Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

What’s your marriage proposal story?

In honor of Valentine’s Day, I thought I’d start a conversation about marriage proposals. My husband proposed to me when he took me out to dinner and I had actually been really sick with the flu for a few days and did not want to go out. My sister knew he was going to propose and she urged me to get ready. My husband had given my engagement ring to the waiter and asked that he put it in the champagne glass that he brought out. I was so out of it, that even after I took a drink, I didn’t notice the ring in the glass. After my husband pointed out the ring, I was surprised, but excited and he got down on one knee and proposed. Of course, I said yes. It was a day I’ll never forget.

What’s your proposal story? I’d love to hear it.

Here is an excerpt of the proposal scene from my latest inspirational romance, Mr. Shipley’s Governess. Find it online

Sophie looked around. “You know, this church looks strangely familiar and I don’t understand why. I’ve never been here before. Have you been here?” She titled her head. “Maybe I’ve just been to a similar church in the past.”

Sebastian put his arm around her as they sat in the pew. “Or maybe you’ve seen photographs of this church.”

“That’s possible. I could just be thinking of all the photographs and information in the guidebook.”

He squeezed her hand. “Could it be that you’ve seen photographs of this church from your parents’ wedding album?”

She looked at him in silence and then the reality of his words dawned on her. “Are you saying--” She dared not finish for fear of crying.

“Yes, my love, your parents got married in this church.”

“But, how did you know?”

“Let’s just say I did some digging, and I really wanted to make this trip to Ireland special for you.”

She sat forward in the pew and took in the serene surroundings. “Wow. That’s all I can say right now.”

“I hope you can say more because, I have something important to ask you.” He knelt down on one knee.

She could barely breathe. Fear and happiness threatened to overtake her at the same time. She watched in amazement as Sebastian began to speak. “Sophie, I love you.” He reached for her hands and held them as he continued. “You are such a beautiful woman inside and out, and I need you in my life. I can’t imagine living my life without you in it, by my side. You are my special treasure and I am asking you to be my wife.”

Pulling back one of her hands, she wiped away the tears on her cheeks. “Will you marry me, Sophie?” He reached into his coat pocket, pulled out a small red velvet box, and opened it. She stared at the sparkling diamond ring inside. Sophie exhaled and moved away slightly. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, just overwhelmed.”

He moved to sit next to her and kissed her lightly on the lips, then leaned back and smiled.

She gently caressed his face. “You really want me to be your wife?”

“I do. Is that so hard to believe?”

“I feel like I’m in a fairy tale and am afraid to dream of a life with you.”

“The dream is real and with God at the center, we can make it possible.”

She started to smile through her tears. “Yes, Sebastian, I’ll marry you.”

He placed the ring on her finger. They kissed and tried to be respectful of the holiness of their surroundings. Sebastian turned to his new fiancée. He kissed her cheek and expressed more vibrancy then she’d ever seen from him. “I’m so excited. You’ve made me the happiest man alive.” They hugged and he twirled her around. She never wanted this moment to end.

Joanne Troppello, Author of Mr. Shipley’s Governess

www.joannetroppello.weebly.com

10 comments:

LuAnn said...

We had gone to church camp for a work party to get the buildings and grounds in order. There was lots of clean up to do. That afternoon, we took a break and walked through the woods surrounding the complex. We came across and outside service area in a small glen and my husband took me in his arms and asked me to marry him. Of course, I said yes.

reading_frenzy at yahoo dot com

lisagk said...

Nothing earth shattering, kind of an afterthought on his way to work, sad, but true. Since it has been almost 33 years, simple must work doncha think?
lisagk@yahoo.com

Maria Zannini said...

Oh, I think this story made the blog rounds a couple of times, but the short and sweet capsule is that he proposed on a busy shopping center in a McDonald's parking lot.

I almost didn't accept, but he convinced me it was the right thing to do. This year will be 36 years.

Michaela said...

I had been best friends with my ex since kindergarten. In third grade we became BF/GF after he passed me the classic note "Check yes or no" during class. Eventually that year, everyone, including our teacher told us we would end up marrying one day. In the fourth grade he moved out of state. Nine years later we met again and it was like we had never been apart. Desert Storm began and he was to leave for bootcamp. When he came home after bootcamp, he got down on one knee asked me to marry him at his house. Right before our wedding we ran into our third grade teacher and told her she was a great seer.

doxymom said...

Mine wasn't earth-shattering either. We were walking through the mall. He was wearing his Grandma's ring on a chain around his neck. He saw me looking and said, "So, you wanna?"

It's been almost 17 years.

doxisrcool at aol.com

Maria said...

Great proposal story...good thing your sister pushed you to go out...
no proposal story here as I am still single:)

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

Virginia said...

Love the proposal story. Mine wasn't great he just proposed to me in the car. Not romantic at all.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

Gabby said...

No proposal story for me either sadly I'm still single as well.

Karin said...

That's a great scene. I don't have a proposal story because I'm still single.

Kammie said...

My husband proposed to me on Valentine's Day. I had no idea it was coming and couldn't stop smiling the rest of the day, weeks, months and years to follow. lol I'm still smiling. Here's hoping there's a lot of proposals tomorrow and lots of happy people. kammie2u at ameritech dot net