Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, April 18, 2011


Spring Celebrations Through the Ages
By Karen Michelle Nutt

There are pagan and religious holidays associated with spring. The earliest reference to a spring celebration dates back to Babylon, 2400 BCE. The city of Ur’s celebration was dedicated to the moon and the spring equinox. On the spring equinox Zoroastrians celebrated, No Ruz, the new day or New Year. 

To the Celts, the equinoxes and the solstices were the holy times of transition, where nature and life cycles renew. Alban Eiler means ‘Light of the Earth.’ It was the first day of spring where day and night were equal. The spring equinox was celebrated before the Celtic tribes arrived in Ireland. There are ancient Irish equinox temples in Knowth. This is near Newgrange or ‘BrĂș na Boinne.’ Knowth has a 100-foot long passage that accepts the Sun on the morning of the Spring and the Autumn Equinox. In Longhcrew, ‘Cairn’ is an older stone cairn equinox temple. 

Easter is derived from Eostre, the name of the Anglo-Saxon lunar goddess. Eostre’s feast day was held on the first full moon following the vernal equinox. On this day, the goddess was believed to mate with the solar god and a child would be born nine months later on Yule, the winter solstice on December 21st.

Eostre’s important symbols were the hare and the egg. The hare represented the full moon and fertility. The egg represented growth and possible new life. Even today these two symbols are popular with the modern Easter celebrations. 

Rabbits have long been associated with fertility and birth. There is a German legend where a poor woman had decorated colorful eggs for her children to find. As soon as the children found the hidden eggs, a large bunny was spotted hopping away. Some believe this is how the legend of the Easter Bunny was started. 

Interesting Facts About Spring and Easter Eggs:

If you were standing on the equator during either the vernal equinox or autumnal equinox, you would see the sun pass directly overhead, the only two times in the year when this happens. These two equinoxes is the only time the sun rises due east and sets due west.

In Spring, the Earth’s axis is tilted toward the sun, increasing the number of daylight hours. 

According to the Guinness Book of World Records the largest Easter egg ever made was over 25 feet high and made of chocolate and marshmallow. The egg weighed 8,968 lbs. 

The custom of giving eggs at Easter time has been traced back to Egyptians, Persians, Gauls, Greeks and Romans, to whom the egg was a symbol of life.

Blurb for Lucca: Warriors for the Light (Fallen Angels Novel, Book 2) 

Lucca Marlowe is half human, half angel, a Nephilim who abhors humans. Banished for crimes against one of his fellow brethren, the elders bind his glamour and wings, casting him to the human’s realm. He’ll either learn to respect his human side of existence or live out eternity trying.

Lucca does not live a mundane life. Angels and demons demand he do their bidding. His estrange father resurfaces after centuries of being absent and he’s brought a friend from Hell.

To make his life more complicated, he fears he found his soul mate in a human female. Only Juliet Romeo has a secret that will bring the wrath of Heaven down upon their heads.

It’s a race against time to find out who will end up with his soul.

About the Author:

Karen Michelle Nutt lives in California with her husband, three fascinating children, four dogs and three cats. Jack, her Chihuahua/Yorkshire terrier is her writing buddy and sits long hours with her at the computer.

Her Book, Lost in the Mist of Time, was nominated for New Books Review Spotlight Best Fantasy Book of the Year Award 2006. A Twist of Fate was a nominee for Best Time Travel P.E.A.R.L. Award for 2008. Creighton Manor won Honorable Mention P.E.A.R.L. Award 2009.

In her spare time, Ms. Nutt reviews books for PNR-Paranormal Romance Reviews. An avid reader of history, romance and the paranormal, she tends to combine all three in her writings.

Fallen Angels, Vampires and shape shifters embrace her darker side where their worlds intertwine with ours. She enjoys travel, old movies, books and the chance to weave a tale.
Visit the author at:
Stop by her blog for Monday interviews, chats and contests at:


Maria said...

Thanks for the info on Easter Eggs and the Rabbit- hiding Eggs in the yard for an Egg hunt is one of the highlights of our family Easter celebration. Thanks for the blurb for Lucca: Warriors for the Light -
sounds interesting.


Jean P said...

Thanks for all the fun info regarding Easter Eggs and the Rabbit. Enjoyed reading the blurb for Lucca: Warriors for the Light.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Angelwolfstorm said...

I knew a lot of those facts about Easter and Spring but some I didn't so thanks for sharing those!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


I love finding out where our traditions all begun.

I'm glad Lucca caught your interest, too.

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful Easter!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


You're welcome. :)

I'm glad you found Lucca intriguing. He was a challenge to write. He was the anti-hero I needed to become the hero. I believe you'll enjoy his journey.

Take care and Happy Spring!!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Angel Wolf Storm,

I'm glad you enjoy the post. :)

Happy Spring to you!

Janet Kay Gallagher said...

Hi Karen,
Enjoyed your site. Trailers are great. It makes it hard to select only one to read, with so many excellent ones posted.
Missouri is listed as your home. If you are close enough maybe you can come to our 6th Annual Cherry Blossom Festival 28,29,30 April 2011. Marshfield, MO. off I-44 exit 100. Between Springfield and Lebanon,MO.
Our site is:
Neat events planned.

cheryl c said...

It's fascinating to hear about the origins of our customs.
castings at mindspring dot com

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


Thanks for coming by. I wish I could stop by the 6th Annual Cherry Blossom Festival, but you're too far away. I in Calif. not Missouri. lol I hope you have a fantastic time!

Happy Spring!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


I enjoy finding out the origins and customs we embrace, too.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

Take care and Happy Spring!

Robin said...

I love to learn about how all these traditions inter-relate - fascinating! Thank you!

Virginia said...

Thanks for the info on Easter, looks like its going to be a rainy one for us.


Joni said...

Learning about the origin of our holiday customs is very interesting. Thanks for an informative visit.

Susan Hanniford Crowley said...

I loved your blog on Spring. There were some things I didn't know. I especially loved learning about Lucca. Now I'll have to find out more.


Judy said...

Really enjoyed the post. I love finding out about the origins and traditions on just about everything.

Your new series looks very good. Lucca looks very interesting:)

Can't wait for Easter, I love to watch the grandkids hunt for eggs in their new colorful clothes!!


Larion aka Larriane Wills said...

it's always fascinating to see how the different holidays evolved. thank you.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


I love reading about legends and traditions. They've always fascinated me.

Thanks so much for coming by to say hi!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Easter here in Calif could see rain. Our weather has been crazy. It's been in the 80s and 90s then it's dropped down to the 60s.

Easter morning's weather will be a surprise. lol

I hope you have a good one!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


You're very welcome. I fun writing the post.

I hope you have a wonderful Spring!

booklover0226 said...

I enjoyed reading the post; it was interesting and entertaining.

Lucca: Warriors for the Light sounds really good; I'm adding it to my wish list.

Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Rebekah E. said...

It is amazing when you look back in history what you will find.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Hi Susan!

So glad you enjoyed the post and of course Lucca. He's quite a character. I hope you enjoy his tale.

Happy Spring!!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


Thanks so much. I hope you enjoy Lucca's tale. :) I sure enjoyed writing it.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


I agree, it is fascinating how the different holidays evolved.

Thanks so much for coming by. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Rebekah E,

I have a blast with research. Thanks so much for stopping by today. :)

chey said...

Great blog! Lots of interesting info!
chey127 @ hotmail dot com

Nightingale said...

Interesting spring facts, Karen, and your books sound truly fascinating. I have both now in my TBR, which I keep to a minimum as I can't seem to find time to write and read.

The Paperback Diva said...

Amazing how some of our customs start. Thanks for sharing. I like the sound of your books too.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Thank you, Chey.

Thanks for stopping by,too. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Paperback Diva,

It was a pleasure to share. If you have the chance to read Eli and Lucca, I hope you enjoy their tales as much as I enjoyed telling them.

Take Care.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Hi Nightingale!

So glad you could swing by for a visit.

Thanks for adding my stories to your to buy list. There are so many books I want to read. I would love more time to indulge, too.

Happy Spring!!

Sarah Grimm said...

Great post, Karen! Can't wait to read Lucca, it sound fantastic!

Jacki C. said...

I LOVE the cover for "Lucca", and the story sounds great. I'm putting "Lucca" on my to-buy list.
Things are kind of crazy around our house this time of year. I just finished cooking a Brisket for Passover, and now I have to go shopping for Easter dinner too - I hate to cook!

Maggi Andersen said...

I love old movies too, Karen. What a sweet dog! Thanks for the interesting blog.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Hi Sarah,

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and the sneak peek at Lucca. :)

Happy Spring!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Jackie C,

I'm thrilled with how the cover of Lucca turned out. Thanks letting me know how much you liked it, too. :)

Our family--aunts, brothers, sisters--get together at my mother's house for Easter dinner. It's a big event there.

So you celebrate Passover and Easter. You are busy!

Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hello. Enjoy your Brisket and I wish you a very Happy Easter!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

My doggie is Jack and he sits with me while I write. He's a sweetheart.

Aren't old movies the best. My daughter and I like to sip hot chocolate and and watch them.

Terra Pennington said...

Hey Ms. Karen,

Love the first fallen angel book and looking forward to reading about Lucca. He has a lot to make up for and can't wait to see how he does it.


Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Waving to you, Terra!

Lucca was truly a bad boy in Eli. lol

I think you'll enjoy Lucca's journey to redeem himself. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by.

Happy Spring to you and your family!!

Sarita said...

Wonderfully informative. Interesting, too!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


Thanks for stopping by. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. :)

EdgesAngel23 said...

Wow what a great post! I have always wondered where the legend of the Easter bunny came from and how the bunny figures in. thats really cool to know about the colored eggs too.
Your book looks very interesting too! There aren't very many fallen angel stories out there :)
Happy Spring!!
Ashley A

Carol Burge said...

Wow,very informative post, Karen. I never knew the history behind the Easter Bunny/Rabbit and Easter eggs. Thanks so much for sharing!

Lucca: Warriors for the Light sounds like an interesting read. I'll have to check it out!


Karen Michelle Nutt said...


I'm so glad you enjoyed the post.
I love finding out where our traditions starteds

I hope you enjoy Eli as much as enjoyed writing his tale.

Take Care. :)

Beth Caudill said...

Great post. Very information.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Thanks so much, Beth for coming by. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. :)

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

instead of hunting for easter eggs in my family, we take those cheap plastic eggs and have an easter egg fight. No matter how hard you throw them at someone, they don't hurt, so it leads to a lot of hilarity (especially since my Mom has such crappy aim)

Small Review said...

Thanks for all the info about Easter customs. I could figure out the egg, but I always wondered why we include rabbits. Now I know! :)

imagesandwords at optonline dot net

Karen Michelle Nutt said...


When my kids were little, I used to hide the plastic eggs for them to find on Easter morning. I'd fill them with Easter candy. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Small Review,

I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks so much for coming by. :)