Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

SPRING IS BUSTIN' OUT ALL OVER: ANNA SMALL

Spring Is Here


Spring has always been my favorite season, especially since living in Florida for the last fifteen years. It's the end of the mild winter, whose only noticeable presence is a few weeks of sweater weather and the annoying hindrance of not being able to swim in the pool. It's also the end of the dry, dead-looking grass and trees in my yard. With the coming spring, bright green leaf buds sprout all over the trees, making my daily commute a little brighter. Wildflowers spread across the woods behind my house, and I've been hearing different song birds in the mornings. Spring means turning off the heat (yes, even in Florida, we occasionally have to switch off the a/c!) and throwing open the windows to let in some warm, pollen-filled air. It's the time of my little boy's birthday party, which is always around Memorial Day, which is the first party of the year that we throw. I love that first party, because it's only the beginning of all the wonderful spring and summer bbq's to come.

I like giving the house a good "spring cleaning" and it's also time to rearrange my desk and office. Get rid of the kids' toys and shoes under my desk - check. Empty the wastebaskets and sort my files - check. Take a fresh look at all the goals I tried to reach before the New Year, and reclassify them. Make the NY Times' Bestseller list? Hmm - better put that one at the bottom, and move "finish next work in progress" to the top. I'll scour the Romance Writer's Report for upcoming online workshops and classes and decide which ones I'd like to try. Or maybe this year will be my turn to give a class.

Historically, spring is a time of rebirth. New ideas, new life. It's celebrated in various ways around the world, and usually features lots of candy and ham dinners in my house. It signals a fresh start where we can thaw the cold of winter and look forward to the long, lazy days of summer that lie ahead. Time to read all the books we didn't get around to in the winter; time to write the books we love.

Anna Small wrote her first romance novel when she was 16. Her mother's only request was that it not contain any love scenes. Anna was sorry to disappoint her.

Several books and years later, Anna still enjoys writing steamy, emotionally charged romances in both contemporary and historical settings. When not writing, she likes to travel and spend time with her family and friends.

Anna grew up in California and England and now resides on Florida's Gulf Coast with her husband, Walter, and their two children. Sharing in the fun is a pair of fat cats who enjoy sleeping on her manuscripts and two Labs, who have literally eaten the house.

Anna is always happy to chat with readers. Find contact info and novel excerpts at her website, http://www.annasmallbooks.com/.

18 comments:

Maria said...

Lol...I wish winter was only a couple of weeks long in the Mid-West...lol...Thanks for the post Anna

Love the cover to Taking a Chance on Forever...will have to look it up:)

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

meemzter said...

Have just finished reading Taking a Chance on Forever. What a great book and would really make a good movie. I loved Kate. Her story reminded me of myself and what would have happened if I had met my first love again. Keep up the good work Anna. I look forward to having a whole library of Anna Small Works!

Rebekah E. said...

I use to live in Florida and that state really does have a beautiful spring.

bc428(at)juno(dot)com

Judy said...

Enjoyed the post. I live in the South and love Spring the best. The Summer down here is too hot at times.

Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

Jean P said...

Must be nice living in a place don't have to deal with snow and spring that seems to take forever to show itself. Great cover on your book!

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Anna Small said...

Thank you for the nice comments! Florida spring is really like a New Jersey summer. It's been so hot and muggy lately. Happy reading!

Kimberley Troutte said...

I went to Florida (Orlando) last year and would love to go back. Such a beautiful place.

Your cover is beautiful, Anna.

Kimberley

chey said...

A few weeks of sweater weather sounds like a great winter!
chey127 at hotmail dot com

Angelwolfstorm said...

I grew up in South Florida and always hated there wasn't more of the seasons. North Florida does get cold during the winter which is nice and the Spring is beautiful!


angelwolf_storm@hotmail.com

Virginia said...

I would love to read this book, sounds like a great read.

Beth Caudill said...

The birds are chirping now that the thunderstorms have rolled through.

I love the colors of spring flowers. Spring in NC is full of temperature fluctuation. One day will be 50 degrees and the next 80. But it's fresh and beats the 100+ degrees of summer.

Anna Small said...

Hope that those of you in the "northern south" have managed to get through these terrible storms! Spring came in like a lion, all right. Thank you for the wonderful comments! My blog at www.annasmallbooks.blogspot.com has a free mini novella about how the two kids in my book meet and fall in love, thereby setting up their parents to rekindle what they once shared. Thanks for stopping by!

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

I have co-workers in FL, and they've been complaining about how hot it's been. Then i just remind them how it's been snowing here in MN this week

purrrrrrr said...

Oh Anna..you know I love ya..but I realllllly hate heat in Florida...I know..dumb that I live here..but I look forward to winter again LOL


Shelly

skanner63@gmail.com

booklover0226 said...

We are finally getting some spring days in MD. Today, it's breezy and a little cool and the the flowers are budding. Yeah, this is my favorite time of year.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Sarita said...

This sounds like a great book. Love the cover!

snowdance1 at gmail dot com

Mike Keyton said...

Ah, but have you experienced Spring in Wales?

keytons at btinternet dot com

Terra Pennington said...

Right in the middle of spring cleaning and I am so ready to sit down and enjoy a good book.

Great interview Ms.Small

Terra
tpen89@charter.net