brown said...

LOL, Sarah! I feel your pain--one of our dogs likes to roll in freshly-thawing poop, which has prompted many, many baths and a seriously grossed out mom!

Maria said...

Lol Natasha! I'm not one for bad smells so I concentrate on the good smells of spring from the flowers...I too love the warmer weather, increased sunshine and being able to pull out lighter,more colorful clothing. The sandals are an addes plus!
Thanks for the post.


Jean P said...

I can relate to what you say, not a fun part of owning dogs when you live in a snowy part of the world.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Sarita said...

Love your book cover!

snowdance1 at gmail dot com

booklover0226 said...

You're a new author for me. I look forward in learning more about you and your works.

Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Judy said...

Very interesting post. Thank goodness I live in the Deep South. I am not sure I could handle that:)
I love the cover of your book.


Brown said...

Maria: I can't help but wonder if there's something in the smell of poop that I'm totally missing...I mean, no animal likes being around anything stinky, so there's GOT to be something, right?

Jean: Hope it's lovely and warm in your section of the world.

Sarita & Judy: Thanks for liking the book cover. Wish I had legs like, and when the dogs start rolling in poop, wish I had a drink in hand!

Thanks for reading, ladies, and have a great weekend!

Brown said...

Thanks, Tracey!

Mike Keyton said...

Could thawing coyote feces be the equivalent of a fine wine or hold all the intoxicating aromas of a finely stewed gumbo?

Depends on the vineyard or the cook, I suppose :)
keytons at btinternet dot com

Virginia said...

Great post, you are a new author to me so I will have to check out your books. Sorry don't have dogs and thats a good thing right now because our yard is nothing but puddles from all the rain.

Terra Pennington said...

oh my I never thought about frozen dog poop. I don't think I will look at spring the same after your posting. That was just to cute.


Angelwolfstorm said...

Lol on the thawing doggy poop! Glad I don't have to deal with that.