Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, February 14, 2011



When I was asked to write this blog, Judy wrote: This is a chance for readers to get to know you.

My question: which me do you want to know?

All of us wear many hats. Maybe some of them are daughter, wife, mother, divorcee or widow. Even limiting myself to my writing life, my hat collection is enormous.  My first novel was a Regency-era historical that was born out of my first love, Georgette Heyer’s Regency novels. My book was sexier, having been written during a more permissive time. I moved on to write for Silhouette Romance, which meant short books with the bedroom door closed on intimacy. When I lost my editor and the line closed, I found my career floundering.

Presto, change-o: I created Suz deMello, erotica author, and ventured into the kinky new world of online erotic romance.  Suz writes mostly paranormal erotic romance, and boy, she sure pushes the limits. No closed bedroom doors for Suzie. In fact, nothing is off limits.

But Sue Swift bravely soldiered on, writing her brand of romance, though with more freedom than Silhouette allowed. And more attention: my books published by Five Star have garnered reviews from Kirkus, Booklist and Publishers’ Weekly.

Now, my writing career has slowed while I am editing for Total-E-Bound, a British erotica publisher. While neither writing nor editing are careers I contemplated as a child or even as a young adult, I love my work and believe I have fallen into my dream job.

So what’s the message? If you want to succeed in publishing, be prepared to not only write wonderful books, but learn to be flexible. Adapt to changing times. Seize opportunities as they arise. Think outside the box—hell, destroy the box. It may seem like a cozy cave but really, it isn’t doing anything but hemming you in.

Good luck!

Best-selling, award-winning author Sue Swift has written over a dozen novels, plus several short stories and non-fiction articles. She writes in numerous genres including romance, mystery, paranormal, historical, contemporary comedy and erotica, which she publishes using a pseudonym.

Her books have been favorably reviewed in Publisher’s Weekly, Kirkus and Booklist, attained the finals of the RITA and reached the top ten on a bestseller list.

A former trial attorney, her hobbies are yoga and world travel. She resides in northern California, where she’s working on her next manuscript, planning her tenth trip overseas and editing erotica for a British publisher, Total-E-Bound.

Her travel blogs are Susan Overseas ( and Travel as Metaphor ( 


Hot isn't a hot enough word to describe corporate raider Fletcher Wolf, but since he's suing couturier Cara Fletcher for, oh, a gazillion dollars, she figures she shouldn't hit on him…at least not too hard.

On top of that, she wonders if he's responsible for the harassment and vandalism that's plaguing her, irritants that escalate into crimes when her workshop is trashed to the tune of a hundred thousand dollars. The economic damage enables him to seize her company, bringing him into her life on a daily basis. When her Manhattan loft home is torched and her assistant murdered, Cara realizes that the man she wants is the only man who can keep her safe.

Swift, author of Spy Game (2008), mixes sex, danger, and fashion in this fun…romantic suspense novel that will appeal to readers of traditional romance as well as fans of sexy mysteries like Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum capers. Aleksandra Walker, Booklist



desitheblonde said...

have great day i wont be on log got to work
but the book is great i like the cover

Sue Swift said...


Cindy Sample said...

Hi Sue. Very cute. I enjoyed learning more about you. I love the cover and premise of FASHION VICTIM and I'm ordering it as soon as I hit the send button on this comment.

Happy Valentine's to all of those romantics who write and read these great stories.

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

GREAT post, Sue!

And boy are you ever right, you never know what the publishing biz will throw at you next. WTG on being flexible and getting rid of that 'box.'


StephB said...

Sue, Yep, I wear a million different hats, too. Great to learn a little about you and I love the cover for Fashion Victim.


Rochelle French said...

Sue - great post! I love how your various incarnations cross all spectrums of romance writing--from sweet to steamy!

Susilien said...

I love the insites into your writing career. I hope to be checking out your books soon.