Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Five Unusual Gifts for Valentine's Day by Gina Ardito

Over on my own blog, a few friends and I participate in something we call the Friday Five where we list five of anything. This was my post yesterday. I thought it might be fun to share it here, as well.

Monday is Valentine's Day. Love it or loathe it, you don't dare see your significant other if you're not armed with a card (minimum) or jewelry (maximum). But what if your cuddle bunny is a bit...non-traditional? Never fear. The cosmos have conspired to come up with some rather unusual choices for you. Take a gander:

1. Name a cockroach after your sweetheart. No joke. The Bronx Zoo is offering the opportunity to name one of their more than 50,000 Madagascar hissing cockroaches after the light of your life for the low, low price of $10. Because, as their ad says, "Roaches are forever." (Personally, I'd rather have a chicken named after me. Oh, wait! I do have a chicken named after me. So...there ya go.)

2. Bacon. Oh, but not just any bacon. Chocolate covered bacon. Go hog wild (pardon the pun!) and try the whole bacon gift box, which includes bacon caramel toffee and bacon chocolate pancake mix.

3. Give him/her your heart. No, really. This anatomically correct plush heart beats and pulsates when you shake it.

4. Sweetie's got a thing for Bubble Wrap? Look no further than the Infinite Bubble Wrap Keychain! Yes, (s)he can pop and pop and pop with realistic sounds, along with random noises. And it renews itself after each pop. Because bubble wrap should be eternal. 

5. Does your honey tell (s)he wants nothing? Then here ya go! Yes, it's Nothing.

Glad I could help make your holiday shopping a little more fun.


Mrs. Soule said...

Ok, the cockroach thing is awesome. Not that I want one named after me. Or my sweetheart. Maybe certain relatives though. :-)

Gina Ardito/Katherine Brandon said...

When I told my husband about it, he asked for one. So the 50k of roaches, there'll be at least one named "Filippo." LOL

Word Actress said...

These are bizarro proving yet again there is no one way to love or express ur love! Mary Kennedy Eastham, Author, The Shadow of a Dog I Can't Forget, the upcoming novel Night Surfing and the book in the idea concept The Girl With Sand in Her Hair

Margaret said...

Bacon (in all forms) is always welcome in my house! Fun post!

Kasey said...

Yuk! Roaches…dang, your partner would have to have a sense of humor for that one. And the others ones….my man better not get me nothing! :0) Love this entry. Made me LAUGH!

Jean P said...

Love the bacon idea. My husband would not be thrilled about the cockroach idea though.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

elizabeth noble said...

LOL...the cockroach naming made me laugh. There is a place near where I work that sells the chocolate covered bacon.


Elie said...

Fun post, but a few of them-YUCK.

Maria Zannini said...

I know several people who'd like the bubblewrap keychain.

Cindy L said...

LOL!! How fun are these! I think my boys would like the bubble wrap keychain. I think I would become annoyed after a while!


Donna B said...

LOL - for the person who has everything there is surely something in this list for them. ROFLOL

Judy said...

Those are for the individual who has everything. My husband would go ahead and commit me if I named a cockroach after him:)


heavy hedonist said...

Never forget the Bacon-maple ice cream! Or the bacon-chocolate chip cookies!

I prefer the Gift of Nothing, perfect for the man ho has everything.

flchen1 said...

ROFL! Those are hilarious ideas--thanks for the suggestions!

f dot chen at comcast dot net