Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

SPRING IS BUSTIN' OUT ALL OVER: ELAINE CANTRELL


A Season of Renewal

Can anything move us and stir our hearts like springtime?  After a long, dark, colorless winter we long for sunshine and balmy breezes.  Aches, pains, and cares waft away on fresh, clean spring air.  Nothing in the world smells exactly like spring!  Or looks like it for that matter.  

In my part of the world spring comes early.  In late February I start to watch my back yard for the first sign of yellow.  Long ago I planted daffodils along the fence that encloses our back yard.  It seems like I go to bed one night with no sign of either green or yellow, but when I wake in the morning there they are, turning their cheerful faces toward my window and nodding hello.

I resist the urge to pick every single one of them, but I do collect a few to brighten my little office. 
By the time the daffodils are gone, my iris and azaleas are blooming.  You haven’t seen a beautiful sight until you see masses of mature azaleas blooming in a riotous profusion of colors.  I take picture after picture trying to capture the essence and beauty of the bushes, but no camera can do them justice.  

Tulips are wonderful too.  Last year I had a beautiful cluster of red ones planted in a corner of the yard.  It seemed that they didn’t last long, though.  I found out why when I looked out the window and saw my dog appreciating the flowers.  At first I thought she was sniffing them, but as I watched she neatly bit the blooms off and scattered the petals.  Oh, well.  At least she doesn’t like my daffodils. 

My heart too finds renewal just as the flowers do.  I begin to tackle projects I’ve neglected through the cold winter months, and my energy level spikes like that of a fifteen year old.  New dreams come to me, and I occupy my time seeking the best way to fulfill them.

Renewal and new dreams is the theme of my current release A New Dream.  Matt McCallum is mired in cold darkness when he loses his dream, but just as spring renews the flowers, Matt finds a new dream when he meets Violet Emerson.  You can read an excerpt from A New Dream at http://www.elainecantrell.com .  A New Dream is published by Astraea Press and can be purchased at http://www.astraeapress.com .  

Now it’s your turn.  What’s your favorite thing about the spring?  

Visit me at http://www.elainecantrell.com or at http://www.elainepcantrell.blogspot.com  .  I’m on Facebook and would love to be friends.  http://www.facebook.com/elainepcantrell .
   

Elaine Cantrell was born and raised in South Carolina.  She holds a Master’s Degree in Personnel Services from Clemson University and is a member of Alpha Delta Kappa, an international honorary sorority for women educators.  She is also a member of Romance Writers of America and EPIC authors.  Her first novel, A New Leaf, was the 2003 winner of the Timeless Love Contest and was published in 2004 by Oak Tree Books.  At present she teaches high school social studies.  In her spare time she enjoys reading, collecting vintage Christmas ornaments, and playing with her grandchildren.  Visit Elaine at http://www.elainecantrell.com and at http://www.elainepcantrell.blogspot.com .  She’s on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/elainepcantrell and would love to be friends.

34 comments:

margaret blake said...

What a beautiful song to Spring, Elaine, I really enjoyed reading your description. We are a tad behind you for a blossoming of Spring - daffodils and the first tulips - but your blog made my heart sing. Thank you!

Karen H in NC said...

I love the flowering trees that begin their non-stop blooming here in NC. And of course, I love the longer days. What I don't like is the time change! Could never figure out the purpose behind daylight savings time.

kkhaas at bellsouth dot net

JoanneR said...

That is my favorite part of spring and renewal, the flowers. Absolutely love that your female character's name is Violet, how appropriate for spring.

Maria said...

I love when the flowers start to come up through the ground and bloom, it's a sign that winter has definitely passed. Our tulips just started to open this past week and the temperature seems to be determined to stay over 60 which is a very nice change!

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

Tammy Doherty said...

We are a bit behind you for spring. Our daffodils are up and budded but won't open for another week most likely.

In early June, Mountain Laurels burst into bloom up here in central MA. I thought of them when you talked about the azaleas. A nearby town has a stretch of road with woods on each side. The Mountain Laurels are tucked in like the grass in an Easter basket. When they bloom, it's like God turned spotlights on the woodland. So beautiful.

I, too, love your character's name of Violet. Hopefully she's not a "shrinking" type!

Blessings,
Tammy
mail_tammydoherty at charter dot net

Rebekah E. said...

I keep looking out at the tulips and other flowers my daughter planted just waiting for them to bloom. I just love spring.

bc428(at)juno(dot)com

Elaine Cantrell said...

Ladies, thank you all for stopping by. My yard is beautiful right now. All of my azaleas are blooming like crazy. I do have some pictures of last year's flowers on my Facebook page in the photos section. My page is at http://www.facebook.com/elainepcantrell if you'd like to see them. If you do look, notice the bird nest behind the gutter on the picture of my son using his cell phone.

Jean P said...

I look forward to the bulb flowers pushing there way out of the ground. Last year we planted a magnolia tree, so I am looking forward to seeing it bloom this year.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

chey said...

My favourite part of spring is -- no snow.

Stephy Smith said...

Love the blog Elaine. I'm still waiting for Spring which seems like has abandoned my area. Congratulations on your new book. Sounds good.

Stephy

cheryl c said...

The flowers and the signs of new life after a dreary winter bring a new feeling of optimism and energy. I am glad that I don't live in a part of the country that seems to be stuck in winter.

castings at mindspring dot com

Judy said...

I enjoy watching all the green leaves sprout all over the trees and the flowers getting blooms on them and the birds coming out more and more. My husband keeps birdseed for them, so we have alot even during the winter, but you can tell they know it is getting warmer the way they flit about!!

Your post was very enjoyable and your book looks great, of course!!

Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

Elaine Cantrell said...

Ladies, thanks for stopping by. There are excerpts from A New Dream on my website at http://www.elainecantrell.com

This morning my clock went off around 5:30, and I lay in bed for a few minutes just listening to the birds sing. Spring has truly arrived in South Carolina.

Anthology Authors said...

Well, spring is playing hide and seek with us out in CA. Today, it's cold and dreary again. The entire weekend is scheduled for cold and dreary. (sigh) I am looking forward to some real sunshine. :)

Lovely post, Elaine. :)

Marci

kayspringsteen said...

Great post! I also have dogs who "appreciate" my flowers just a bit too much! Funny, they never seem to "appreciate" the roses twice! Best wishes on your release, A New Dream!

Cheryl said...

I was just talking about daffodils and tulips this week. When I was a growing up in the house my grandfather built, we had a lovely azalea bush that bloomed each spring. I still remember it.

Best of luck,

Cheryl

cg20pm00(at)gmail(dot)com

Linda Swift said...

What a lovely ode to spring, Elaine. And from the response you've gotten, I think many other authors feel as you do about this beautiful season. I'm glad your dog was eating tulips insead of popppies! And Violet, what a well-chosen name for your heroine. I am going to read the excerpt of this book right now. Happy spring. Linda

Kim Bowman Author said...

Congrats, Elaine! Can't wait to read:)

Elaine Cantrell said...

Thanks for coming by, ladies. I'm really glad the dog didn't eat poppies.

booklover0226 said...

I took a hard look at the grass today...it's green and long! Finally, spring is here!

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Elaine Cantrell said...

My dogwoods are lovely too. I love the pink ones, but the white are gorgeous.

Kytaira said...

My favorite part about spring is that winter is on it's way out the door!

I enjoyed reading about your book. Sounds like emotion and suspense rolled up together.

lynda98662@yahoo.com

Sue A. said...

Nothing says spring is here like the profusion of pink to the landscape that comes with cherry blossoms popping up.

DL Thomas said...

Spring...the giver and renewal of life.

It is finally getting warm enough for me to start going for walks again. I love to watch all the flowers, bushes, trees and animals come into themselves again.

Loved the blurb to your book. It is on my TBB list.

Deb
mammy4423@yahoo.com

Heidiwriter said...

Spring is my favorite season too! I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), so I look forward to emerging like the tulip each spring!

Faith said...

The array of colors available in azaleas is mind boggling! I used to have one at the old farm that was a cross between salmon pink and neon orange.

bicknellbrown @sbcglobal.net

Karen Michelle Nutt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Beautiful post about flowers and spring, but what I love most about spring is the days begin to become longer.

Happy Spring!

Crystal said...

Daffodils are my favorite flower. THere is just something so heart lifting about their bright cheerful yellow color.. they just make me feel good!

Read your excerpt of A New Dream...wow! Talk about a cliff hanger of a snippet!

Crystal

Terra Pennington said...

Love spring and all the flowers. Great time to sit outside with a good book and enjoy the fresh air.

Terra
tpen89@charter.net

EdgesAngel23 said...

I totally love all the new flowes that pop up and all the new little critters that come out to enjoy the nice weather. I love it when my Grandma's tulips come up too. Sometimes we get some pretty out there colors for tulips because the squirrels like to dig up tulip bulbs and bury them in new places so my Grandma-who only planted red and yellow tulips-ended up with purple tulips one year!
Ashley A
ash_app@hotmail.com

Joni said...

Nothing says spring as much as the beautiful azaleas and flowering trees that I love.

Sarita said...

Your post made my heart warm, thank you!

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

My daffodils just opened up today, and we're still waiting for the tulips. But i know they'll come, as long as i'm patient