Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Work Inspired by Real Life Events --Annette Snyder

When I was a kid, I read what I had to in school and was glad to be finished with homework so I could play outside.  Then I discovered romance novels.  Barbara Caldwell was the author I read the most and then I branched out to the many authors and styles of Harlequin and I became the very first out of shape pre-teen that our government now warns us about because I spent most of my time reading. 
In high school, I was forced to write.  I didn’t find that the problem most kids did but I wasn’t thrilled with the research, organization and drafts that writing took until one day I found myself enthralled with a paper so much so that I worked for hours without even realizing it.  I was hooked with puzzle like way words could fit together to make a story.  Did I continue to write?  Heck no!  What normal teenager wants to do homework when they don’t have to? It wasn’t until years and years later when I was telling a friend about my day and she said, “You should write a book,” that I even entertained the idea.  Even then, with kids and work and laundry, I was as strapped for time as any young adult is today. 
The pivotal moment came when another friend told me the story of how her relatives arrived in South Dakota.  I listened, trapped in the details of a family migrating across plains of tall grass and stumbling upon a child left for dead.  What a story! That first spark of inspiration made my heart skip a beat.
I was fortunate enough to have grandparents three deep on both family sides when I was growing up and I paid attention to the stories they told about their passages from countries that seemed far away and untamed.  A young girl married off to a man twice her age because he had passage to a country without war.  The three youngest of eight brothers forced by family to flee across an ocean so they wouldn’t be drafted to an army.  A German boy meeting a French girl the night his battalion camped near her hometown just before a war began and they fell in love and ran away to freedom together.   What amazing beginnings and, that’s where I started my writing.  I mixed my friends story with some of mine and wrote Travis Pass, the first in my seven book Travis Pass series.
Then came my WWII series beginning with Viveka’s War, the story of one woman’s battle to live and survive during a time when the world seemed so disheveled. 
And then, Intimate Flames, the first book in my Contemporary series about seven siblings, each with their own story.  Drive Thru is the second book and the third?  Well, as soon as I finish my current project, I might start that one.  Depends what inspires me next. 
Visit my website http://annettesnyder.atspace.com for info on all my work

4 comments:

Elie said...

I like how you put "I was forced to write". Many of todays teens say they don't like to write, but they do, socially. Emails, texting, and other communications with their friends is writing, just not necessarily in fiction form.

zenfoxflowerATyahooDOTcom

Annette said...

and I hated writing about subjects that required research but now that's exactly what I do and love it!

Maria Zannini said...

How lucky you are to have grandparents with so many stories. And how smart you are to know they are important to remember and retell.

Good on you. :)

Annette said...

When I was a kid I knew the stories were important. even when I was young I thought they had to somehow be remembered....my grammie used to tell a funny story about baby chics on the farm and someday I'll put that into words.