Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Guest post-Sarah J Bradley: Tall, Dark and Inevitable

Happy Valentine's Day!

I was destined to fall in love with a dark haired man.  My very first crush was on Johnny Gage, the brunette paramedic on the TV show "Emergency."  My very first crush on a real boy was a boy named Mike.  Mike was in 7th grade, three older than I, and had dark hair.
And thus started a pattern that continues to this day.

Every celebrity I've had a crush on has had dark hair.  Well, except for James Spader back in the 80's, and really, you had to be made of stone not to have a little something for James Spader back in the 80's.

Most of the real life guys in my dating life had dark hair.  Oh, and yes, I married a brunette.  A tall, dark guy who just happened to fit the pattern perfectly. 

This sort of thing carries over into reading.  Every male character in every book I read is a brunette.  My apologies to the authors of the books, but their physical descriptions mean little to me when it comes to hair color. Some of the biggest romantic literary figures pop to mind: Rhett Butler is a brunette, Mr. Rochester is a brunette, Mr. Darcy is a brunette.  And of course, Heathcliff is a brunette.  Thus, every hero has dark hair.

I don't think I'm alone, either.  I think, when we read, we picture a character the way we want to picture him or her.  I know that when I read, all the heroines look like me.  (A younger, thinner version of me, but still me.) All the heroes, incidentally, either look like David James Elliott (from  the TV show JAG) or Rick Springfield. 

Oddly enough, this sort of spills over into my writing.  Jesse, the hero in my book Dream in Color is, most definitely, a brunette, and yes, he is patterned after a certain celebrity.    The book I'm currently writing, the image of the hero is so clear in my mind, mostly because I found this picture online. 

For me, it's all about the tall, dark and handsome.  How about you?  When you read, do you impose your own image on the male characters or do you imagine a closer image of the author's idea? 

Hey, it's Valentine's weekend.  If you've got a significant other, does he fit your ideal...or your inevitable...profile?  Stop by my website and let me know.

Sarah J. Bradley is lifelong Upper Midwest girl who lives with her college sweetheart husband and her two children in Waukesha, Wisconsin. When not writing or volunteering at her church, Sarah's passions include following her children's sports teams around the county, cheering for the Green Bay Packers and the Detroit Redwings, and, of course, listening to Rick Springfield music.


Virginia said...

Love the cover of this book.


desitheblonde said...

wow i love the book and the cover

doxymom said...

The bookcover is pretty.

So is James Spader in that pic. LOL.

doxisrcool at

Jean P said...

The book cover is very pretty.

Most of the time I imagine the guys I am reading about as being tall, with dark hair, but sometimes as I get into the story, I have to change my perspective.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Sarah J. Bradley said...

Oh thnk you to for the comments about the cover. That's the amazing work of Nicola Martinez at The wild Rose Press. I could not have ever been happier with the cover!

Joyce said...

Most of the time I fall for brunettes also. I always image the heros to be brunette and am sometimes surprised when I go back and find out he is a blond. Probably the only blond I find really sexy is Josh Hollaway from LOST.

Maria Zannini said...

I'll rely on the author to tell me what the hero looks like. But I don't think any two people will get the same kind of image. That's what makes it fun.

Sarah J. Bradley said...

I think you're right Maria! Authors can paint a picture, but I doubt you'll get the same mental image of that picture from any two readers! :)

Maria said... crack me up...I'm a brunette and have always had a soft spot for blondes...yet I've usually dated
by the that picture of James Spader....and he's aged well...yumm!..Love the cover to Dream in Color...addin it to my list!


Sarah J. Bradley said...

James HAS aged well hasn't he? LOVED "Boston Legal." he's on my list as the one blonde. I'm blonde-ish and after 20 years of marriage my husband informs me that he's always liked brunettes. Which slays me because all of his "Crushes" have been blonde or red head.

Cindy L said...

Yes I definitely get an image in my head! It's sometimes disappointing when they make a movie about it and the actor doesn't match my image.


Sarahj said...

Yes, my hubby fits the profile! \O/ <3
I have to agree with Cindy L's comment - it is very disappointing to go to a movie and the image you have in your mind about the actor & it doesn't match up.