Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011


Something New....

No, not the movie, although Simon Baker is very nice to look at. I’m talking about spring renewal.  You know that time of year we clean everything out and try and start fresh?

Every year I promise myself that I’ll be open to new experiences and take on new challenges. Now while I often jump into new challenges with gusto, those challenges often fall within my known world. Job, writing, photography. Probably like some of you, I’m not going out of my way to really push past my comfort zone. And why would I? It’s called a comfort zone for a reason, because it feels like those worn in house slippers we all refuse to throw away.

Those of you who know me personally know I love a schedule. I live and breathe by my to do lists and plotting maps. My poor husband who loves to try new things just because he’s curious, is always nudging me beyond my comfort zone and unfortunately I usually fight tooth and nail. Even a basic afternoon outing, I need to know where we’re going and who’s going to be there, so I can plan for every eventuality....and outfit. God knows you want to be wearing the right shoes for every adventure.

This past weekend, he challenged me to try something I’d never done before, sailing. And of course I bristled, because if it’s new, I don’t have an approved plan for it and all the possible things that could go wrong. As usual, he rolled his eyes and reminded me I couldn’t know I didn’t like it until I tried it. I hate when the man speaks truth. So last Saturday, we went sailing. Surprise, surprise, I had fun. A lot of fun.

What other fun have I been missing out on because I’ve over imbibed on that deadly cocktail of laziness and a need for control laced with a dollop of fear? I’m too stubborn to let a little cocktail like that get in my way of a rocking good time, so every month, twice a month, I’m going to try something new and not over plan everything to death. And so I stay honest, because God knows I love to be shamed into doing things, I’m going to post my latest adventures on the blog.

It’ll be great. I’ll finally try some things that have always looked like fun, but I’ve always brushed off. Now all I need to do is make a list of the things I’ve always wanted to try....

Wait a minute, did I just try and plan spontaneity?

Maybe I’m hopeless, but a girl really should make sure she has on the right shoes for every adventure.

Nana’s love of all things romance and adventure started with a tattered romantic suspense she borrowed from her cousin on a sultry summer afternoon in Ghana at a precocious thirteen.  She’s been in love with kick butt heroines ever since.  With her overactive imagination, and channeling her inner Buffy, it was only a matter a time before she started creating her own characters.
Waiting for her chance at a job as a ninja assassin, Nana, meantime works out her drama, passion and sass with fictional characters every bit as sassy and kick butt as she thinks she is.  Though, until that ninja job comes through, you’ll find her acting out scenes for hubby and puppy while catching up on her favorite reality television shows in sunny San Diego.

Her debut novel GAME, SET, MATCH is available from The Wild Rose Press and Amazon.


Rebekah E. said...

It is really hard to get out of comfort zones. My husband is always trying to get me to try something new.

Jean P said...

I agree it is really hard to get out of your comfort zones. We are so set in our routines in our life, even our dog knows what we are doing in a day.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Sarita said...

Big congrats on your new release.

I like a schedule, too.

booklover0226 said...

I like the idea of challenging onself. It's a great way to grow and discover new things.

Though I don't do it as much as I should, I am proud of myself after I've accomplished something new.

Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Michele said...

I thrive on a schedule but I'm so disorganized, I can't get one together.
I LOVE experimenting with new food. I want to go out of my comfort zone - but I draw the line at know, raw things that move.
I'd jump at the chance to try wild things but it's very easy to stay within my comfort zone with the rationality "I can't afford it" .. I mean $85-$100 for ONE helicopter ride for 10 minutes? Not worth it.
$20 and 1 hour wait just to bungie jump on a pole? I have better things to do.
Yep, I can come up with many reasons to stay in my comfort zone.
So I congratulate you on pushing your boundries.
Bet that sailing adventure will show up in your writing!

Nana Malone said...

Hi Rebekah,

I understand that for sure. I'm always stuck in a rut it feels like. But somehow every spring, I get in the mood to break the cycle. It usually works out with something amazing.


Nana Malone said...

So true Jean,

With the new baby, we have a very set schedule. It's the only way I can function with the new responsibilities. Our dog knows ever night at 5:30 to start hovering around the baby's highchair for food. Even when we're a bit late, there's the darned dog waiting on us. Lol.

Nana Malone said...

Thanks Sarita. My schedule is the only way I make it to points A and B through the day without forgetting something. Lol.


Nana Malone said...

Oh I feel you Michele. I will find ways to stay in my comfort zone too. That's why hubby is so great. He checks me into trying new things. Next month, we're going paddle boarding. Yikes.

Angelwolfstorm said...

I'm one of those schedule people too and have a hard time getting out of my comfort zone.

Maria said...

Lol Nana! I have to admit that I like to stay in my comfort zones too! I have a hard time trying new things and don't always adjust to change well but like you I have friends and family that meke me

Thanks for the post!


Misty said...

Girrrl, you went sailing?!!? I'm impressed. What shoes did you wear?

chey said...

Sometimes it's just difficult to talk yourself into trying new things.

Judy said...

Congrats on your release, it really looks good!!

I have to have a schedule or I am off center. Like right now, I am off center, nothing went right today and I am running late on many things.


Robin said...

That is a great idea!

Nana Malone said...

Hi Angel. It is hard. But I have to tell you, I had a blast. Made me wonder why I don't do it more often.

Nana Malone said...

Thanks for stopping by Maria. Lol. Where would we be without those people in our lives who push us?

Nana Malone said...

Miss Misty. HAHAHHAHHAHAHHA. I wore platform sandals of course. Just because I was sailing didn't mean I couldn't look fabulous.

Though was seriously terrified of going overboard the whole time.

Nana Malone said...

Thanks for commenting Chey. It's true. It is hard to talk yourself into stuff, but so worth it.

Nana Malone said...

Hey Judy!

Thank you. GSM is my heart. Or at least a piece of it. Lol.

I understand about being off center. When I get like that I can't focus on anything to save my life.

Nana Malone said...

Thanks Robin! I won't tell my husband though. He'll just take all the credit. Lol.

cheryl c said...

Wishing you lots of fun adventures in the future!
castings at mindspring dot com

EdgesAngel23 said...

I know what you're saying about comfort zones! My fiance had to BRIBE me to get me to go out on my friend's pontoon boat...of course once I got on the darn thing I never wanted to go back on dry land!!
Ashley A

Terra Pennington said...

Wow! welcome spring in by going sailing sounds like it was a blast. Even if the hubby had to push you into. Happy Earth day to you. Off to check out your books.


Carol Burge said...

Getting out of your comfort zone. Ooohhh, very brave! :)

I'm not real thrilled about doing something if it's out of my confort zone, either, but I will give it a try. Most of the time it's not too bad. :)

Being organized? I wish.

Best of luck with GAME, SET, MATCH!


Joni said...

Unfortunately, the older one gets the more you resist being pushed out of your comfort zone. So, you young ones should get out there and do everything you have always dreamed of. (but were afraid to do.)

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

i thrive in my comfort zone, and breaking out of it usually requires a lot of personal build up. But it's almost always worth it