Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Guest Blog/Sarah J. Bradley: Don't Hush your Crush!

Happy Valentine's Day!

I have always, always had a celebrity crush.  When I was six, I fell hopelessly and eternally in love with Johnny Gage from the TV show "Emergency."  That started a pattern that continues even now, now that I'm what my oh-so-wise children call "aged."  I still have one or two...okay I've got a list...of celebrity crushes.  (And yes, Johnny Gage is still right up there.  You never forget your first love.)

Admit it, you have a celebrity crush.  In fact, I'm sure you're thinking of him right now.  In the days before the Internet, I thought I was alone. Crushing on a celebrity is something kids do. After all, what grown woman, a woman with children and a husband and a job, would still carry a torch for a celebrity? 

Turns out...just about every woman I've ever met.

Which is what made writing "Dream in Color," such a joy and so much fun. In writing Ramona, my heroine,  I got to tap into my celebrity crushes and talk to hundreds of women about their own little fantasies.  In writing Jesse, my hero, well, my biggest crush is pretty much on display.  (Here's a hint: The working title for the book was "Jesse's Girl.") 



There's nothing dark, or ominous or strange about it...having a crush on one of those out of reach celebrities is just something we girls do.  Once women admitted to me that they had a crush, they could not stop talking about their crush.  (I have frequent conversations with a friend of mine about the picture of Jon Bon Jovi she hides in her sewing room.)
What I've noticed is that some of our favorite, albeit aging, stars are popping up here and there and reaching out to their loyal fans, maybe as a way of saying thank you...or showing a mutual admiration.  That's how I like to think of it anyway.  That is certainly the theme of "Dream in Color."  (Well, that and my great devotion to deep fried cheese.)  

I didn't just talk to fans at concerts about crushes, either.  Turns out, most romance writers can point to an actor or a character in a book or a movie that inspired them to write about love conquering all.  They've taken that crush and made it their work! 

So now, ladies, it's Valentine's Day!  It's love and candles and candy, and maybe a romantic movie or a fun, spicy romance novel. This is the month in which we celebrate romantic love, let's not hush our crush!  Embrace the fact that you've been in love with David Cassidy for more than thirty years.  It's okay!    Admit that you love "Top Gun" because when Tom Cruise kisses Kelly Mcgillis it's magic and you pretend he's kissing you!  Pop "Dirty Dancing" into the DVD player and say it with me, "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."

Oh, it's okay to admit to your husband/boyfriend that you like watching those "Die Hard" movies because you've loved Bruce Willis since the first episode of "Moonlighting."

Go ahead, pull out those old records, sing into your hairbrush or your curling iron, and dream that someday that one celebrity is going to walk through your door and sweep you off your feet! 

Want to talk about your favorite celebrity crush?  I'd love to hear from you!  Stop by my website and let's talk!

Sarah J. Bradley is lifelong Upper Midwest girl who lives with her college sweetheart husband and her two children in Waukesha, Wisconsin. When not writing or volunteering at her church, Sarah's passions include following her children's sports teams around the county, cheering for the Green Bay Packers and the Detroit Redwings, and, of course, listening to Rick Springfield music.

12 comments:

Melissa Blue said...

When I was seven years old I fell hard for Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones... sigh... Your story sounds great especially if your childhood celebrity crush inspired part of it.

mjmuse said...

When I was young I had a crush on Apollo from Battle Star Galactica, Harrison Ford in Star Wars, C. Thomas Howell in The Outsiders, and now Gerard Butler in anything-and without anything too. :P

Maria Zannini said...

I don't think it was a crush, but I was definitely invested in the outcome of Gerard Butler's six-pack in 300. ;)

Jean P said...

I guess my celebrity crush would have been Johnny Depp in 21 Jump Street.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Isabelle said...

When I was younger, it was John Stamos. Mmm, and he's still just as good looking today.

doxymom said...

Your post brought out a lot of memories! I hadn't thought of Johnny Gage in a long time. LOL. I used to watch Emergency all the time. My first big "hero" crush was Han Solo. I don't think I really had a crush on the celebrity, but rather them as the characters.

doxisrcool@aol.com

desitheblonde said...

i like the post do you have autograph pic of them i have over 100 and counting form stars
and other stars

Sherry Gloag said...

For years I had a crush on the British actor Donald Sutherland... until he walked into my shop one day.
Oh well you just go out and replace disallusionment with another crush. Don't you?

Laura Kaye said...

Love this post! My teenage celeb crush is totally humiliating: Prince. LOL I had a huge poster of him in his purple velvet get-up straddling a motorcycle. Fracking hilarious when I think of it now, especially because I saw him in person once years later and he's TINY. My current crush is, um, Rob Pattinson. That may be just as embarrassing to admit. But there it is, my crushes unhushed. LOL

Sarah J. Bradley said...

It's so great to hear from other "crushers!" See, we are all completely normal, healthy, well adjusted humans! Oh, and Han Solo....YOU BETHCA!

My cousin had a crush on Prince...I was a fan and I loved his clothes, always looked awesome! Doxymom...Emergency is out on DVD and I realized a childhood dream last mother's Day when my family completed my collection!

Joyce said...

Oh I have had numerous crushes along the way...Elton John was one of my first crushes and I was so disappointed to find out he was gay. Then I went on to others Tom Selleck, Jack Wagner, Richard Marx, Richard Gere, Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise (although he seemed to clean cut to last for long), Mel Gibson and Anthony Stewart Head (Giles from Buffy TV show). Bruce Springsteen for a little while, it changes and morphs and goes back occasionally.

Sarah J. Bradley said...

Joyce you have an excellent crush life! I just remembered, when you said Tom Selleck, I had a HUGE cruch on Scott BAkula, from "Quantum Leap." I'm rewatching that series with my daughter, and that old crush is coming back!