Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Please Help Me – I’m Hooked!

Please Help Me – I’m Hooked!

I’m not only a writer…I’m a bookaholic. Is there a twelve step program for that? When I’m almost finished with one book, I absolutely must have another on standby to avoid the horrors of withdrawal. The symptoms are unmistakable. Sweaty palms. Body twitches. Emotional outbursts. I become desperate. Anything will do. Cereal boxes. Shampoo directions. (wet hair, apply shampoo, lather, rinse, repeat).

I know this sounds like a cop-out, but I can’t help it. It’s in my DNA. I come from a family of bookaholics. The only sound in our home was that of pages turning. When we needed our fix, we piled into the car and slipped into the local library. I was bad from the start. At ten years of age, I sneaked into the adult section when the librarian wasn’t looking. From that point on, it was all downhill. Nobody’s private stash was safe. Before my father got home from work, I devoured his latest John D. McDonald mystery. After my mother drifted off to sleep, it was Katherine Woodiwiss’s romance, The Flame and the Flower. Oh, I was hooked alright.

It was inevitable that I’d get busted. When it finally happened, I was forced to read children’s books which really ticked me off. Nothing juicy. No words to sound out. Just a bunch of prissy girls dressed in pinafores whose very presence made the world a better place. Yeah, right. I wanted something more. I needed something more so I started making up my own stories.

Many years went by before I got the chance to write my books. By then, the word was out. Kids today don’t read. My two word response is: Harry and Potter. And, yes, I’m still hooked on reading but the upside is, I’m hooked on writing too!

Please visit my website at http://www.marileebrothers.com/  and check excerpts and reviews of all my books.

18 comments:

Elie said...

While I have not been reading that long,I have the same problem. I cant NOT be reading a book. I start one AS SOON AS I finish one, it is kinda wierd. This actually got me started blogging. My fam and friends got sick of me talking about books, so I found a community to share with.

linda_rettstatt said...

You don't really want help, do you? After all, there are many worse addictions than the addiction to a good story. So enjoy!

Mrs. Soule said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Soule said...

I felt the same way about children's books once I'd read pages out of the Harlequin rack at the library when my mom was ditracted by my little sister. Took me a year to read The Soldier and the Baby that way!

desitheblonde said...

me i read and then i go and pick another one up asap and then get it done and review

Janet H said...

I've always had my nose in a book. Can't think of anything more fun. I don't want a cure!!!

linda_rettstatt said...

I'm hooked on audiobooks, usually mystery or suspense. I have a 45 minute drive each way to and from work on a very long, boring highway. Audio books keep me sane and shorten the drive.

Kasey said...

Girl, welcome to the club. Us bookaholics got to stick together!:0)
mharris299@gmail.com

Jean P said...

I always have a book on the go, can't imagine not reading, great way to escape the day to day grind

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Virginia said...

You are not alone there are a lot of us in the same boat. I always have another one ready.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

LORETTA CANTON said...

I swear I did the same thing, I read everyone books.

lbcanton
lbcanton@verizon.net

Green Orchid said...

"prissy girls dressed in pinafores"?what were you reading? I started out with The Wizard of OZ( I guess there was a girl in it hmm..) then went to Black Beauty,where I learned that animals have feelings.Then any and every horse book our school librarian could get for me.I also snuck in and read my fathers books and read my parents book of the month books.I've been hooked ever since

Maria Zannini said...

Ref: I’m a bookaholic. Is there a twelve step program for that?

LOL. The question is, why would you want that?

That's one addiction I don't mind having.

Shauna said...

I'm afraid I'm no help. My to-be-read-pile is close to 100 books. Is there a 12-step program for buying books even if you don't have time to read them? :)

jessica said...

I'm a bookaholic too. I wonder if they have a BA group somewhere. I really need to join. I've got way too many books but I'm challenging myself not to bring in anymore books until I get the books I already own under control. . . let's see how long it will last. .

Beth said...

I'm a bookaholic and proud of it. Have been since I was a freshman in high school and discovered Anne McCaffrey's Pern books.
One of my daughters is too. And I'm constantly having to ask for my books back so that I can read them.
Nothing wrong with an addiction to reading, as long as you don't let it interfere with earning a living, so that you can buy more books.

Kasey said...

Yeah, I agree with the others, It’s not a bad addiction in the greater scheme of things.

Joyce said...

I belong to BA too. But as far as addictions go it's not to bad. It at least improves your mind. LOL.