Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

GUEST BLOG: LYDIA DARE


10 Things You Don’t Know About Lydia Dare

So when we received the topic for this blog, I knew (the Jodie ½ that is) that I wouldn’t be able to rest until I wrote my half. As you may or may not know, Tammy and I are very different.

Where she is much more private than I am, my life is an open book. If you have a question, ask it – I’ll answer it. And the stuff I haven’t blabbed about through the blogosphere are things I don’t think is wise to reveal – you know the ever dangerous views on religion or politics. How in the world was I going to come up with TEN things you don’t know about me?

Tammy suggested we write each other’s TEN, but I knew that was a bad idea. Like I said, she is much more private than me. I have TEN things I could reveal about her, but then I’d end up in a pine box six feet underground. Back to square one.

My brain whirled and whirled on this until I had my list complete. Without further ado – the

TEN THINGS YOU DON’T KNOW ABOUT LYDIA DARE…
Jodie’s ½ :
1.      I’m frugal. Actually, Tammy says I’m cheap. I prefer the word frugal. Not to play into stereotypes, but my father’s family is Scottish. And if I’m frugal, my father is cheap. I think I inherited some of his qualities.
2.      I hate shopping. All my girlfriends’ eyes bug out of their head when I say that, but it’s true. If I can’t buy something online (with free shipping, of course – see the note about being frugal) and I have to venture into stores, I have a list of what I want/need to buy, and I buy it in the shortest possible amount of time.
3.      I love poker. I know it sounds like this would go against the frugal thing, but if I can play long enough, I consider it entertainment. And I don’t have a problem paying for entertainment. Besides, if I win – which I am known to do – then I can splurge on something I normally wouldn’t buy AND I got entertained. Winning is win-win for me. But I guess that goes without saying.
4.      I have a crush on Anderson Cooper. I did Twitter about this, but I don’t think most people know it. I don’t know what it is about Anderson Cooper, but he ALWAYS cracks me up. And his Ridiculist is priceless. I think I adore him, because he usually says exactly what I want to say, with a charming smugness that makes him adorable.
5.      I’m the oldest of four. That’s not Earth shattering, but I don’t think I’ve revealed it before. My sister Jill is five years younger than me. My brother Ryan is 8 years younger than me. My brother Nicholas is ten years younger than me.
6.      I handle all of Lydia’s social media. Well, mostly that’s true. Tammy and I do share blog duties. But if you’re reading something  on Facebook or Twitter, I am the one who posted it. And if Lydia has posted a message to someone’s blog – 9 out of 10 times, that was me.
7.      I started out screenwriting.  And regularly attended film festivals at Sundance and Telluride. So I think I am more heavily influenced by film as a medium than I am literature.  With that in mind…
8.      Classic films are my favorite. Some of you may know this. I may have blogged about it at some point. But like I said, I’m an open book and I’m trying really hard to find TEN things. So… there is something amazing about those old classic movies. Whether it’s Casablanca, Double Indemnity or anything directed by Frank Capra – they always catch my attention and I have to watch. Favorite Capra film ever – IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT. Coincidence that Lydia Dare’s newest book is IT HAPPENED ONE BITE, you wonder? Wonder no more – Absolutely NOT a coincidence.
9.      Favorite actor ever – Paul Newman. Amazing actor. Amazing person. I don’t have anything else to say on the subject.
10.  Favorite drink -  Sangria. Back during the Washington DC RWA Conference , I made my critique group go all over trying to find a glass. We finally did find a place that had Sangria, but it was SO awful that it turned the rest of them off of ever trying it again. Believe me, I know – I’ve been trying ever since. Maybe I’ll luck out in New York. Hey New Yorkers – where the best place to get a Sangria?

* * *
Tammy’s ½ :
Good grief… how on earth do I follow that?
1.       I’m not frugal.  I’m completely willing to pay for comfort. I’ll have someone park my car for me or pay for more expensive parking at the airport to keep from having to walk so far.  I think of it as an investment I pay toward having a good time. 
2.      One of my favorite activities is people watching. Yes. People watching.  Jodie thinks it’s funny but I like to sit at the back of a room, be very quiet and watch everyone.  You learn a lot about people by watching rather than talking.  Jodie calls it being antisocial.  But I call it smart.  Go figure.
3.      I like loud music.  Loud country music.  When I’m alone in the car, I have to crack the windows to let some of the noise out.  I’m fully aware it’s a public nuisance, and it’s even worse when I have to dance in the car, too.  It’s not pretty, but it’s fun.
4.      I don’t eat meat.  Jodie takes great pleasure in getting the rarest steak she can and then eating it beside me. But I’m not one of those people who care if other people eat meat. It’s just not for me.  So, I’ll never try to change anyone’s mind about carnivorous pursuits.  You’re safe if you want to eat a rare steak beside me. I’ll only complain if it moos.
5.      I ask my teenager random grammar questions.   And I’m tickled pink when he gives me his opinion. 
6.      I live in house full of boys.  I am incredibly grateful my teenager has a girlfriend so I get some estrogen in the air on occasion when she comes to visit.  They still pass gas and act like boys even when she’s here, but it does help to even things out because she’s as appalled by it as I am.
7.      I am the quintessential sports mom. I will sit on the bleachers ALL DAY when my boys are playing. And I’ll scream out the most inappropriate things I can at the most inopportune times.  Do the words “cow bell” mean anything to you?
8.       I’m in my second wave of parenting.  My oldest is sixteen and my youngest is six.  And, yes, even with the same mother and father, they are completely different.  You do everything differently when you’re older.  Small things don’t matter as much, and big things don’t matter unless they smell bad or make you want to heave. 
9.      I have this thing with numbers.  I can’t add 2+2 in my head and get 4, but I can remember number sequences (like phone numbers).
10.  My six-year-old makes me smile. He’s full of life and energy and he laughs so hard that you can’t help laughing with him.  He laughs so hard he snorts.  I want to have that much fun. I usually do. But I don’t snort. Not often. 

There. That’s my (Tammy’s) ten things.  Of course, I’m much too private to give you anything of importance, so I went for funny.  :-)

IT HAPPENED ONE BITE BY LYDIA DARE – IN STORES MARCH 2011
He’s Lost, Trapped, Doomed for All Eternity
Rich, titled and undead, gentleman vampire James Maitland, Lord Kettering, fears himself doomed to a cold and lonely existence—trapped for decades in an abandoned castle. Then, beautiful Scottish witch Blaire Lindsay arrives, and things begin to heat up considerably…
Unless He can Persuade Her to Set Him Free…
Feisty Blaire Lindsay laughs off the local gossip surrounding her mother’s ancestral home—stories of haunting cannot scare off this battle-born witch. But when she discovers the handsome prisoner in the bowels of the castle, Blaire has no idea that she has unleashed anything more than a man who sets her heart on fire…


ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Lydia Dare is the writing team of Tammy Falkner and Jodie Pearson. Both Tammy and Jodie are active members of the Heart of Carolina Romance Writers and live near Raleigh, North Carolina. Their next two books will also feature gentleman vampires: In the Heat of the Bite (July 2011) and Never Been Bit (September 2011)! For more information, please visit http://www.lydiadare.com/.  




In addition to being included in the weekly contest, everyone who comments on today's post will be eligible to win one of two copies of It Happened One Bite. USA and Canada residents only.

8 comments:

Donna Campbell Smith said...

That was delightful! Thanks for sharing. Paul Newman is my favorite, too.

Stacie said...

Well I have things in common with the both of you. Like Jodie I am the oldest of four but I am 9yrs, 10yrs and 17yrs older than my siblings. I was more of a mom/babysitter than sister. But like Tammy I will pay for comfort or good quality. Buying something inexpensive usually means you have to replace it sooner. Really looking forward to reading It Happened One Bite!

user1123 AT comcast DOT net

Shannon said...

Tammy, I don't find people watching antisocial, in fact its one of my favorite past times too and my friends don't understand it either. They always insist I'm not having any fun when in fact I'm having a ball watching people interact.

nadinemccarthy said...

I am like Jodie in that I'm thrifty. But I am on my second round as far as kids go with a 9 year break between the. Parenting is different when you are older but then I'm older than Tammy, too.

nadinemccarthy@hotmail.com

Lori Keizer said...

Tammy--I will pay good money to attend a baseball game, the Cardinals of course, and I watch the people instead. Go figure. My husband says I could do that at the mall, but I'd probably spend just as much money. I'm like Jodie, though. I hate to shop--I'm in and out--but I can spend some serious money.
Thanks for the blog. It was fun to read.

Johanna R Jochum said...

Awesome interveiw Tammy and Jodie, My hubbie is very frugal and I would say cheap too! I spend, spend, spend! LOL! Thanks for sharing with us today!

JustAnswer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lydia Dare said...

Donna - You have that in common with Jodie. I don't even think I know who he is! (I'm ducking, because Jodie's e-throwing something at my head)

Stacie - there's a lot to be said for comfort and quality!

nadinemccarthy - I admire people who are thrifty! I have 9 years between my boys, too! It's like a whole new life!

Lori - I can see odd people anywhere! But I seem to enjoy them more if I've paid for the forum. LOL

Johanna - You and Jodie have something in common!

Thanks for having us today!

Best regards,
The Tammy half of Lydia Dare