Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, January 21, 2011

GUEST BLOG: MARY BURTON

Write.  Bake.  Feast.
Baking isn’t just about food for me.  It is a valuable utensil in my writer’s tool kit.   When a pesky book character gives me attitude and won’t reveal their secrets, I head to the kitchen.  When a plot won’t untangle, I pull out the pots and pans.  And when the pieces of a novel just won’t come together, I get to mixing batter, whipping butter cream or icing a cake.  The kitchen is where I work out just about every tough story question. 
Why does baking work to unravel a story problem?  I’ve no hard and fast evidence on this one, but my theory is that baking engages the creative side of the brain just as writing does.   Typing endlessly can land our brains in a rut and the best way to free it is to try another creative endeavor.
I’m hoping your New Year’s resolutions don’t have anything to do with diet.  If it does, feel free to jump past the cookie recipe I’m about to share.  (Warning: these cookies are darn good and you might be sorry you skipped over them.) 
This isn’t my recipe but one created by my friends Nancy and Mike who were kind enough to share.  Some (meaning me) have called these cookies sinful, too delicious and a real diet buster.  But they are well worth the time it takes to bake and they are the perfect companion to a cup of tea and a favorite book.   
Senselessly Sinful Cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup oil
3 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup corn flakes
12 oz chocolate chips
Cream butter with sugar.  Add egg.  Stir in milk, vanilla and oil.   In a different bowl mix in flour, baking powder and salt.  Gradually, mix dry ingredients into wet batter.  Mix well and add oats and then corn flakes.  Finally, mix in chocolate chips.  Chill the dough for about an hour and then scope onto greased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degree for 8 to 10 minutes.  
Mary Burton captivates readers with stories of mystery, crime and relationships--destined to keep readers on the edge of their seats.  Her January 2010 book SENSELESS is a romantic suspense set in Virginia.  When she’s not writing her latest novel, she is most definitely in the kitchen cooking.

No comments: