Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Attraction

I know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, and some people may have the will power to do that, but sometimes the cover is what attracts us to a book. It's the first thing we see and what pulls our hand to the shelf to take a further look. So, in my opinion, covers are extremely important. They need to entice you.

It's really no different that when we're looking for a mate.

Again, they say not to judge people by their looks, but before you talk to someone, before you get to know their likes, dislikes, passions, you see their face and eyes and smile. And in my opinion, if there isn't a spark, a tingle...SOMETHING when you look into their eyes, how can you build a relationship?

Maybe it's my ultra romantic heart in overdrive here...that love at first sight thing! But there's gotta be something to it!!

I think the same can be said for book covers. You see the cover and it should ignite something in you..something that says "You must read me. You must take me home. You know you want to!" And just like the hot guy who later turns out to be a jerk, you do need to find out what's inside before you make a commitment, but the cover still matters. That cover gets you to look inside.

At Lyrical Press, Inc, my publisher, they have several graphic designers who do cover art for their books. Fantastic artists! One of the things that immediately drew me to Lyrical was their amazing covers.

For my debut, A Bitch Named Karma, I had no clue what to expect. It was my first book. And what I got immediately sucked me in. Simplistic and sexy...it was perfect!


The next one was Paradise Cove and when I opened the email with the cover art, my jaw dropped. It was amazing!!


For Soap Dreams, I had no expectations, but what they did represents the story: young love!


Thanks so much for stopping by!! Have a great day!!

Stephanie

10 comments:

Cate Masters said...

I agree, Stephanie - gorgeous covers! Congrats!
cate.masters at gmail.com

doxymom said...

Too often I buy books due to the covers.

Your covers are really pretty. I like Soap Dreams.

Jean P said...

Love those covers, I find it is often the covers that draw me into the book.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Mindi said...

Stephenie,

Wow those covers are amazing. and I agree as well about judging a book. For me I still do it when I go into bookstore or shop online. We still go to the one cover that hits that sore spot in our eyes and draws us in.

perisquire30 said...

Stephanie, these are all wonderful covers! Lucky you. I agree, the cover is what grabs your attention...I know it is for me. For printed books, I also can get drawn in by the feel of the cover...something I'll miss with ebooks.

~Roni Lynne

Joyce said...

I agree covers are often what draw me to a book but usually it's the blurb that keeps me interested.

Maria Zannini said...

You have definitely been blessed by the cover gods.

Maria said...

They say that you only get one chance to make a first impression and a book cover is just that..the first impression that your book gets to make to a potential buyer...it's very important! I usually look at the book cover and read the blurb and make my decision based on those two things:)

The cover artist for your books - did you proud!

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

Cindy L said...

Those are great covers Stephanie! I sadly do judge my books by their covers! Sometimes I have to close my eyes and skip to the excerpt to give it a fair shot.

cbandy10(at)hotmail(dot)com

Stephanie said...

Huge thanks to everyone!!!! It makes me so happy and so proud that you all like my covers!!! I too need to read the blurb and read the first page or two inside before I will make a purchase, but the cover...man it is so important!!! So it makes me feel really good that you all like my covers so much!! :)

LOL Maria- the cover gods!! I do agree though, I have been blessed with fantastic covers!! :)

Thanks everyone!!!