Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Valentine Puzzle

Several years ago, when we lived in an old farmhouse, I ordered heart puzzles from Current. On our children’s puzzles, I wrote the usual Happy Valentine Day’s message, then broke the puzzles apart and slid them into envelopes. But on my husband’s heart puzzle, I wrote four special words. To have some fun, I didn’t sign the heart. On the envelope I printed Mr. Craver. Opening his briefcase, I put the envelope inside his grade book. I wanted him to find it while he was at school.

I would have loved to have seen his face when he read my message. By the way, he taught in a van instead of a classroom. Because it was a government program, he wasn’t allowed to teach math inside the private school.

He called me during his lunch time and said, “Someone here put a valentine puzzle in my briefcase. The handwritten message on it is making me very uncomfortable.”

I played dumb. “What’s the message?”

“I want your body.” He paused for a moment. “I think I know the student who did it. She’s in the period right before lunch.”

“Mr. Craver, I’ll confess. It wasn’t a student but your wife.”

This year I’m going to be boring and give my hubby a musical card that plays the song, "You're the One" and a box of dark chocolate peppermint candy. I don’t like dark chocolate so know I won’t be tempted to eat his candy. And I'll probably make a special Italian dinner.

How about you? What do you like to give or receive on Valentine’s Day?

By the way, I used the above Valentine’s message in my book, Never the Same. It’s available from Samhain Publishing. Or you might enjoy reading my sweet contemporary romance, Whitney in Charge published by Desert Breeze. A highly sensual romance, Your Place or Mine, is a fun read, too, for Valentine’s Day.

Here are buying links for all three:
My website:
Check out for monthly giveaways!


Maggie Toussaint said...

How cute, Diane! What a great story about the unsigned puzzle.


Maria Zannini said...

I think I might sign it next time. LOL. Very cute.

We don't trade gifts much any more. Since we live apart most of the time, I'm just happy we're together.

Diane Craver said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! Glad you liked my valentine story!

Being together is the most important thing. Thanks a lot for commenting!

susan said...

I am giving my hubby a wild pair of boxers with hearts all over them and a card. We will go out for lunch to celebrate. I am hoping for a gift card from him as that is what I like best. susan Leech

susan said...

Love this fun filled week end and because I work on week ends I will have to pop in before work but sure do not want to miss anything. This is a super great deal. Thanks to all of the authors here. susan Leech

MomJane said...

What fun. People should realize that just being together is the best of all.

Donna B said...

LOL Oh, to have been a fly on the wall! Did he really think it was from a student??? Oh my...

Kasey said...

LOL. That’s so much fun! I like how nervous he was about who had done it. Good one! I think I’d like the usual: box of chocolates, jewelry, hug, smile, kiss… know what comes after that!

Lisa Alexander Griffin said...

I loved your puzzle story. lol. Too bad it scared your hubby! :)

Cynnara Tregarth said...

I had never considered using a puzzle to show my male how much I love him. I have given him his chocolates, I have a card-- but I was looking for something else to give him that would make him feel special. Maybe that might do it.

Jean P said...

Great story about the puzzle. My husband is so hard to buy for, so it is usually just aftershave and a card.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Sherry Gloag said...

Good job you 'fessed up in time. How embarrassing for you DH if you hadn't told him who put the message in his case!

Diane Craver said...

I love the boxers with the hearts all over them. I bet he will too.

You're right - my sister recently lost her husband to cancer. Being with your loved one is a great gift.

Yes, he did. It was so funny. Thanks for commenting.

Diane Craver said...

Love your comment - you covered everything I love for Valentine's Day. LOL

So glad you stopped by. He was definitely worried but he thought it was cute I tricked him.

Diane Craver said...

I bet you could find a heart puzzle. But sure he will appreciate the chocolates and card too.

It is hard to buy for my husband sometimes so I can relate.

I know - it was a good thing. I knew he'd call me first before he said anything to anyone else. LOL

Elie said...

haha, I missed this post. I love puzzle idea. I want a nice guy for valentines day. ahh, maybe next year.

Diane Craver said...

Hi Elie,
My daughter Christina would like a nice guy for Valentine's Day, too, or anytime.

Glad you liked the puzzle I gave my hubby!

Melissa Blue said...

I like a simple surprise on valentines day. And I always find some little way to surprise my hubby too :)

Isabelle said...

Cute story. :) Last year, I wrote down a list of special moments with my husband. I cut them in strip, folded them up, and put them in a little box that I decorated. He had fun pulling them out and reading them.

flchen1 said...

Great story, Diane! Glad you were able to clear that up ;)

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Diane Craver said...

Melissa,Isabelle, and flchen1,
Thanks for commenting. Love the special moments idea.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! I'm posting the puzzle at my blog today and will do an ebook giveaway. Plus have a monthly Feb. giveaway.