Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, January 28, 2011


Decisions! Decisions! Decisions!
Oh, whatever am I going to write! A dramatic murder suspense? A scary page-turning paranormal? A love story for the age? Oh, so many possibilities run rapid through my mind staring at a blank page! Why then am I drawn to historical suspense/romance? Why does the past conjure up so many tales to be told?
Perhaps because I romanticize the past. Or perhaps it’s a connection to the past I seek. I only know that I love the challenge of recreating a bit of history to be told again. I’ll let you in on a little secret. I love history. And as you might suspect with my writings on the American Revolution, I find this period of time utterly fascinating. So many ideas swirl around my little head when I do research and none more so than when I was doing research for Patriot Secrets.
My research led me to speculate about women’s roles during the American Revolution. Nothing was more dangerous at that time than spying. The price of being caught for a man was hanging. For a woman? Let’s just say that I don’t think men, both American and British, thought women capable of such a deception. I believe they were and would have been efficient in their efforts. The women seemed to have been just as passionate for their cause as the men of that time. Case and point, Margaret Kemble Gage, American born wife of General Thomas Gage, Commander of the British Army at the beginning of the American Revolution in Boston. Did you know that it was highly suspected that Margaret Gage supplied information to Patriot leaders? It was suspected she may have even given the information that led to the famous ride of Paul Revere. Her punishment, General Gage sent her to England. Although for another woman, I doubt the punishment would have been so lenient especially after the war began to turn in favor of the Patriot cause. There were harsh consequences for anyone at that point. 
After the research I let my imagination go. I love running with a premise such as a woman spying against the British. I love strong women who have to overcome obstacles to obtain their desires. And Patriot Secrets took on a life of its own after I started it. What more could I have asked for- intrigue, mystery and danger!
In my historical writings, my goal is to take a reader back in time. I know as a reader myself I want a book that allows me to escape from the world around me at least for the few hours. As an author I strive to create that escape.

I'm just a little Southern girl who loves stories. Growing up I had always had a dream to write. Stories always brewed in my head. I love to read almost as much as I love to write. I love to read because you can dream. I love to write to put down in words those dreams. I have have worked in the hospital setting for well over twenty years, but ten years ago I began following my dream of writing with the encouragement of my husband. My first book was an autobiography on my father, They Called Him CoachDream Walker, a paranormal suspense book, was published in 2008 by Wild Child Publishing. Patriot Secrets is the first of my historical romance/suspense books in my American Revolution series.  Please check out my website.



R.Wright said...

Enjoyed the book! Hope it has a sequel!

Joan B. said...

Love historicals. I don't see much with the American Revolution. Sounds interesting.

Laura Breck said...

Hi Jerri, great blog! I'm excited to read Patriot Secrets.

Jerri Hines/Carrie James-Haynes said...

Thanks! Appreciate the thoughts!

Sherry Gloag said...

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing