Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, April 8, 2011


Spring is in the Air!

Spring’s official kickoff is March 20. This year, like most years, cabin fever’s followed closely by spring fever! It feels wonderful to break loose of the heavy coats, the house, the burden of snow and ice. As Mark Twain said, “It's spring fever.... You don't quite know what it is you DO want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!”

No wonder spring time turns everyone’s thoughts to love. It’s just in the air - literally.

Every spring, we’re lucky enough to have a colony of frogs inhabit our backyard pond. These frogs make music with a passion. One will begin to trill, and another will join in, and soon the entire pond will be humming in harmony. It’s such a relaxing way to unwind at night under the stars. We turn on the underwater lights and watch them lazily swim, courting their mates with their songs. Some of these frogs sing all night.

Music’s an important part of courtship for most people too. Couples often have a special song, and hearing it immediately brings back the early days of their relationship. It’s just one more thread in the bond of love between them.

I love to incorporate this notion into stories. Music’s always held a special place in my heart, and can conjure so many emotions, especially if the singer’s passion comes through in the song.

The hero in my contemporary fantasy novel, Surfacing, is just such a musician. He’s passionate about his music. When he finds a girl who shares that passion, it creates a strong bond, and ignites their romance.

Here’s the blurb:
AJ Dillon is trouble. The former lead singer of an indie band has no home, no money and no future. His grandfather is the only relative willing to take another chance on him. AJ arrives in Weeki Wachee, Florida, with his guitar, a few clothes and a bad attitude. The only good thing about Weeki Wachee is the ocean -- the one place AJ feels at home.
 Grandpa lines up a job for AJ at Weeki Wachee Springs, where beautiful women perform as mermaids. Grandpa says real mermaids exist, but AJ doesn’t believe – until he meets Cassiopeia. She helps his passion for music resurfaces. But greedy Chaz finds out about her, and threatens to kill them if AJ doesn't go along with his plan to make a fortune with a real mermaid show. Can AJ save Cassie, even if it means losing her?

Surfacing is available in ebook and print from Whiskey Creek Press

I hope you’ll pop over to my blog to read reviews, view the trailer and more: 

Happy Spring, everybody!

Cate Masters has made beautiful central Pennsylvania her home for the past 20 years, but she’ll always be a Jersey girl at heart. A lover of all great writing, she aspires to entertain and enthrall with her own stories. Most days, she can be found in her lair, concocting a magical brew of contemporary, historical, and fantasy/paranormal stories with her cat Chairman Maiow and dog Lily as company. Look for her at, and in strange nooks and far-flung corners of the web.


Maria said...

My grandmother used to have a small fish pond in the backyard and we would go out at night and relax at night on the back porch. We don't have a pond in our yard but we do hava a large spruce and we have a lot of birds that are building their nests and singing in the morning - which is nice.
Love the blurb of your new book Surfacing, thanks for sharing it.


Jean P said...

The blurb for your book sounds like a great story. We have a drainage ditch at the back of our property and the frogs hang around there and sing, but right now it is kind of cool and they have been quiet.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

DL Thomas said...

We don't have wonderful fish pond with underwater lights, but...there is some land across the road from us that holds water every year and of course, nature being the best thing on earth...we get a lovely serenade from several walks of wildlife.

I love trying to pick out the different kinds of frog songs, crickets and other nightly singers.

Your book sounds very good.


JoanneR said...

Such a unique premise for a story, mermaids! And a musician thrown into the mix! Winner!

Tamara said...

I love sitting outside watching the stars and moon and listening to the frogs. Nature's music is very soothing to me.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hey, Cate, I really think the premise of your book is beautiful--about having that bond of music between the h and H. :-)

PS: I'm a Jersey girl at heart too!

Cate Masters said...

Thanks so much Maria! It's wonderful you have those childhood memories of your grandmother, something you can cherish forever. :)

cheryl c said...

What an intriguing plot! :-)
castings at mindspring dot com

Cate Masters said...

Thanks for your kind words Jean! Yes, our frogs have been shivering lately too. I'm hoping it warms up soon so they'll sing again.

Cate Masters said...

Thanks Deb! I love all our night songs too - except for the occasional coyote. He's kind of eerie!

Cate Masters said...

Thanks so much Joanne! I loved writing Surfacing. :)

Cate Masters said...

Isn't it wonderful Tamara? There's nothing more relaxing, to me.

Cate Masters said...

So glad you like it Jennifer! I had so much fun writing it. :)

Cate Masters said...

Much appreciated Cheryl! AJ's one of my favorite heroes.

Judy said...

I really enjoyed your post!! I enjoy listening to the frogs also, but my 4 year old grandson likes to catch them and bring them to maw maw (I don't care for them in my house:) ) I believe things like that helps keep me young and moving!!

Your book really sounds good!!


booklover0226 said...

This sounds really great, Cate. I look forward in reading it.

Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Maria Zannini said...

And it begs the question--are you musical, Cate?

Did you use your musical talent for this particular story?

Cate Masters said...

Thanks so much Judy! lol - I used to do the same thing to my mom when I was little, only it included turtles and snakes!

Thanks Tracey! Hope you enjoy it!

lol Maria - only in my aspirations. They fall far short of actual talent. To paragraphse the old motto "those who can, do, and those who can't, write about it." I am passionate about musicians I love though.

chey said...

This book sounds fantastic!

Cate Masters said...

Thanks very much Chey! :)

Kytaira said...

I haven't really been anywhere that the frogs sang. Not unless you count the Budweiser commercials!

I checked out your site. I have to agree that Liv is definately mermaid material. Especially in that picture. Did you start out thinking of Liv from the beginning or as you were writing?

Kym said...

Hi Cate..I grew up in Pa and will always be a PA girl. I now live in RI but return to PA every summer.

I was outside today looking for the frogs, no sightings yet.

All the best with ur new book :)


Cate Masters said...

Thanks for checking that out Lynda! No, not Liv specifically, but when I saw that picture I knew she fit the role. :) Ben Barnes was always in my head as AJ though. *sigh*

I'd never heard singing frogs till moving to central PA Kim, but now I just love them! Thanks for the good wishes!

Rebekah E. said...

Sounds like a great book.


Cate Masters said...

Thanks much Rebekah!

Faith said...

It might be a colloquialism for my neck of the woods, but we call those li'l frogs "peepers." That's how we know spring is officially here.


Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Hi Cate,

I have to check out your story. It sounds fabulous and I love the book cover. It couldn't be better.

Here's wishing you a happy spring!!

Take care,

Cate Masters said...

Interesting Faith. I think they also call them that in Puerto Rico, or maybe just my sister did while there!

Thanks so much Karen! Happy Spring to you too!

Carol Burge said...

Here in Michigan it's been in the late 40's the past week, but today we got a surprise, it is 82 degrees! Can we say SPRING FEVER! I've been doing the snoopy dance all day!

Music holds a special place in my heart, too. There are some songs I can't bare to listen to because they dredge up such powerful feelings. I imagine it's like that for a lot of people.

I loved reading about your frogs. Listening to a chorous of frogs on a balmy spring night would be sooo relazing! Wow!

Best of luck with SURFACING. It sounds like a really interesting read!

ceb 0140 AT hot mail DOT com said...

This sounds like a great premise for a novel. I discovered you through your win in the Pearl S. Buck Writing Contest. Great story -- keep up the great work!

Crystal said...

Ha Ha! I love the name of your cat: Chairman Maiow.... Rolling on the floor!

Thanks. I needed that giggle!


Cate Masters said...

Thanks so much Carol! I agree, there's nothing like a night under the stars listening to the frogs sing. :) Glad you had a bit of spring finally.

So glad to hear that Shawn. Thanks so much for checking out my story! And for your good wishes.

Our cat's a true dictator, Crystal! :)

Terra Pennington said...

I have this book on my wish list. Never read a book about mermaids and this one sounded yummy.


EdgesAngel23 said...

I'm lucky enough to live in a rural part of WI and we have creek that runs through our backyard. I always know when its spring because the "peeper" frogs (Thats what we call them, I'm not sure about their name lol) start singing and they trill up a storm! Sometimes I just turn off anything in the house that makes noise and listen to them sing their little hearts out! I love it and feel blessed :)
Ashley A

Joni said...

From one Jersey girl to another--this books sounds unique. I want to read about the mermaid.

Sarita said...

Happy Spring to you, too!

Love the frog, BTW. :)

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

Mermaids? And a musician? That sounds awesomesauce