Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

GUEST BLOG: STACY-DEANNE

Writers: You Can Beat Writers Block!

Any writer who has come to a block knows that it’s pure hell.  You wanna write. You strive to write. You crave to write. You have to write but you get to a part in your story that you just can’t get over. You stare at the page and one minute turns into thirty then an hour. You get off the computer mad and guilty. You have the ideas! You’ve been waiting to write this doggone scene but it just ain’t happening!

You try to force it. You search for articles and advice about how to beat this crippling mind disease. You find pieces that tell you the best antidote is to write, crap or not. 

You scroll back down to that blank section in that scene. You crack your knuckles. You’re optimistic. You got the helpful Writers Block combat article sitting beside your computer. You’re gonna write if it kills you damn it!  Then what? You put your fingers on the keys and nothing happens.

Do not fear my friends.  I’ll share tips that have helped me and hopefully it will do the same for you.

1)    1)   It’s Okay to Walk Away

Taking a break is the best remedy for beating a block.  Your brain is a sponge that sucks up tons of glop and needs a breather.  A block could be your brain telling you it needs rest.
 
2)     2)  Perfection AKA The Confidence Killer

Ahh so you have the perfection bug?  You slave over every single word, second-guess every sentence; reread the same scene a million times.  It takes you thirty minutes to write two sentences. Sound familiar? Don’t expect to be perfect. Perfection is self-sabotage for writers. 

3)     3) Don’t Let the Rules Rule You

The rules of writing exist for a reason. They can make our writing stronger and help us improve with each book.  But sometimes writers concentrate too much on the rules to the point of sacrificing their voice and style.  Remember, following the rules can help you but if you find yourself writing from a guideline more than writing from your soul, pull back. There are times when rules can be broken if you make it work. 

4)      4) You’re Stressed or Unhealthy

Stress and worrying can affect your writing ability. Pay attention to your diet. Do you eat a lot of sweets? Drink a lot of soda or eat tons of fast food? An unhealthy diet impacts your mentality and that hurts your creativity.  Caffeine and sugar make you jittery and will give you the wrong kind of high. Eat healthier and if you suffer from stress, do your best to control it. A healthy body is a healthy mind.

5)    5)   Ditch the Scene and Don’t Force It

Last but probably the most helpful is this one. When you get to that scene in your WIP that you just can’t tackle, ditch it. You know what I mean. That scene you stubbornly hang onto because you can’t see the book without it. The one where you switched POV’s a million times and still can’t “feel” the story. Let it go. If you just can’t get into a scene, you might not need it.

Writers are so afraid to make mistakes in our work but it’s unavoidable. Remember, you’re making up a story! You can do whatever the heck you want with it. There is no wrong way or right way if you can make it work. You’re the commander-in-chief.  It’s all up to you.



Stacy-Deanne (Dee-Anne) is an award-winning author of crime/mysteries and interracial romance. She’s been writing professionally since nineteen years old.  She’s called “Interracial Romance’s First Lady of Crime and Mystery”.  She’s been profiled in the 2006 NAACP-nominated book, Literary Divas: The Top 100+ African-American Women in Writing. She was born, raised and resides in Houston, Texas.

“Giving up the Ghost” is Stacy’s fourth release and first installment in her crime/interracial romance series starring Detectives Brianna “Bree” Morris and Steven Kemp. 

Giving up the Ghost (Peace in the Storm Publishing) 
Release: April 1, 2011
Read description of the book and blurbs at Stacy’s site:
Format: Print, Kindle and Nook
Send Stacy a request on Facebook! She’d love to add you!

14 comments:

Linda Swift said...

Very good advice. Thanks for sharing. Linda

Michele said...

oooh, #2 gets me every time.
When I write and I see that red squiggle under a word ... I have to fix it. I've tried to resist, but can't seem to let it stay there for long.
Maybe if I shut off that function?
Never really thought of it until now.
Hmmm... but #4 makes a ton of sense but I love my coffee. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to bullet point the tips. Great post!

Delaney Diamond said...

All good advice, Stacy!

I skip over a scene or stop writing and do something else if I get stuck. No point in forcing it for me and just writing anything, which I'll end up deleting.

Shelia said...

Good tips Stacy.

Tracy said...

Great post Stacy! Very helpful.

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
writerwellness said...

Lovely post. Great ideas!
Joy Held
Writer Wellness, A Writer's Path to Health and Creativity
Who Dares Wins Publishing

Christine H said...

Thanks for the contests and giveaway! I'm just a reader but I enjoyed the post!

chirth7@yahoo.com

cindystubbs said...

Thanks, If I had a Nook or a Kindle I would read a lot of e-books, I read six books or so a week checking them out at the library! I read every chance I get. I read once that writer's block is just self-consciousness, I think you've got it right! I write but I'd rather read, read, read! It amazes me what writers do.

DrkCherry said...

I have never read any of your books, however, I am adding you to my list of authors to check out. Thansk.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Stacey, my middle name is DeeAnn without the E and my daughter's first name is Stacy without the E. Funny coincidence. Best of luck with you career!

Debbi said...

Even though I am just a part-time writer for an online magazine, this is still advice I can definitely use. Even the short articles some days seem impossible to grasp, so I am very familiar with Writer's block. Thanks for the tips.

1f73f84c-50e1-11e0-8316-000bcdcb471e said...

I found the tips very helpful, thanks !

Kym

krykym(at)fullchannel.net

Kim said...

Fantastic post! Thanks so much for your insight into this common problem for writers.

Kim
kmiller@nancyberland.com