Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's Never Too Late

Which is literally true. One of my first ‘masterpieces’ parodied the popular television series Dragnet and was called, appropriately, “Fishnet”. (We won’t even go into the sequel, “Hairnet”.) In elementary school, after a tornado destroyed part of our town and killed 11 people in 1953, predictably we were all nervous whenever the skies darkened. The teacher used to send me to the front of the room to weave a tale that would take away the attention from the weather outside. When I got older, my father used to drag home his heavy upright Underwood typewriter so I could write late into summer nights.

I always intended to ‘get published someday’, but real life interfered. Writing remained only a hobby, even an escape, as I taught school and raised two children alone after their father’s early death. I grew older along with my dreams of being a published author. And then—I retired—and someday arrived.

Learning about writing for publication filled the first year. Publication in a few ezines encouraged me to keep going. A friend recommended The Wild Rose Press, and not quite a year ago, Where Is Papa’s Shining Star? and its sequel, Finding Papa’s Shining Star were released in the Vintage Rose line as ebooks and in print. This April, the Last Rose of Summer Line will be releasing The Showboat Affair. A fourth book, The Face on Miss Fanny’s Wall, was recently contracted by Champagne Books and scheduled for release in 2012.

When I post again, I'll tell you how you can win my books!

Judy Nickles/Gwyneth Greer


Maria Zannini said...

I imagine you have quite a storehouse of story fodder now. I'm glad life has finally given you a chance to tell your stories.

Jean P said...

Your post is inspiring, thank you for sharing it with us.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Kasey said...

Enjoyed reading your post!

flchen1 said...

Congrats on realizing a dream! :)

f dot chen at comcast dot net