Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

SPRING IS BUSTIN' OUT ALL OVER: DONNA BOLK

Spring is nature's way of saying "Let's party!" – Robin Williams

What and where is the biggest party of them all? Easy. That would be The National Cherry Blossom Tree Festival. The festival is an annual two-week event in held in Washington DC. A celebration of springtime it also commemorates the gift of 3, 000 cherry trees presented in 1912 from Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Tokyo to the city of Washington. The festival events include, a parade, family day, a celebration of the Arts, fireworks, live music, great food, The Pink Tie Party, and more.

Okay, so now you're probably saying, Donna you gave me what and where, how about the when? Sad to say, you missed it. The 2011 festival ended on the 10th of April.    

But before you go thinking I'm a tease who would make this grand ice cream sundae with chocolate fudge, whipped cream, and a cherry on top, I'm happy to report the best is yet to come!

The Cherry Blossom Festival will celebrate its centennial anniversary of the gift of the trees in 2012. The event will run from March 20th through April 27th, 2012. Extended from its normal two-week time frame to five weeks, it promises to be a celebration that will be remembered for years to come.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting my camera ready, and packing my party sneakers, destination Washington DC, the Spring Party place to be!

Seeing as you have a bit of a wait for the 2012 celebration, I'd like to invite you to check out my latest release from The Wild Rose Press.

Getting It Right is the first story in the Class of '85 Reunion series from The Wild Rose Press. The characters in these stories were in their teens when they last walked the halls of Summerville High School. Now, in their forties, they are returning to Summerville for their twenty-five year class reunion. They bring with them the baggage from years gone by. Some are looking for answers, others peace, and still others are hoping for one more chance to claim the love that got away. 

 Excerpt from Getting It Right:

            "Kelly, I want you to stay away from that boy."
            She finished rinsing her cereal bowl and put it in the dish rack. "Daddy, that boy has a name, it's Tyler Jackson. And we're just friends." For now, she added silently.
            She turned, leaned against the sink and looked at her father. "I don't understand why you won't give him a chance."
            He lowered the paper he'd been reading. "For the same reason I wouldn't belly up to a snake and kiss it."
            "Tyler isn't a snake."
            "No, he's a troubled boy who drinks and smokes. And he's made fast company with Denny Riker and Sharon Monroe."
            "Is that all you've got on him?" She folded her arms and shrugged. "Why, I heard he dances with the devil on Saturday night, too. The two of them are just thick as thieves."


Getting It Right is award-winning author Donna L. Bolk's third release from the Wild Rose Press. Her previous titles include PACKAGE DEAL and SAVING CINDERELLA.

            She is a former book reviewer for Affaire de Coeur magazine and currently reviews for several online sites. She enjoys hearing from readers and invites you to visit her website: www.donnalbolk.com  

16 comments:

Joan said...

Thanks Donna, didn't realize the centennial anniversary of the Cherry Blossoms was next year! I have been there before and they are beautiful. Will be putting this event on my calendar next year.

I loved Tye and Kelly's story. My favorite in the Class of 85 series. Anything new on the horizon?

Maria said...

I love the Cherry Blossom trees- thanks for the information on the upcoming Centenial Anniversary!

Your reunion series looks interesting. Thanks for the info.

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

Jean P said...

Thanks for the info on the centennial anniversary of the Cherry Blossom festival. I should try and convince my husband that we should *L*. I must check out your book, I liked the blurb for it.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Rebekah E. said...

Sounds like a fun festival.

bc428(at)juno(dot)com

Cheryl said...

Oh, this sounds like a great book. As for the festival, sign me up, I'm ready to go.

Cheryl

cg20pm00(at)gmail(dot)com

Judy said...

I saw the Cherry Blossom Festival for the first time this year on one of the news channels. They were so beautiful. I would love to to take the tour.

Congrats on your latest release. Really looks good.


Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

cheryl c said...

I have seen pictures, but I have always wanted to see the trees in person!
castings at mindspring dot com

booklover0226 said...

I live less than 1 hour from DC. This time of year is wonderful; the Cherry Blossoms are in bloom and everyone is in a jovial mood.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

chey said...

Sounds like a great Festival!
chey127 at hotmail dot com

Donna L Bolk said...

Happy Spring,

I'd like to send out a heart felt thank you to everyone who stopped by and left a comment, and to those who didn't leave a comment, but took the time to read the blog, I thank you, too. May you all have a wonderful Spring. Take care, Donna

Linda LaRoque said...

I'd love to see the cherry blossoms. We've been to DC but it was in the heat of summer.

Good luck with your novel. I loved the excerpt. Sounds like a good read.

Linda
www.lindalaroque.com

Terra Pennington said...

I loved the short excerpt on this one and need to check it out. Got to see why she needs to stay away from that boy.

Terra
tpen89@charter.net

EdgesAngel23 said...

Looks like I'm going to come to that festival next year! It sounds spectacular!
Thanks for the great post :)
Ashley A
ash_app@hotmail.com

Joni said...

Your mention of the Cherry Blossom parade brought back memories for me. When I was in school back in the 1950's our band was chosen to march in that parade. What a wonderful adventure! For most of us it was our first trip to the nation's capital, a hundred mile bus trip and an overnight stay.

Sarita said...

Great excerpt! Another to add to my wish list. :)

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

Awww! I want to attend a cherry blossom festival! That would be so awesome!