Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, February 12, 2011


Some of the most memorable love stories I've ever read did not have a HEA ending. For me, it is not a requirement. I believe a romance book should reflect real life, not fantasy and a story should reach its natural conclusion based on the characters and story you have set in motion. TO THOSE WHO WAIT is that kind of story. Scott and Leah love passionately and fully but their lives are subject to events beyond their control.

Release date: February 2011
Whiskey Creek Press

She hastily crossed the living room and went into the dark kit­chen. Without the light on, she could see the tall silhouette of the person who stood outside. She drew her breath in sharply as she opened the door.
"Hello, Leah." After a moment, he added, "I was afraid you weren't home."
"I was blow drying my hair. I didn't hear you knock."
"May I--come in?"
She quickly stepped back. "Of course."
As he entered, closed the door behind him, she could barely make out his features. She reached for the light switch, remember­ed her terry robe and hesitated. Her hand brushed his arm and he reached out to hold it in his own. Slowly he drew her toward him. She didn't resist. His mouth closed hungrily over hers as he pressed her trembling body closer.
After a long moment, he held her away from him, searched her face in the semi-darkness. "Leah?"
Taking his hand, she led him through the shadowy living room to the room beyond. Beside her bed, she turned to look at him. He held her face in his hands, kissed her forehead, cheeks, her closed eyelids. His hands moved to her shoulders, slipping the robe down to bare her breasts, gently caressing the curves of her body until she stood before him, naked and quivering with desire. He molded her pli­ant form to fit his own, whispering her name, and carefully lowered her to the satin comforter. He covered her with soft kisses until she moaned with pleasure. He made love to her, urgently; then, his first blaze of passion spent, more slowly and playfully, exploring every inch of her smooth skin.
"Scott, oh, Scott," she whispered. "We shouldn't--"
"Shhh. Don't talk." He touched her lips with his fingers. "I've missed you terribly."
"Oh, I've missed you, too."
"I love you, Leah. You can't possibly know how much."
"But you can't --"
He covered her mouth with his own. Then he whispered in her ear, "We do not choose the people we love."

TO THOSE WHO WAIT is scheduled for February release by Whiskey Creek Press. Cover not yet available. For more information on this book, visit my website:


Elie said...

Congrats on your new release! I don't think a HEA is mandatory, but the characters need to be believable.


Raquel Byrnes said...

I love a good HEA, but if the characters take you in a different direction then you gotta go with it. Congratulations by the way!
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Linda Swift said...

Thanks, Elie. And I agree that characters must be believable. And I'd love them all to be happy but "life ain't always like that," is it?

Linda Swift said...

Thanks, Raquel. And I agree that you do have to let your characters go where they will. So I guess we are pantsers, aren't we? I do want them to have a satisfactory ending to their stories, which isn't always a HEA.
But that's life. Linda

Jean P said...

As long as I am not left hanging and wondering, if there isn't a HEA ending, I am fine with it.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Sherry Gloag said...

Great excerpt. I prefer a HEA but if the ending is believable and the characters absorbed me enough I can live without one.

Kasey said...

Like Sherry said, I prefer HEA but it's not a do or die situation for me as well.

Linda Swift said...

Thanks, Sherry and Kasey. Since you are both in agreement here, I'll just reply to both. I hope TO THOSE WHO WAIT will entice my readers to go along for the ride even though the destination may not be where they'd hoped to go. I've heard it said, "It's not the destination, but the journey that's most important." And I promise a good journey! Linda

Maria Zannini said...

I like HEAs, but it's the ones that don't end neatly that linger in my mind longer after I closed the book.

luciatea said...

Congrats on the release! I must admit I don't like stories without a HEA. I read because I want to have a good feeling after I finish a book, and I can feel really bad for a few days after a book with a sad ending...

luciatea01 (at)

Linda Swift said...

Maria, I agree with you. Those that don't end the way I'd like are the ones that linger in my mind. When I'm writing a book, I always want it to end happily but sometimes what is to be, just has to be.

Linda Swift said...

luciatea, thanks for your congrats. And I know what you mean about those bad feelings that I can't get out of my mind. But in TO THOSE WHO LOVE, the H&H made the best of what they had together and did what they had to do. They would not have been the people they were had they not done so. For every act there is a recation, you know. But I don't think the end is entirely sad. Good things do happen. Linda

Donna B said...

HEA is why I love romances. The world has enough sad endings. At least in my reading escape let them find their way!

E.A. West said...

Congratulations on your new release. Wishing you much success!

I'm a sucker for happy endings, so the HEA is pretty much a requirement for me.

Linda Swift said...

Well, Donna B. and E.A., I'm glad I warned my readers about TO THOSE WHO WAIT not having the usual HEA, only a satisfactory conclusion considering all the facts. But...let me recommend my soon to be released SUMMER LOVE, SINGLE STATUS, and THIS TIME FOREVER all of which do have very HEA endings. Happy reading. Linda

Vanessa A. Johnson said...

I think HEA varies for different situations...for me, it's HEN (happily ever now). To me, that's more realistic.

Linda Swift said...

Well, I like that, Vanessa. I hadn't heard it before but it goes along with the one day at a time, doesn't it? Linda